“Clean Friendly and Affordable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Magnuson Convention Center Hotel

Magnuson Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #391 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Clean Friendly and Affordable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from November 14, 2012 to November 18, 2012. My room was spotless, the bed is very comfortable. Check in was quick and efficient. The hotel staff are extremely friendly. The hotel is walking distance to many attraction and walk to Time Square. This is my first time at this hotel in New York and I will definitively stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

After taking a New England Cruise we stayed in NYC for 6 days. Before the cruise we stayed one night at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Brooklyn. A very nice hotel not too far from the cruise terminal. It was less expensive than this Best Western and a bit larger. However it is in Brooklyn and we did not want to spend time commuting back and forth especially if we wanted to stay in Manhattan till late in the evening.

Finding an affordable, clean hotel that is near Times Square area isn't easy. This hotel fits the bill. Its located on 38th St. between 10th & 11th Ave. That's just four very short blocks (from 38th to 42nd) and 2 long blocks (from 10th to 8th ave) to get to 42nd St. & 8th Ave.

We had 3 rooms with two double-beds each (two of the rooms we had 3 people per room and the 3rd room just 2 of us). The rooms are small (which is normal for hotels in NYC unless you want to pay an arm & a leg.) Like many hotels in NYC, the buildings are 'small and tall'. I think there were only like 8 rooms per floor but the building was 12 stories. But you're here to sleep and shower. We did end up spending more time than anticipated in the hotel because we arrived (Sat) just before Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast (Monday). So we spent Monday relaxing in the hotel, watching TV and playing cards downstairs in the breakfast area.

The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. They provide breakfast everyday downstairs in their breakfast area. The eggs were powered but they had a waffle maker and fresh batter so the waffles were great. They also had pastry and fresh fruit along with yogurt and coffee and orange and apple juice. This gives you a good start for the day and of course saves you money since eating out in NYC which isn't exactly inexpensive.

There is a 24 hour Duane Read Drugstore at the corner of 38th St. & 10th Ave. and a deli near the corner of 37th & 10th. Of course just four blocks up on 42nd St. & 10th Ave. there are numerous places to eat along 10th as well as down 42nd Ave.

We had purchased (in advance) tickets to see Mary Poppins at the Amsterdam Theater which is on 42nd St. (btwn 8th & 7th) and fortunately our tickets were for Sunday afternoon. All the theaters were closed for Sunday evening due to the storm. After the show we grabbed a bite to each nearby as places were closing up early due to Hurricane Sandy's approach. the Subway was scheduled to close at 7pm so stores and shops were closing around 5pm so they could lockup and employees could take the subway or buses to go home. Of course our hotel is close by so no need for a taxi or metro.

On Monday pretty much everything was closed up but we were able to order dinner from a Chinese Restaurant and they delivered it to the hotel. (We later saw the restaurant was located on 42nd between 9th & 10th). They must have been doing a lot of delivery business that evening with virtually everything closed up. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. They were the ones who told us about the Chinese Restaurant and about a Diner which was also open on Monday when everything else was closed. We were planning to order from the Diner but by the time we wanted to order it was too late for them to deliver. On the following evening (Tuesday) we walked over to the diner (Skylight Diner on 34th Street and 9th Ave.) to order some take-out. Great food at reasonable prices.

The staff at the hotel were very helpful. In addition to telling us where we could get food during the storm, they arranged transportation for us to the airport. Normally they could schedule a towncar to drive us but due to the hurricane, the car company wasn't able to get gas. (Also the City was limiting vehicles crossing the bridges into Manhattan requiring the cars to have 3 people.) So the hotel arranged for Airlink, the airport shuttle service, to drive us to LaGuardia. (Note: FYI...you can't call on the phone for a taxi to come to the hotel to drive you. something I didn't know till we got to NYC.)

Note: while 38th st. between 10th & 11th Ave. is somewhat 'industrial' it was quite safe even late at night. when returning to the hotel at night we would walk down 42nd St. making a right turn on 10th Ave and then walk down 10th till we turned right onto 38th St.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Archie L
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in September, the hotel is ok I suppose, I did not find any problems with cleanliness, the room was cleaned every day.. but there was some issues I did not like..
First of all if your a light sleeper, find somewhere else to stay or wear ear plugs.. because if you get a room which faces the road you'll be kept up all night by the 24hour 7 day a week taxi garage!!! and it does not matter what time of night it is, they will use power tools and panel beat panels on yellow cabs all night long.. as well as shouting across the street to one another at 3am!
If you get a room on the back side of the hotel then you have the massive construction site to look at and they get to work very early! also with loud power tools and machinery! and if neither of those will wake you, the AMTRACK train will at 7am blasting his horn constantly as he goes underneath the hotel in the tunnel! which in a way is good as if you leave for breakfast downstairs any later than 7:30am then you will have to stand around and wait for a seat.
"The breakfast room" if you can call it that, was soooo small, there was just a handfull of seats to sit prob a hotel that can have 160 guests, so standing around waiting for someone to finish their breakfast and leave really put me in a bad mood for the day and when you get to a seat and choose your breakfast there is not much to choose from,. Being British we are not used to a chocolate muffin or a cake for breakfast! also grab a yogurt if you can as when there is none left they wont restock, was told by a rude chinese man that there wont be no more till tomorrow!
they have a waffle maker which to be honest was the best bit of breakfast i had, i had to make it myself but at least it was food unlike the dodgy powdered eggs they had there!
Also I recommend that you double check the price you pay at the end of your stay, as we was over charged but did not realise till we got back home to the UK and saw our credit card bill, a extra £100 was taken!
One Good point, the wifi is free and had a good signal in the rooms and downstairs in the lobby

Room Tip: dont get a room which faces the front of the hotel because of the 24/7 taxi repair garage!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Momoko1979
wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My brother partner and my brothers son are all staying at this hotel and due to hurricaine sandy I've been constantly visiting then to ensure that they are ok. On visiting the hotel I've witnessed first hand the horrendous customer service. The managers attitude towards frightened customers( hurricaine sandy) was absolutely shocking and I'm glad I paid that little bit more to stay in a hotel (newyorker) where the staff are amazing from the start of the storm and are still accomadating us now as we are stuck in newyork for another week. I'm not a complainer at all and have stayed in some of the worse places in the world, all I want in a hotel is good customer service and some compassion shown in bad times, none of these were shown!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dai25149

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Newport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am writing this review from my hotel bed at the BW Convention Centre Hotel as myself and my family are stranded in the middle of hurricane sandy! To be in a surreal situation like this on your first time in NYC is scary but it would be made better with comfort of your hotel staff!! NOT IN THIS HOTEL!! Completely exploiting our position by trying to gain from it and the service from day 1 was disgusting! The manager who I believe is 'Annie' is the rudest most unhelpful person I have ever had the displeasure to meet! She was rude on arrival, I was told by my travel counsellor that hotels in NYC would have no issues contacting your transfer operator on your behalf as you need to confirm 24 hours before, all other parties in up to 6 hotels had no problem with this, ours did! They refused and told us to do it ourselves from the room, despite having never doing this before and incurring a charge to be taken from your security deposit!! On top of that the room was tiny! I cannot complain about the cleanliness as fresh towels were put out everyday! It started to get worse when the storm was expected! As you would imagine a couple from South Wales is not used to these situations, I informed the hotel first thing in the morning that we were due to leave that our flight had been cancelled due to the situation and the next flight we could get would be four more days, the reply I got was "you will still have to check out at 12" which as you imagine when there is up to 50 mph winds outside is not the reply you want! I informed them our tour operator would be getting in touch!
At 12 we were forced to rebook with this hotel due to the weather situation, then we were told that despite the fact that all flights into NYC were cancelled and no-one would be using our room we still had to move rooms!! Myself my parter and his five year old son had to pack and leave from a double queen bed room to a one king bed room for the same price we originally paid!! And we still got disgustingly rude service!! So we had to pack! Move three stories down and stay at this crap hole!
It's in a horrible part of NYC, it isn't far to Times Square/ the shops but its dated, old and the outlook is shabby!!
I am not usually a complainer and have never used this site before but I am so annoyed at the service we have received in this disastrous situation that I must leave a review! I can deal with small rooms and crap breakfast but the level of service we have received is quite simply dire!!
Do not stay at this hotel! It is especially not reassuring in a situation like this when your scared and require a little reassurance but all you get is rudeness!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Kallycraven
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was a decent hotel in my opinion. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable,but it was extremely small. But, it is the city after all. The rate was reasonable for NYC. The surronding neighborhood is OK, but, be careful after dark. But, this was a decent hotel and a reasonable rate for NYC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tdb_11
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here for one night only, but were pleasantly surprised at the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff here. It is also a real plus to have Enterprise parking right next door, a real value at only $40 a night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple