“Great location, bad studio” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Signature Mini Suites of Minetta

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Signature Mini Suites of Minetta
You added Signature Mini Suites of Minetta to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   9 Minetta Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Greenwich Village)   |
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great location, bad studio”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

You got the feeling as soon as you walked in that this place was not clean - there was nothing that screamed dirty, but you just got that feeling.. I had read the rewies, AFTER, my partner booked the place.
The shower head and hose was taped together with sticky tape and did not stay in the holder, meaning that you had to sit in the bottom of the shower holding the hose.....the bathroom window was shattered and again, taped together.
On the up side, the rooftop is great for having a glass of wine and relaxing and the location suited us well.
If a few simple things were fixed up, it would be so much better!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank kirstyandjeremy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Oyster Bay, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

Before my stay, through Tripadvisor, I already knew what I was in for. This place was cheap and in a perfect location for our needs: a place to crash for one night in West Village. I was promised a "junior one bedroom" which had an extra bed since I had my 12 year old daughter with me and my husband. We go to check in at some office around the corner, no one was at the office where we were told to check in (it was closed and no instructions were given) so we walked a few blocks to the hotel (we found a posted notice with a few phone numbers) and called the concierge/super who got there in a few minutes and took us up to a teeny studio apt room with one bed. When I told him that this was not what we were promised, he made a few phone calls and told us to wait in the room for few hours (at 7pm!). Well, after the few hours he could not help us so the three of us had to sleep together in a queen size bed. Whatever, over and done with, or so I thought. Few days later I go online and see that I have been charged more than double what I was quoted! So I call the office and speak to the woman who originally made the reservation. I told her what happened and gave some apology. She said I would get a refund but never called me back to confirm it. I called again the next day, the woman is not there and I'm on the phone with accounting explaining what happened all over again and I'm thisclose to just refuting the whole damn charge. Please be careful if you decide to try to stay here, get everything you can in writing, or you may be sleeping out in the streets!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank mlublin

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Strathalbyn, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

travelling with teenagers at the best of time is difficult, and after staying in hotels for three weeks the mini apartment was to say the least, on first impressions very disappointing. However, the location won us over with the hop on/hop off bus stopping across the road on Carmine, the restaurants everywhere, the bakeries with their luscious afternoon tea cakes far too close, and a $12 taxi ride from Time Square what more did we need. The beds were comfy, one quilt cover had a fight with paint some time ago, as did the mattress, you could sit on the bed cook tea and do the dishes at the same time, but why not multi-task! it looked grotty, but a wipe of the floor with a wet paper towel dispelled that fear, absolutely spotless. the spa bath was magnificent. I would have liked instructions for that and the coffee machine. Maybe leaving some paper towels, dish washing liquid and a plug for the kitchen basin wouldnt break the bank of the owner, surely. I left some, and some vegemite for good measure. the dude that booked us in really couldnt be bothered. There was no information about services nearby like a laundry. The clock radio didnt work, and yes there were missing tiles in the bathroom. but we had no cockroaches or bed bugs, one up on Disney! But after 4 nights we were sad to leave our ground floor shoebox.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tiredkate
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Pull up a chair and grab a cocktail--this is going to be brutally honest and we'll say it all. First of all, the only reason I rated it a "1 out of 5" is because it wouldn't let me submit the review without actually acknowledging the hotel's rating. This is the kind of place that you'd see in some seedy mid-'70s drug lord/action movie that has a main character who squats in a crack den. 9 Minetta? Way too shabby to be that crack den.

Please note, my wife and I lived in Park Slope and then on the Upper West Side for 6 years, vacationed to NYC and traveled here on business more than 15 times in the last 2 years, and it's our home away from home. We know the place pretty well and have stayed at plenty of hotels in all parts of the City. We are objective, rational people, own our own business and work our backsides off for a living. The economy may be down, but there are no excuses for what this pathetic property lays out for its guests. Here are the A-Zs of our less than 24 hour stay at the worst hotel we've ever been to on any continent by an extreme long shot:

Upon arrival, no sign. Didn't know where it was, which building, etc. Couldn't find the address as it was dark and there were also no lights in front. It was yellow--for those of you who decide to mistakenly brave going there after reading this--and it looked like a 4-story tenament. Also, upon arrival, you are to call--from your cell phone--the "manager" for him to let you in. After calling (from inside the car that picked us up at JFK), about 10 minutes later a guy strolls down the street like he's got nothing better to do than smoke a cigarette. We waved, he waved, then he commences telling us how to let ourselves into the front door. Forget the pleasantries, that would've been above and beyond. The guy looked disheveled and ill-dressed, had no "managerial presence" and we wouldn't have known he was even the manager had he not held up his cell phone and waved. In addition, he did not speak English very well.

We get into the archaic front door to the "lobby." The "lobby" is just a long, steep staircase that leads right up into the building. It's clear this is a converted 4 story, 4-on-a-floor apartment building that's now being called a "hotel." We understand that this is a "no frills" property, but there is absolutely no staff, no concierge, no maid service, no nothing. No elevator either--we carried our bags up 3 flights to our room and the manager didn't help until I asked him to.

As soon as we walked into the room, my wife knew that this place was going to be horrible--she even let out a little squeak! Not a good sign...The walls had hand prints on them, the carpet in the hallway was thread-bare, the railings were wobbly, the floors uneven, etc. And all the "manager" wanted to do was get us to sign his little check-in form so he could officially check us in and he could retire to his lair. I told him no, and that he'd have to wait until we inspected the room. Twenty minutes later I had plenty to tell him, mainly the following:

MOLD in the bathroom--not just a little, but all around the doorjam, around the mirror, outer base of the bathtub and on the floor.

Floor tiles in the bathroom were missing--about 30-40 of them. They were those little 2" x 2" ones and they're about 1/4" thick, so everywhere they were missing was an opportunity for a toe-stubbing adventure.

Broken window over the tub "fixed" with clear packing tape. A tall, narrow window with a one foot diameter asterisk-shaped crack loomed over the bathtub. All that kept the glass from falling were 4 or 5 pieces of packing tape that were clinging on for dear life.

No shades on the lamps, coffee maker didn't work, TV didn't work (barely got one channel that was only audible through the snow), phone didn't work--it came apart in my hands. Air conditioner? Yes. However, it was mounted up high and sounded like Krakatoa erupting when we turned it on, and probably hadn't been serviced since it was installed 20+ years ago. It cooled the room slightly. The furniture was filthy and we didn't want to sit on it. The bed was scary--we literally could squeeze the mattress flat in our hands, and it sat on a flat coil of springs. No extra anything. Not even toilet paper. When asked about maid service the "manager" said he didn't know about it and that we should speak to the management company in the morning when they opened.

He also had no answer as to why there wasn't any soap, shampoo, etc. So we ended up going to CVS to get a bunch of items later.

The main problems here were twofold: we were DESPERATE to get a hotel as it was graduation weekend for NYU and Columbia and we needed to go to the City for business last minute, so the pickings were slim. Also, we didn't really want to spend over $850/night for the last minute, 3-night stay. We spent the next couple hours of the evening (checked in around 8pm) calling everywhere we could to find a different place for the following 2 nights.

It was truly a terrible experience, and to feel like there's no one to call, no one to hear you and no one to help when all you want is an answer, made the experience far worse than it actually could have been.

The company that runs this property has no business being in the hospitality market. Their policies are terrible, their staff is unhelpful and discourteous, their properties are disgusting. Whatever you do, do not stay here.

If you'd like a few other suggestions, we'd be happy to name them--for all budgets.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
9 Thank TravelLovingDesigner
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Small room, max. 20m2, bathroom included (!) while advertised as 30m2. No (space for) table and chairs. Very shabby entrance hall and staircase. Shower broken, damaged shower hose. No batteries in remote for airco. Only 3 towels for 5 days (for 2 persons). No wifi. No checkin but forced to go to the office of the agency 3 streets further. For this price you'd better rent yourself a hotel room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cecilia_NL
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We recently stayed at Signature Mini Suites Of Minetta New York. The location is fantastic, subway around the corner West 4th St station. Located in Greenwich Village you are close to some great restaurants and convenience stores. The room itself is basic. The bed was comfy, there is no soap or shampoo etc. We did have a spare set of sheets in the cupboard. The towels were not changed during our stay nor was our room serviced. In fact I saw no staff in the 10days I stayed there. There is no lift in the building so if you are not capable of carrying your cases up stairs this is not for you. The building and our room needed some maintenance work. In saying this I would stay they again purely because of the location and $$. If you want no frills - this place could work for you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dirtyharryau
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

This really is nothing more than 3 star accommodation. Very small, no elevator, BUT comfortable bed, TV, bath, plenty of hot water, rooftop terrace, and most importantly, fabulous location. We stayed 5 nights and I really felt like I was living like a local. Close to NYC so some good value for money restaurants nearby too. As long as you are not looking for luxury you will love it. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple