“can get much better in New York”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Jazz on the Park

Jazz on the Park
Bath
“can get much better in New York”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

stayed here one night before beginning a tour, they did not pass on any of the info my tour guide had left for when each person joining the tour arrived there. Squeaky beds, super noisy AC, doors slamming all night. slept about 4 hours for the one hour I was there and they didn't start serving breakfast until 9am so if you want to get up and out early you miss out on it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Apart from being really close to central park and a subway station i didnt like this overpriced hostel! Our private room was just an uncomfortable squeaky double bed in a room with nothing in it! Bland! The cleaners use the strongest smelling bleach when cleaning bathrooms and mopping which ruined a few pieces of my clothing from not being rinsed properly! Breakfast was one other highlight except we had to use plastic forks to eat cereal and spread butter and jam on toast! We were lucky New York City has so much to offer, we didnt have to spend much time at the hostel

2 Thank Nikkibaddeley

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Blumenau, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

The only good thing about this hostel is it's location (which it's not the best, but then it could be a lot worse). They were not organised, as they didn't know the type of room we made reservations for. We had trouble falling asleep because the doors on the hallways kept slamming through the night. Our room smelled funky, and it looked dirty. There were no places to hang or leave clean clothes or towels in the bathroom while we took our showers, so our only option was to leave it on the floor (wet and dirty). The breakfast is free, but it's not good and there aren't a lot of places to sit. The website says wi-fi is free, but it's not! We had to pay for it. We had two lockers in our room, but they were broken and if I didn't have a padlock I wouldn't be able to lock my stuff in there. Keycards usually worked only on the second or third try. The staff wasn't prepared, there were times when I needed them and there was absolutely no one at the reception, and when I went looking for them they were all watching a game on tv in the kitchen. I would not recommend this place, if you're after a hostel in New York this is not the one -- keep looking!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Blumenau, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at this hostel for 4 days. There is no atmosphere and they nickel and dime you. We asked for towels and had to leave our i.ds with the receptionist until we returned them. This is inconvenient as you do not want to have your passaport left there overnight. They could demand them at check out for example. We stayed at another hostel in San Francisco afterwards which was way better prepared and more fun. We didn´t think the bathrooms were clean enough, there´s no place to hang your towel or clothes. They do not make sure the guests obey their regulations. Throughout the night we heard slamming doors and on a number of occasions we caught girls in the men´s bathroom. We aren´t staying at this hostel again when we visit New York again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We were staying at HI hostel which is awesome they were booked out our last night so unfortunately we had to stay at jazz on the park. They said they only had 2 beds left and charged us $66 each put us in a 4 bed dorm. The room wasn't full, beds were uncomfortable, Showers were cold with no place to hang clothes,no atmosphere even movie night was cancelled, staff had no idea about anything, and no kitchen. Would have been cheaper to stay in a hotel. Wouldn't recommend staying here

Surfers Paradise, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

We took a room in this hostel as the last one we were in was booked out. When we arrived the girls on reception were not helpful at all we asked questions about surrounding area and they knew nothing. After checking in I found it.... The worlds most uncomfortable bed ripped torn and springs hanging out. I then went to have a shower as a guy I'm not to fussy but the bathrooms were a joke cold water one door in and 5 showers all joined. Long story short I would not stay here or recommend anyone stay here it's over priced and offers nothing in return check out hosteling international around the corner

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here for just one night--as the next couple nights I was staying at a hotel in Midtown with my friends. The rate was right, and it seemed to have the features for which I was looking in a hostel. I appreciated the location in terms of being very walkable to the Subway and close to Central Park (not that I would ever walk in Central Park as a young woman all by myself at night--which is when I was there).

I was starving when I arrived and my Urban Spoon app didn't really come up with anything that interested me. I really just wanted something like a Subway tuna sandwich but there seemed to be no low-key chain restaurants like that in a walkable distance. The whole area was pretty unexciting. I ended up going to a B-rated deli hoping the cheese steak I got was not going to give me a food-borne illness (it did not).

I was in a double mixed room, so ended up sharing with a very nice guy. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep well because there were people outside on the basement patio talking and smoking all night and even though the window was closed, it sounded like they were right next door, and the smoke smell seeped into the room. Also, whenever my bunk buddy below me tossed and turned, the bed creaked and kept me up.

The thing that scares me most about staying in hostels is the bathroom. The showers just made me cringe. Unfortunately, I really do like showering daily, so I had to bite the bullet. Luckily for me, I did not have to wash my hair, so i was able to be in and out pretty quickly. Only 1 shower was working but luckily I didn't have to wait. There were hooks right outside where I hung my clothes but there was nowhere to put my things, including my room key. I had to put them right next to the shower curtain on the floor and whenever I needed to bend to get something, I had to be careful not to hit the wall. It was rather unpleasant. No complaints about water temp.

Also, I got there in the evening, and the bathroom sink was obviously dirty with toothpaste and whatever else (they are trough sinks with multiple faucets and drains). When I was in the bathroom the next morning, it was still dirty. I felt like I never had the opportunity to use a clean bathroom.

I didn't enjoy the breakfast at all--there was white toast and cereal with only whole milk. I was glad I brought my own oatmeal to-go thing.

The one cool thing was that it was a Thursday night and every Thursday and Sunday they do a free comedy show in the basement. Basically, local comedians come and try out their new jokes on the crowd! It was entertaining! Also met some cool people and learned about other countries--always the beauty of being in a hostel. I'm gonna stick to hotels though.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo