“Much needed simplicity”

Ranked #982 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: West End Bar & Grill is the newest addition to the Hell's Kitchen dining scene. Occupying the corner of 49th & 8th Avenue, West End Bar & Grill offers a refreshing array of craft and artisanal beers, hand crafted cocktails, and a seasonally inspired menu by Executive Chef Jim Hanley. Whether you prefer a dark, intimate dinner or a post-theater nightcap, West End Bar & Grill's high back banquettes, large windows and 30 foot mahogany bar offer the flexibility to perfectly tailor your afternoon or evening with us. Our weekend brunch serves as the perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of nearby Times Square, while our pre-theater dinner offers a quick and delicious bite before the show. Nestled among the chain restaurants and cookie cutter concepts populating the Great White Way, West End Bar & Grill remains dedicated to a fresh and personalized dining experience served up with the best hospitality New York City has to offer.
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I loved this place so much because it was a simple burger and beer place amongst the high-end specialized restaurants. They did the basics perfectly. Great prices for NYC. Very casual. It felt like home!

There are newer reviews for West End Bar & Grill

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Went here for dinner on a Friday night based on a local recommendation, and it turned out to be our favorite meal of the whole trip. Dim lighting with candlelight at each table, this turned out to be a fairly romantic setting. There's a large bar and TVs at the front of the restaurant, so a little more quiet in the back. My husband ordered the pumpkin ravioli, which he described as somewhere between pumpkin pie and a doughnut. It was amazing. Really, really amazing. He also ordered a honey lager, which was recommended to accompany the ravioli. He said the taste combo was sensational, and the beer actually brought out new flavors in the ravioli.
I ordered the appetizer lobster tacos and a side salad. I wasn't too hungry, but still the tacos were very small (3 of them on 6" corn tortillas). Very tasty though. Dressing was delicious on the salad, which was just some mixed greens.
Service was great - quick and attentive. Only weird part was that my husband left to run to our hotel and grab an umbrella, while I stayed to take care of the check. But the waitress, even though she caught my eye, would not ask me if I wanted the check until my husband came back. Granted, if she wasn't looking for wedding rings, she might have assumed we were just on a date and didn't want the lady paying for the check. But it was a little irritating.
Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant. But we were both hungry a few hours later. I wouldn't describe it as expensive by New York standards, but our meal was just shy of $50 before the tip. To me, that's a lot to still be hungry at the end, and the only reason why I couldn't give it a full 5 stars.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

The place is close to Times Square, and in that area sometimes the quality of food is sacrificed. However this place proved to be the exception: excellent food and very nice atmosphere. Good for either a quick dinner or drinks.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Super close to all theaters and they have a great burger and even better fries. Great service.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Was close to our hotel. Had lunch there one day. Good burgers and service. It was a hopping place in the evenings when we walked past it, but we had a leisurly lunch and enjoyed it very much.