“One of the "Best" Western”

Magnuson Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #422 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

If you want a place to stay in mid town this is one of the better Best Westerns around. I am a Best Western Diamond Club member and highly rate this hotel. The rooms are impeccably clean and the service from check in to check out was great. For business or pleasure this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Joel1951

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I'm surprised this hotel doesn't have tons of positive reviews! Last year I stayed at 'The New Yorker' hotel, and had a horrendous experience (a poor review has been left for them). So this year I decided to try this Best Western after a recommendation from a friend. This hotel is small and narrow (just look at the picture). It has a small breakfast area and one elevator. The building is so small that there are only 2-3 rooms per floor! The rooms are also very small, we could comfortably put 3 people in our room, but any more people and luggage and it would be impossible to move around.

HOWEVER! This place is close to the subway and the Javits, and the staff is AWESOME. By the end of our stay we knew the front desk staff by name (and they knew ours) and they ALWAYS said hello to us when we came and went. Free breakfast every morning, and it's a very generous buffet. Make your own belgium waffle station, yogurt, bagels, eggs....it's a delicious selection. The eating area is small, but the staff had no issue with us taking the food up to our rooms to eat.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. The location is awesome, the staff is genuine and kind, the free breakfast is generous (and appreciated in a very expensive city!). And the room rates were fair. Just know that this place isn't huge, and it's no Waldorf. But it does have a lot of character and heart. I'm looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kat0S11
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Overall Experience:

Good!

This hotel is suitable for anyone who wanted to be out at all times and come to the hotel for sleep/breakfast - just like B&B hotel (Bed & Breakfast).

I would state this hotel as 3 star hotel as they clean your bedroom everyday with fresh towels.
The room is less spacious however can fit your items around. The bed is comfortable to sleep on however during the night time, you will have perhaps 1 or 2 roaring trains coming past which woke me up but I've managed to gone back to sleep (which is fine!).

The breakfast was nice especially waffles- my mom & I loved it! The atmosphere is nice but the security guard was very helpful and friendly especially giving my family advices about attractions & etc. The reception were very helpful too as telling me what time is the best to go different places.

This hotel is tiny tower compared to others but the area is O.K. as you have 24 hrs garage opposite you and by the corner of 8th Ave - you have 24/7 shop with all the items you will need to require (personal essentials and food/drinks).

Basically I would come back here again however this is not a luxury hotel - it is suitable for budget or backpackers who wanted to sleep/eat then go out all day around New York skyline/attractions.

The only downside about this hotel is -emailing to the hotel. It was awful. The conversation was not O.K. as I used my simple English to the receptionist to ask about pre-authorisation charge for the hotel. Their standard of conversation and professionalism in emails- were poor - a huge difference compare to my job where-areas I have used the sensible respectful attitude and with a nice paragraph to explain about my situation. I was quite frustrated when they only cared about the money, not customer care! Anyway it was lucky that it turned out fine when we all arrived the hotel.

I wouldn't come back to hotel - I would look for more luxury and professional hotel.

However this is a good hotel for anyone who's looking for all day outings and only stay there for sleep/breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor got the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

When I arrived at the Best Western Convention Centre, I was greeted by a cheerful employee and was made to feel welcome right away. After suffering a 2 hour delay (sitting on a plane for 2 hours before taking off) and arriving in a downpour, this was a nice treat. As I was the only traveller, I was given a very small room (but that made no difference to me as it included everything I needed and was quiet). Breakfast, each morning, was wonderful (despite the fact that the breakfast room was tiny - nonetheless, I simply took my breakfast back to my room on the first floor) and the free Wifi was great (at some points, at others it would disconnect randomly... hope they look at their wifi connection, it could use a bit of work). Other than that, I would easily stay at this hotel again. Prompt, courteous service. Walking distance to Times Square and located in a nice quiet area of the city.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. My view on the first floor was limited (i.e. 90% of a brick wall...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Adrian G
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights here & yes the room was small for a family of 4. Strange chair & lamp that were broken & not needed that could have freed up some much needed space. However the room was located at the back of the hotel so quite. Breakfast was busy & always a queue for somewhere to sit, however the food was good. The area never bothered us & felt safe walking home. With only a 10 minute walk or a $10 cab fare to Time Square I think it was good value for money as a base to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank JBards
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The front desk told us ( 9 business people ) that in order to check in, he need to charge each credit card a $10-0 security deposit and also make a scan copy of our drivers license and credit card we were using for the room charge- so that the hotel could "prove that you stayed here, in case you call the credit card company after your stay and dispute the charges. Shows you what type of guests they normally get- obviously not the normal legitimate business traveler. Complete invasion of privacy- its one thing to show your ID upon check in- a completely other thing to scan it and the credit card....Rooms were TINY and overlooked the train tracks. .I will never stay here or at a Best Western again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank remedywoman
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Really poor hotel, bad welcome by an old BW man who said to move my bike out from the entrance. Really bad breakfast, awfull neighborhood, and unclean bed where it scratches us all night, noisy AC, small room, not good at allfor that all money

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple