“Where is the love” 2 of 5 bubbles

Jazz on the Park
kk
“Where is the love”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed there in 2009 because I had to move from another Jazz Hostel - they were full. So the first one was absolutely great. But then coming to UWS...what a disappointment. The rooms were crappy, I had a big spring poking in my back, the kitchen (?) facilities were in a quite unusable state. Some people were moved to another building at check in (I got the last bed in the same house) even though they had reservations...and all the guests seemed to be in an unsocial mood. I am not sure if this was influenced by the hostel itself or if it was just not my stay there...anyway, I would never go back there, even if it's a budget option in NY and even if I really love UWS. No more jazz, I had enough of the cold atmosphere there.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Bourne T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Was here as part of a G Adventures trip in June. We were meant to be at another hostel but for some reason, we were moved here as our starting point. I have to say I didn't have the best experience. When I arrived, hot and tired after travelling across NYC with a massive backpack, and let them know I was part of a tour group meeting at the hostel, I was met with a blank stare after being ignored for several minutes. They seemed to have no idea what was going on, and when I eventually got let into the 'secure' locker room for baggage, I was treated with something barely better than contempt. My sleeping bag was missing when I picked up my backpack later that day, so the luggage room can't be that secure!

The rooms were unattractive, and there was no obvious way of activating any air conditioning, so I lay in my own sweat all night on their velour sheets. Lovely.

On a plus note - when I lamented the loss of my sleeping bag at reception the next day, there was a really helpful guy at the desk who actually went out of his way to help and gave me his own spare sleeping bag - he was great. Everyone else - not so much!

The bathrooms were adequate in size and the showers worked fine, so no trouble there.

Generally speaking I wouldn't rush back, there are plenty of better-located, nicer options in New York.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Laura D

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I arrived at Jazz on The Park somewhat by accident. I was originally meant to stay at another hostel in Harlem, but when I arrived, after an 6 hour flight from London and a 60 minute journey on the Subway from JFK and a equally long cab ride from Columbus Circus to the original hostel on to be told by the manager of said hostel that they were closed for 6 weeks for renovation, to add insult to injury, I realised I had left my mobile phone charger at home! Somewhat speechless, I asked the manager if there were any other hostels within walking distance, he suggested Jazz On The Park "only 8-10 minutes walk away". It was dusk when I arrived at the original hostel, but by the time I got to Jazz, it was almost pitch black. I was cold and very tired when I entered the hostel, I was greeted by a very friendly guy who listened with interest to my story, and he was sympathetic to my plight. He put me into a room with 4 bunks and assured me I would be on my own until the following day, so I could at least have a peaceful nights sleep.

I climbed the stairs to my dorm-room, it was kind of small but i didn't mind, I put my things down went and brushed my teeth and got unpack a bit, then i slipped into my comfortable bed and drifted off to a deep sleep.
The room was very clean, with four lockers by the door and a window looking out onto West 106th Street.

The shower/bathroom was, again, very clean and perfectly proportioned with 3/4 shower cubicles and clean toilets and basins.

Now, the location may not be ideal if you are intending to spend most of your time in downtown Manhattan, but where the hostel is located is great for exploring Harlem, Morningside Heighta and the north section of Central Park.

The staff here a very friendly and knowledgeable, which was very handy as I had never been in this part of New York before now. They told me about so great places to eat and drink.

I found Jazz on The Park to be great value for money, it was clean and comfortable and (for me) in a great location in order to explore northern Manhattan.
Give it a go!

P.S I took this trip in March 2006!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mrmfield21
Groningen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

With this hostel, you don't pay much, but you don't get much either.
The location is pretty good, close to the subway and Central Park. Our initial reception was good, and the room looked nice. We were in a double private room, one of the few, and although it wasn't cleaned or had any linnen change in the week that we stayed there, it was quite okay. However, when we came back on the last day someone had been drilling holes in the ceiling (without telling us) and left without cleaning up any of the sawdust, so all our clothes and the bed were covered in it.
The staff varies. Some are very nice and helpful, some are very unhelpful or even rude. Most will speak Spanish amongst each other and do not respond when you say something in English.
The breakfast is very poor, just cold toast, cereal, and watered orange juice on styrofoam plates. There were generally people sleeping on the couches in the (sweltering hot and humid) breakfast basement, as they are constantly overbooked. The free wifi isn't free at all, and we didn't use it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lotte O
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My friend and I booked this hostel in February for our visit in September. On arrival all seemed well, however there was a problem with my credit card. The transaction declined but somehow deducted the money out of my account, thus meaning we had to pay with another method. I suppose not the fault of the hostel but still quite frustrating.

The room was below the standards I expected but still served us well. It consisted of bunk beds, a mirror, a table lamp, chair, and lockers. It had a good air conditioning unit in it. The mattress was plastic yet comfortable. The bed sheets didn't fit the bed and I was constantly awoken by my skin sticking to the plastic mattress.

The toilets were satisfactory. The shower curtain just about fit, the hand dryer was broken all week.

When we booked the hostel we were offered "free wifi" and "free breakfast". However, this was not true. The hostel no longer offer free wifi, you have to pay for it. I paid $15.00 for a weeks access, which is not bad, but a bit disappointing, the free breakfast was unavailable for us for some reason most of the week, with no explanation and no alternative.

Overall it served a purpose but I wouldn't go back there. It's quite a walk to the nearest Metro station. Good diners in local area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ABC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hostel is in a good place, close to subway and not too far from the city, being not more than 100m from Central Park. Unfortunately, there's no kitchen (due to New York regulations, we guess), but the bar they have was never staffed. Breakfast was o.k., nothing special. The rooms are clean, but poorly equipped and the beds weren't too well either. The bathrooms were o.k. Price is fairly high, but probably normal for NYC. The staff was nice.

Room Tip: If you can aviod it, try to not get a room in the upper stories. There's no elevator and having...