“Don't miss it!”

Ranked #4 of 453 Dessert in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am sometimes known as the cupcake queen as I love them so much. I visit as many bakeries as possible across the country and do little reviews along the way. I have had some that were wonderful and some that were so bad I couldn't finish them so I feel that I know what it takes to make a good cupcake. We found this bakery while meandering through the Village on a Sunday evening. Upon seeing their claim of being in the top 10 nationwide, I felt compelled to check them out. I tried a vanilla on vanilla for 'testing' purposes. It was very good. However, my husband got the peach cobbler and WOW! It is now in my top 3 all time cupcake favorites. It was moist yet had a tiny bit of crispness on the top that gave it that something special. A wonderful mix of peaches, cinnamon and butter. I may have to make a special trip to NYC soon for a more extensive taste test and review.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Never a city have I traveled that I didn't look for a cupcake shop.... This was cupcake heaven. The minute you walk in the door was a treat! Every flavor plus some I've never heard of. Yes, I almost had one of each... Ok, had 8 different kinds!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am an amateur baker, so I feel I know what I should expect from a good cupcake. To say that I am still in awe is an understament. These are by far the best cupcakes I have ever had - forget Sprinkles, Georgetown and Crumbs - this is where to go for a good cupcake. I bought the regular vanilla, chocolate, carrot cake and red velvet. The best Red velvet - moist and flavorful. I also bought the filled cupcakes: Cookie Monster with a nice filled center, the Peanut Butter and Nutella - the nutella in the middle blends perfectly with the peanut butter, Cake batter - with real cake batter in the middle, boston cream and the most decadent one was the creme brulee. Do not leave the store witout trying this work of art! Price for regular cupcakes with your choice of frosting are between $2.75 and the more sophisticated are like $3.75. Not cheap, but your are paying for quality - my total for a dozen cupcakes came close to $50ish. But my kids were happy and so was I!

1  Thank Missy M
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The great "boutique" cupcake wars have certainly heated up of late. I'm not personally the world's biggest cake fan, but I've been known to indulge in both Sprinkles and Melissa's in NYC. Molly's Cupcakes triumphs over the other two, if we're being honest.

I had never heard of Molly's, nor knew that it apparently won "Cupcake Wars" or something like that. On a recent trip to the City, my compatriots and I stumbled into the shop after grabbing a bite to eat on Bleecker Street. We were simply drawn in by the promise of espresso and the cool chain-link bench chairs suspended from the ceiling and anchored to the floor. A light mocha or caffè latte sounded nice.

45 minutes later, we had consumed four cupcakes and played multiple games of Connect Four.

TASTES:
Unlike the pedestrian morsels you'll find at Sprinkles and its imitators, Molly's attempts to push the envelope with more, shall we say, adventurous designs. My girlfriend had a shockingly tasty cookie dough cupcake - complete with a latent chocolate-chip dough center. I indulged a peanut-butter-and-Nutella concoction that hid a dollop of the hazelnut spread in its core. All had the same attention to detail with the ingredients and were expertly made. I should add that the espresso bar served up some excellent drinks.

RECOMMENDATION:
Again, the difference is that food shouldn't just strive for the "tried and true"...it should also surprise and delight. That especially applies to desserts. Sprinkles certainly has its upper-class starkness and Stepford Wives-esque plasticity down to a T, but Molly's is where the true dessert philosophers should indulge their senses.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Nice shop, great cupcakes and cookies, and their espresso is outstanding.

Prompt service with a smile, excellent location.