Beauty & Essex
Reserve with OpenTable
Beauty & Essex is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Stanton & Rivington
Transit: by Train: F, J, M, or Z train to Delancey/Essex Street. by Bus: M9 or 14A to Essex Street
Description: Located in the historic Essex Street Market Building, Essex is a loft-like multi-level space with contemporary cuisine inspired by the flavors of the Lower East Side. Essex is known for its weekday dinner and happy hour specials as well as its lively weekend dinner and bar scene. The weekend brunch is a New York institution and is always a top pick on Open Table Diner’s Choice and other sites. The expansive layout allows for intimate balcony and banquette seating as well as festive group dining and private parties.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Beauty & Essex is a great restaurant, in many ways. But you have to decide if you want to deal with the "are you hip/beautiful/celebrityish enough to make the grade? Alas, I have little patience for that. Friends visiting NYC got a last minute reservation only because they had made it through their Amex concierge service. They were wowed at getting in.I was less so. Winding through the crowd to reach our table, I was aware that there were tons of A-list 30-somethings making the scene, spending too much money on being seen with the latest "It" cocktail in hand. If that's what you are striving for, then Beauty & Essex is the place for you. Food (lots of shared tapas) was yum. Price: well every learning experience has its price, right?

Write a ReviewReviews (1,726)

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is wonderful and the pawn shop entrance makes it very cool. Be sure to get the chocolate cake. They cover it in a chocolate shell that's to die for. All of the food was amazing and I loved how they offered virgin cocktails for kids. I was afraid to try Kale but it is actually very delicious. Not touristy at all and a must when in NYC

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed the entrance and the food was very good and so was our wine .. I just didn't feel we got what we paid for .. I may return but I'm not a fan of being in a hot clostrophobic environment and we couldn't even squeeze through .. I also thought 35$ for what was supposed to be a tuna dinner came out as a mini app and same for our scallops ... The tomato soup dumplings where amazing !!! That may be why why go back LOL .. But they siding seat is till 1 hoo after our reservation... However the birthday girl had a great time and they allowed us to being our own cake ... The bill came to about 75$ a person after all was said and done and that was without desert so bring your money !!! Also the bar bathroom I will say was an awesome touch !!! That may be something else that will bring me back

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Having read reviews before heading to Beauty and Essex we weren't really sure what to expect. We'd booked a table for 9:45pm and lucky we did, as this place was seriously busy.

We made our way through the front pawn shop, and then through the heavily guarded back door, and as the door opened the atmosphere and music hit us. We made our way through the well dress crowd to the front desk, where we checked in, our table wasn't quite ready so we headed to the bar to get a drink.

Both the upstairs and downstairs bars were very busy, and it took a while to get a drink and find a space in which to drink it, but after a short wait we were shown to our table. The music was still very loud in the dinning area, but created a fun, party atmosphere. The waitress was extremely helpful and explained the small plate menu to us in full, recommending that for the two of us we chose between 5 & 6 dishes. We chose 5 and this was more than enough for the two of us. All dishes were delicious, and beautifully present. Firm favourites were the dumplings in tomato soup, served of individual spoons, and the peanut butter and jelly creme brûlée (I enjoyed this slightly more than my husband).

We ordered a bottle of wine that was kept behind the bar, and the waitress tentative replenished our glasses when required. The service was great, and was all topped off by the free (small tip) champagne bar in the ladies toilets...be warned NO photos aloud...I learnt from my mistake!

This place is very cool, with a rather beautiful cliental, I maybe wouldn't recommend it for an intimate dinner date, but certainly for drinks and good fun food with friends.

We left feeling we had had a real experience, and not just a meal out. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

A few of my business partners recommended this restaurant while I was entertaining clients in NYC. This was perfect. its tapas style and they make sure everyone gets one of everything. We ordered probably around 10 dishes and it was perfect! The beet, goat cheese bread, short ribs and tacos were to die for!!!