YMCA would be the place...the hostel is extremely simple but at least they have beds and baths! And 24hours security, I would never recommend for anyone older than 25, can be humiliating.More
- Free Wifi
- Fitness center
YMCA would be the place...the hostel is extremely simple but at least they have beds and baths! And 24hours security, I would never recommend for anyone older than 25, can be humiliating.MoreShow less
Thank you for taking the time to review our site! Please let us know what we could have done differently or better to improve the experience next time. We strive to maintain an environment that is comfortable and appropriate for adults of all ages. We appreciate your honest feedback!
I was looking for some cheap stay in NY for three nights and tried Harlem YMCA. It is truly cheap considering NY prices, reasonably located (1 minute walk to subway, 15 minutes ride to Times sq.), clean and safe (24/7 security) place to stay. Neighbourhoods could seem little gloomy at first sight, but it is nothing to be afraid of. Nearby IHOP restaurant serves tasty breakfasts (mmm the omelets), cheap chinese takeaway is two blocks away (5minutes walk). Rooms looks like small cells, but they are clean (and cleaned every day). Try to avoid rooms faced to main street (135st) - during night there used to be a lot of noise from ambulances!
Useful informations about the hostel:
- Metro stations are five minutes away in each direction:
Station name: 135th street
Directions: Uptown/Bronx or Downtown/Queens/Brooklyn (map.jpg)
- Small Grocery Store: 135th/Adam Clayton Powell Blvd (7th Avenue), small bottle of water: 1$
- Breakfast: IHOP - International House of Pancakes, opposite of the Grocery, small stack of pancakes: 5,49$ - special (morning) offer stack/2.99ea
- Walking to the Central Park: 30 Minutes (normal walk speed)
- our room was on the 10th floor, we had 3 bathrooms (toilet, shower with hot water) on the floor
- our room: tv, bunk bed, closet, fridge, nice view on the skyline of NYC
- if the showers are occupied, you can always try the showers on the 11th floor (seperated rooms for men and women)
- there is a room (lounge with tvs and free WIFI access) in the basement reachable from the lobby
- the staff is very friendly and helpful, rooms are simple but clean
The Harlem Y provides basic accommodation - a room with a bed, dresser, closet - shower and toilet down the hall. There is free wifi and a TV in the lounge downstairs. You can use any of the Y's facilities while there - pool, gym, etc. There are no frills. BUT - the place is absolutely spotless and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The subway is less than half a block away and there are plenty of delis and shops. I was in the area for a job interview and did not want to spend a lot of money for a hotel. I would stay here again.
the room was very average. the tv had no cable, and there was no reception for the telly. there was no hot water for a hot shower! they were also like those `gym showers`, where there is one big room with a couple of showers in it, as opposed to individual showers. but the staff were very friendly, especially the lady at the booth that took the payments and stuff. i would not stay here again though.
We paid $323 for 3 nights stay for a double bed room which is rather pricey considering the location and condition of the rooms and bathrooms. The location is rather far away from downtown new york though the hostel is near a metro station. The conditions of the room is poorly maintained as the broken windows are boarded up by cardboards. But at least the bed was properly made and quite clean. The bathrooms are terrible and there is only one toilet per gender for the entire level. The conditions of the toilets are also poor as the toilet floods and looks very run down.
The service provided at the front desk and security is decent enough. The facilities include swimming pool, gym. But the internet is poor and can only be used in the basement.