“Excellent food in a noisy environment”
Review of P.J. Clarke's

P.J. Clarke's
Ranked #559 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had dinner there after an exhausting day roaming the city.
Food is excellent, as service, but as table are very close you keep having a terrible noise making it hard to have a conversation at normal voice level and as such adding to the global rumbling.
Stil interesting to try if you unfortunately happen to stay at the Empire hotel and are too tired / lazy to investigate other options

Reviewed August 13, 2014

My wife and I were running late for our performance at Lincoln Center, so we skipped dinner before the show (which began at 8:00 p.m.). Afterwards, we were starving, so we stopped at PJ Clarke's right across the street for a late night meal.

The restaurant was still busy (aroudn 9:45 p.m.) but we were seated within 10 minutes. As it was a beautiful August evening, they had the side doors opened to the street (63rd) and we were seated with a beautiful view of Lincoln Center.

We opted to share the Saturday special, "Saloon Style" Rib Eye Steak and it came with sauteed green beans. We added a side of sweet potato fries, French onion soup, and New England style clam chowder.

The title of the review begins with "bad start" because we were underwhelmed with the soups. My wife had the French onion soup and said it was "nothing special" and was a little bland. I had the New England style clam chowder and it, too, was bland even after I added salt and ground pepper. Additionally, there weren't many clams in it and the chowder was to watery in my opinion for a New England clam chowder.

Please note, however, that our disappointment with the soups did not stop both us from finishing them (maybe because we were starving?).

That was quickly forgotten when the steak arrived. Fourteen ounces of pure culinary joy! It was perfectly seasoned and juicy. The sweet potato fries were very good and there was so much that I couldn't finish them all. My wife like the sauteed green beans but noted that it had a little too much garlic in it for her taste.

We stayed for dessert and, upon the recommendation or our server, shared the apple cobbler with ice cream. It was excellent, the best apple cobbler I've had in a long time. The size was just right for two people to share.

Overall, we were highly impressed with the service and, even though it was a slow start, the food was excellent so that we had a great evening by the end.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

I could not hear myself think in this place. We found itvery convenient for the opera but have decided that my hearing needed a break.They serve decent food but it is just too much of a mad house for us to continue unless you love the frenzy.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great hostess, seated right away, very professional server. Had the seafood "tower" loaded with oysters, clams, shrimp, lobster, and crab. The tuna tartare tacos and the short rib spring rolls were outstanding. Just love the atmosphere, energy, and history of this place. All around a fantastic restaurant, can't wait to go again, wish we had one in Sarasota.Ties for best meal we had in N.Y. with the Knickerbocker Bar and Grill.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Myself and my gf ate here on one of our last night's staying at The Empire Hotel, and OH MY GOD...you gotta try the Mac n Cheese!