“Good bagel, egg and cheese sandwich.”
Review of Ess-a-Bagel

Ess-a-Bagel
Ranked #13 of 394 Bakeries in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We ate here our first morning in the city. We wanted an authentic NY bagel and we got it. We shared a egg and cheese bagel sandwich on a whole grain bagel and it was fabulous. Great flavor and very soft inside. My wife got a chocolate crawler too, it was average. But the experience was interesting and fun.

Not sure if we will brave the crowds next time we are in town, but the food was good, the atmosphere was genuine NY and the service was what you would expect from a NY bagel shop...hurried and annoyed. (But that is half of what makes it authentic NY)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I can't believe I almost didn't go here because of some of the critical reviews (particularly people who said they were rude). I didn't find them rude at all. It is a very crowded restaurant and the people behind the counter were definitely business like, but not rude. My daughter is not the most decisive nor a quick orderer yet they listened carefully and did not seem annoyed at all. Even if they had been rude, the food would have been worth it! My husband and I both got the nova lox & bagel. Mine was on an everything bagel. As another reviewer stated, it was everything only on one side not both which is why I have given it 4 stars instead of 5. I ate the bagel as a sandwich not each side individually, so I didn't notice the one sided flavors. It was a very tasty bagel - soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Don't know how it compares to other NYC bagel spots, but for an out of towner, this was good.

1  Thank yogachick23
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here many times and always enjoy it. The everything bagel is my favorite, while my wife prefers the sesame. My go to spread is the lox cream cheese and my wife likes the plain. Sometimes we get them toasted and at other times we don't. I think it depends on whether or not we want a little added crunch. We ate here twice over a long weekend and the first time was a little better than the second because of a mix up on my bagel that resulted in me getting lox rather than lox spread. I accepted it and paid for it and enjoyed it---I just hadn't planned on getting a breakfast sandwich---there were not many slices of lox and I had read of similar issues. All in all, it is a fun place to eat and watch visitors who are unfamiliar with the ordering process look like deer in the headlights. I think the confusion occurs when people walk to the take out bagels only area instead of getting a "dressed" bagel in the regular line when they want it to go. The servers seem to take it in good stride because they seem to realize that their idea of speedy service just doesn't jive with some first time visitors. The bagels are large, fresh, and a perfect way to start the day. I knocked down the ratings by one circle because of the mix up on receiving lox rather than lox spread one day. I guess I could have refused it but hey, sometimes you roll with the punches.

1  Thank 1NCfoodie
Reviewed August 14, 2013

So much choice of fillings & bagels & at good prices. I was here twice at 6 a.m. but the third time when I fancied a bagel for lunch I gave up becaue the line was so long. Great place for an early breakfast though.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

There are many excellent bagels in this city but these are the BEST bagels. Why? Warm, chewy, and huge. The experience is NY too. You walk in to the most delicious smell and you will see two lines. Along the wall on the left is the bagel sandwich line... it is always long and getting a sandwich increases the cash outlay. But, for those of us who need bagels for the week, we go to the smaller counter on the back wall and get a baker's dozen of warm (sometimes hot) delicious bagels. You can ask for a small (or big) container of cream cheese or butter or lox spread.