“Good for 1 person not a family”

Magnuson Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #410 of 466 Hotels in New York City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Although the location is perhaps not the best, this hotel more than met my needs for a Thanksgiving weekend stay. My room with two double beds was a decent size (for NYC standards). The room was clean and the beds firm but comfortable. There appeared to be a brand new flat screen TV in the room too.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Free wifi in the room was reliable. The room was cleaned in a timely manner. The free breakfast was more than I had planned for - it included hot items such as scrambled eggs and a waffle maker, as well as danishes, various breads, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juices. It was replenished several times.

I realized on my second day that the heat in my room wasn't working. The front desk sent someone up quickly to have a look and then he returned with a portable heater for me to use for the rest of my stay.

Across the street from the hotel is a 24 hour taxi repair shop. I didn't hear any noise from it but it doesn't look the greatest. There's not much else right around the hotel, so I took taxis at night since I was on my own. I also heard the occasional train whistle.

I am not used to paying for the hotel to store my bags after checkout, but it was only $1 per bag.

The price that I paid was half of what other hotels were charging (booked directly through BW website). Overall, I would stay here again if I was with someone, but I'm not sure that I would if I was on my own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BrendaM23
Alice, Texas
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is an older property close to the convention center. Its situated in an area that's somewhat run down. There is quite a bit of graffity visible as you arrive at the front of the propery. My wife did'nt feel safe staying in this area. To be honest my first immpression of the area was not good. Reluctantly we stayed for two night's without incident. Although I would'nt recommend walking in that area after dark.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Flatfoots
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel was clean and friendly. It's a little off the beaten path, unless you're going to the Convention Center, but we never had trouble getting a cab. The only issue we had was that there was no hot water on Saturday morning but it was fine the other two days we were there.

Room Tip: There is an occasional train that comes by so try to stay on a higher floor. We were on the 11th (t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Louise A
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The place is clean, the furnishings are new-ish, free breakfast, in-room safe that holds two laptops and the mattress firm and comfortable. But bring earplugs because there's a 24-7 taxi garage across the street that does mechanical and body work all night. Also the Amtrak train blows through with a blasting horn.

But wearing earplugs is a small trade-off for a reasonable rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from November 14, 2012 to November 18, 2012. My room was spotless, the bed is very comfortable. Check in was quick and efficient. The hotel staff are extremely friendly. The hotel is walking distance to many attraction and walk to Time Square. This is my first time at this hotel in New York and I will definitively stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo