As a cheap place (about $50 per person per night) for a couple of friends to stay for a few nights, then the Harlem YMCA fitted our needs excellently.
In every category it did what it was meant to do:
- Not in the very very centre of New York, but about 90 seconds walk to the subway. And the fast trains (the 2 and 3, they skip most of the stops) come regularly to take you swiftly into the very centre of the city in around 15 minutes.
- Clean room, beds and towels. Their rooms are all private singles or twins (bunk beds). Plenty of storage space (although a small room), plus air conditioning and a large fridge (handy for your water bottles!). Not the brightly painted room shown in some of the photos knocking around, but equally clean.
- Clean communal facilities, and generally no wait to use them (although one of the three showers did have some small flies, and the doors required a bit of shove).
- A 'kitchen' space with a microwave, circular table, and spectacular tenth floor view into the city. We spent both evenings here chatting with other guests for several hours.
- Yes the slamming doors and traffic can be heard, but didn't prevent me from sleeping well. It seems the door kept out noise from the corridor; when in our room we were never aware of human voices or music.
- While anyone could theoretically get in the escalator up to the guest floors (we were on the tenth floor) then the 24/7 security desk meant we felt safe. Be aware that if you arrive after a certain point (8pm weekends, 11pm weekdays) then security will keep your passport / photo ID overnight, before you to check-in fully in the morning (check in desk opens at 8am).
- There's no food provided. We didn't actually use the complimentary breakfast voucher (one each, if you stay for multiple nights). There's lots of food in the area - we went to the International House of Pancakes (ihop) both mornings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Get more and pay less, when you stay with us at the YMCA! Enjoy our full-service fitness center which includes swimming pool, steam room and sauna, and cardiovascular and strength training studios. Take advantage of free Wi-Fi and television in the tourist lounge, business center, daily housekeeping services, and 24-hour security. For travelers who are on the go, we are conveniently located near four subway lines (2/3, B/C) which run 24 hours a day. A 10 minute ride will take you to the most scenic and serene sections of Central Park, and 10 minutes more will take you to the heart of Manhattan and hotspots like Times Square, Empire State Building, and Rockefeller Center. Stay in the neighborhood and admire the historic architecture and rich cultural sites on a guided tour through Harlem, get a taste of soul by Top Chef Master, Marcus Samuelsson at Red Rooster, and polish off the night with some smooth jazz on Sugar Hill. We have private single rooms as well as private doubles (bunk beds). Guests share common bathrooms which are conveniently located on each floor. • Free unlimited Wi-Fi (in tourist lounge)• Clean linens & towels provided • No curfew or lockout • Each room is private with own lock and key• Each room has air conditioning & refrigerator• 24 Hour security• Elevator building• Free Tourist Information and Maps. If you would like to inquire about group rates, or have additional questions please contact us!Please Note: All guests must be 13 years of age or older. Valid Photo ID is required to stay at the YMCA. Maximum length of stay is 25 days. Visitors are not permitted on the guest room floors. Check-in after 2pm, Check-out by 11am. Reservations may be cancelled up to 24 hours prior to arrival date without incurring penalty charges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Budget Places, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your The Harlem YMCA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Harlem Ymca Hotel New York City