“Wildly interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Beauty & Essex

Beauty & Essex
Reserve with OpenTable
Beauty & Essex is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Stanton & Rivington
Transit: by Train: F, J, M, or Z train to Delancey/Essex Street. by Bus: M9 or 14A to Essex Street
Description: Located in the historic Essex Street Market Building, Essex is a loft-like multi-level space with contemporary cuisine inspired by the flavors of the Lower East Side. Essex is known for its weekday dinner and happy hour specials as well as its lively weekend dinner and bar scene. The weekend brunch is a New York institution and is always a top pick on Open Table Diner’s Choice and other sites. The expansive layout allows for intimate balcony and banquette seating as well as festive group dining and private parties.
new orleans
“Wildly interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The confusing entrance into a homey pawn shop, is countered by a second door that transports you through a portal into a first class club scene. Here glasses of champagne and fancy cocktails are whisked around by sexy cocktail gals. It is the scene. The food has high points. The root vegetables and salads were good. The lobster tacos were phenomenal. The bone marrow appetizer was good. Chicken meatballs, monkfish General Tao style left me unsatisfied with flavors and execution. All in all a good fun experience.

• Visited September 2012

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
montreal
“can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Love love love love this place!
First time ever on Sunday December 30th; we made reservations for 10pm; there wasn't a line but the inside was PACKED! it was still comfortable enough to move around and order drinks.
This place has such a cool concept; I love the pawn shop before heading into the bar; it's very unique.
Once inside; the place was really happening; the decor was fabulous; the music was amazing and the crowd was very good looking too. It's a dress to impress kind of crowd- but not too over the top. While we waited for our table; we ordered drinks at the bar and then my friend and I headed to the bathroom downstairs, and I kid you not; there's a separate party going on in the ladies room! There's free champagne; music; couches to lounge on; and everyone is just mingling. My friend and I sat down for at least 10-15 minutes just mingling with the other girls in the wash room until we felt bad for our boyfriends and went back up.
The food was amazing as well! This place is good for drinks and tapas;; we ordered 5-6 tapas and just shared along the way. No complaints about the food. And i need to mention the music again because It was just amazing; a lot of 90's-00's hits
Staff is very nice, the vibe is excellent, prices are average (10-15$ per tapas). Definitely going back here if I visit NYC in the future

“Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I love this restaurant.
I was highly recommended to me by friends so I ensure to make a dinner reservation there on my recent visit to NYC.
The food was good (great snacking foods before a night out) BUT more importantly the vibe/atmosphere at the place was fantastic, very buzzing, great music and full of trendy hip people. I will definitely be returning here soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very Hip & Trendy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I read lots of reviews about this restaurant having been recommended. It is such a great experience. It's young and vibrant filled with beautiful people and despite being mid forties I did not feel out of place!! As previous people have mentioned, it is set behind a pawn shop. We were greeted inside by very friendly hostesses. Our table wasn't ready so we did a bit of people watching at the bar. A complete mix of people from a girl's night out, to a romantic couple, to business people. We were shown to our table by a lovely waitress who explained the process of ordering. It is manly tapas style but we ordered individual starters and shared our mains. We were given great advice by our waitress. I'm sorry to hear that Mr Andre A had a bad experience because our food was amazing. Each meal was delicious and I can honestly say that I wasn't going for the food, more the atmosphere but 10/10 to B&E for both. The restaurant is based a long way from Times Square (where I was staying) but it was so worth the taxi drive.

Wiltshire, UK
“WOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This place looks mysterious from the outside....the front is a pawn shop, but step past the door and you're transported into a very swanky cocktail bar and restaurant.
The food is to die for. If you love eatin, lots of small different bits, go for it. They do small plates, lots to choose from and everything is a taste sensation. If they're still on the menu, have the Lobster Tacos.....

Visited December 2012