“AWFUL SERVICE, AWFUL FOOD.” 1 of 5 bubbles

West End Bar & Grill
Ranked #672 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: West End Bar & Grill is the newest addition to the Hell's Kitchen dining scene. Occupying the corner of 49th & 8th Avenue, West End Bar & Grill offers a refreshing array of craft and artisanal beers, hand crafted cocktails, and a seasonally inspired menu by Executive Chef Jim Hanley. Whether you prefer a dark, intimate dinner or a post-theater nightcap, West End Bar & Grill's high back banquettes, large windows and 30 foot mahogany bar offer the flexibility to perfectly tailor your afternoon or evening with us. Our weekend brunch serves as the perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of nearby Times Square, while our pre-theater dinner offers a quick and delicious bite before the show. Nestled among the chain restaurants and cookie cutter concepts populating the Great White Way, West End Bar & Grill remains dedicated to a fresh and personalized dining experience served up with the best hospitality New York City has to offer.
Northern NJ, USA
“AWFUL SERVICE, AWFUL FOOD.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We ate here on a quiet Sunday morning. It took us about half an hour to even be asked for our drink order. The food arrived about 40 minutes after ordering and was AWFUL. My husband's panino (singular panino, plural panini) was burnt to a crisp. My "corn waffle" was a mush pancake. My accompanying pork chop was awful meat, overcooked. We were so disappointed because the ambiance was wonderful and the menu looked interesting. Don't bother. Waste of money.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Much needed simplicity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I loved this place so much because it was a simple burger and beer place amongst the high-end specialized restaurants. They did the basics perfectly. Great prices for NYC. Very casual. It felt like home!

Visited May 2012
Largo, Florida
“Excellent food, romantic setting, great service. But a little small on the portion size.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Went here for dinner on a Friday night based on a local recommendation, and it turned out to be our favorite meal of the whole trip. Dim lighting with candlelight at each table, this turned out to be a fairly romantic setting. There's a large bar and TVs at the front of the restaurant, so a little more quiet in the back. My husband ordered the pumpkin ravioli, which he described as somewhere between pumpkin pie and a doughnut. It was amazing. Really, really amazing. He also ordered a honey lager, which was recommended to accompany the ravioli. He said the taste combo was sensational, and the beer actually brought out new flavors in the ravioli.
I ordered the appetizer lobster tacos and a side salad. I wasn't too hungry, but still the tacos were very small (3 of them on 6" corn tortillas). Very tasty though. Dressing was delicious on the salad, which was just some mixed greens.
Service was great - quick and attentive. Only weird part was that my husband left to run to our hotel and grab an umbrella, while I stayed to take care of the check. But the waitress, even though she caught my eye, would not ask me if I wanted the check until my husband came back. Granted, if she wasn't looking for wedding rings, she might have assumed we were just on a date and didn't want the lady paying for the check. But it was a little irritating.
Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant. But we were both hungry a few hours later. I wouldn't describe it as expensive by New York standards, but our meal was just shy of $50 before the tip. To me, that's a lot to still be hungry at the end, and the only reason why I couldn't give it a full 5 stars.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Singapore
“Surprisingly good food and atmosphere on 8th Ave”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

The place is close to Times Square, and in that area sometimes the quality of food is sacrificed. However this place proved to be the exception: excellent food and very nice atmosphere. Good for either a quick dinner or drinks.

Visited June 2012
Arizona
“Great Burger Even Better Fries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Super close to all theaters and they have a great burger and even better fries. Great service.

Visited May 2012