“Thieves.”

Magnuson Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #429 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked this hotel simply because it was available to us for "free", using our credit card points.

The hotel is set in a beat-down part of the city. Not much around, but it's a 10 minute walk away from the lively part of NYC.

Rooms were standard for a "Best Western", and breakfast was alright. Our stay was average up till the very end, when we were quite disappointed.

#1. We got charged $100 + Tax for checking out half an hour past their check-out time. I understand that we were in breach of the check-out time, but felt that $100 for 30 minutes was a bit harsh.

#2. In haste of packing, we left our brand new 64 GB iPad Mini in the room. We called the hotel immediately upon realizing this, however they claim that no iPad Mini was turned into Lost & Found. I am quite confident that somebody walked away with it. Can't really point any fingers at this point. What added insult to injury was the extreme nonchalance displayed by the staff at the hotel. I was essentially told that the hotel is not responsible for items left in the room.

Wrote to their Customer Care department, but that effort was in vain as well.

All in all, I don't think that the staff working at the hotel is particularly honest. It may be a "one off", but our experience at this joint has left a sour taste - and we will not be returning here, or to any other Best Western any time soon!

Room Tip: Try any other hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tuhin B

Reviewed December 18, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MICHELLE B
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Although the location is perhaps not the best, this hotel more than met my needs for a Thanksgiving weekend stay. My room with two double beds was a decent size (for NYC standards). The room was clean and the beds firm but comfortable. There appeared to be a brand new flat screen TV in the room too.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Free wifi in the room was reliable. The room was cleaned in a timely manner. The free breakfast was more than I had planned for - it included hot items such as scrambled eggs and a waffle maker, as well as danishes, various breads, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juices. It was replenished several times.

I realized on my second day that the heat in my room wasn't working. The front desk sent someone up quickly to have a look and then he returned with a portable heater for me to use for the rest of my stay.

Across the street from the hotel is a 24 hour taxi repair shop. I didn't hear any noise from it but it doesn't look the greatest. There's not much else right around the hotel, so I took taxis at night since I was on my own. I also heard the occasional train whistle.

I am not used to paying for the hotel to store my bags after checkout, but it was only $1 per bag.

The price that I paid was half of what other hotels were charging (booked directly through BW website). Overall, I would stay here again if I was with someone, but I'm not sure that I would if I was on my own.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BrendaM23
Reviewed December 8, 2012

2  Thank JAMES A
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is an older property close to the convention center. Its situated in an area that's somewhat run down. There is quite a bit of graffity visible as you arrive at the front of the propery. My wife did'nt feel safe staying in this area. To be honest my first immpression of the area was not good. Reluctantly we stayed for two night's without incident. Although I would'nt recommend walking in that area after dark.

2  Thank Flatfoots
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel was clean and friendly. It's a little off the beaten path, unless you're going to the Convention Center, but we never had trouble getting a cab. The only issue we had was that there was no hot water on Saturday morning but it was fine the other two days we were there.

Room Tip: There is an occasional train that comes by so try to stay on a higher floor. We were on the 11th (t...
1  Thank Louise A
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The place is clean, the furnishings are new-ish, free breakfast, in-room safe that holds two laptops and the mattress firm and comfortable. But bring earplugs because there's a 24-7 taxi garage across the street that does mechanical and body work all night. Also the Amtrak train blows through with a blasting horn.

But wearing earplugs is a small trade-off for a reasonable rate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business