“Lovely boutique hotel with free wifi/breakfast”
Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #59 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Lovely boutique hotel with free wifi/breakfast”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel was a lovely surprise, especially considering I thought I was stuck staying here when other hotels closer to my office were booked. I didn't know that I was in for a treat! Not to mention, you really can't beat the price - great value here.

When I arrived, jazz music was playing and I immediately felt a little more relaxed. Check in was friendly and quick with info on the free wifi and morning breakfast at the restaurant next door. (I love free breakfast!) I was given a room on the 7th floor facing 28th Street. The view is not like some other places I've stayed, but I could see a corner of the Chrysler Building and it was nice to be up higher (I think it's only 8 floors). The room was surprisingly spacious with 2 comfy double beds, desk area and a lounge chair with table. The best part of the room was arriving to a box of chocolates and 2 bottles of water, with a note from the hotel to welcome me and let me know that a Sinatra concert was scheduled in Central Park that evening. Love this personal touch! The neighborhood was also a nice change from the other spots I've stayed in midtown. Great restaurants in the area and I enjoyed the awesome sushi place around the corner on 27th. Oh, and I did like the breakfast in the morning - which included bagels, pastries, fruit, cereal, hard boiled eggs, juices and coffee.

Two minor shortcomings: 1) The gym only has 1 treadmill. Another guest arrived the same time I did, clearly looking to use it, but I had just stepped on. Bit awkward for the next 30 minutes. I suppose I could have gone for a run outdoors instead to avoid this situation entirely. 2) The bathroom door in my room didn't seal at the bottom. It's a sliding door that slid left and right, but leaned out at the bottom. So when the door was closed, you could still see into the room through the bottom half of the door. It didn't really matter for me, but could be a privacy issue for other guests. In general, I think they are doing renovations around the building, so that may be something to check on before you get your room.

In any case, I had a nice stay and will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing 28th St.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write about your recent stay at the Park South. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our complimentary continental breakfast is always a nice way to start the day. It’s true that there are some limitations with our existing fitness room but I am happy to report that this is scheduled to change soon. Your observations are correct we are in the process of refurbishing the hotel although all efforts are currently focused on our guest rooms. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon; we welcome your feedback on our progress. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly on your next visit. Thanks again.

Christiaan Aldoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Summerland, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel is in a good location as it is within walking distance to Times Square and steps from the Subway station There is a buffet breakfast with lots of choices to start your busy day. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: The higher floors seem to have less AC sound although this hotel is generally quiet throughout.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Helen564
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great location and a friendly hotel. Staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. As a first time traveller to New York we asked the staff a wide range of question which they were more than happy to answer. We shall return when we have saved up.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul C
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. It’s always nice to know we are delivering on good service and that our complimentary features are well received. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I liked the hotel very much.
I went with my wife and her sister and stayed for about 6 days and we all had a great time and were very confortable in the hotel.
the bad thing was the loud music of the live band, i couldn't sleep good one day and had to ask for another room.
The bathroom is ok and also the rooms. Great service and liked the location

Room Tip: good hotel and not expensive
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and for taking the time to post your review. I do apologize for the noise issues related to our Black Duck Live Jazz. I know the noise levels can sometimes get a bit loud when the main doors are opened. I hope we get the opportunity to host you once again. Please feel free to contact me directly for a complimentary upgrade. Thank you again.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I could not have been happier during my 3 days at the Park South Hotel. I reserved this hotel after researching hotels in the Murray Hill section of NYC for my buiness trip and came across several reviews on tripadvisor. I found a very compettive price at the Park South which included a wonderful elaborate breakfast buffet to get your day started. The room size was average as compared to other NYC hotels i have stayed in. All of the staff I encountered during my stay were very genuine and clearly enjoyed working there.What I really enjoyed most is that you never felt like you were staying in a hotel, it really was more like you were returing to a private residence or upscale apartment house.The location is ideal as you are in the center of it all, yet feel like you are away from the hustle and bustle of N.Y. I will defintely return and cannot wait to see the new roof top lounge that is apparently likely to be completed for my future Spetmeber viist. Overll love this unqiue hotel!

Room Tip: Great live Jazz in the Black Duck Restaurant, with really good food
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write this review. We sincerely appreciate the kind remarks and observations. It is always a pleasure to hear we delivered on a positive experience both in the Park South and in the Black Duck. Please feel free to reach out to me directly on your next visit if I can be of any assistance. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Scotland
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am staying here for 8 nights until 6 June. I chose a Superior King room as I now check room dimensions before booking in Manhattan, I wanted a larger room and it was; on the 8th floor. However, noise from builders in room opposite was a problem as was noise from workmen in the interior well. Adequately covered in previous posts.

Reviews in May have not been good for this hotel, they were great when I booked a few months ago. The recent posts indicated to me that the General Manager, Christiaan Aldoy, attempted to make good when situations were brought to the attention of his Team, he seemed to care. I decided to e-mail him direct and I'm happy to say that he does care. Not only have we received a complimentary upgrade to a partially refurbished Executive King room, street view (not noisy) on the 6th floor; away from the builders, but we are also to receive a partial refund for the two nights we spent in the previous room.

This room is delightful. They are upgrading the rooms in stages, the bathroom has been done in this one. The slate and glass shower is at least double size with a rainfall shower head and the usual lack of room for toiletries has been taken care of with large areas each side of the modern sink and in the shower. The lighting is bright and there is a huge mirror. The fittings and carpet in the room have not been replaced yet, but they are an improvement on the previous room as is the new wall mounted tv and quiet air conditioning.

This is over and above what I expected. The builders are a transient phase and Mr Aldoy clearly recognises this and wants to get through it, rectify problems when he can and encourage guests to return. I wish I could return later in the year as they are installing a roof top bar.

Having spoken with Mr Aldoy this morning (31/5) he clearly has a passion for this hotel. That and the cheerful friendly staff are a credit to him.

I am guilty of not speaking up when things go right. For example, on a 3 week trip last year we had a wonderful stay in the Langham in Boston; fabulous hotel and we had a Falls View room in the Hilton at Niagara Falls, fantastic room that actually looked like it did in the photos! Did I review them - no, only the hotels that displeased me. It is easy to overlook the good, but my, how motivated I am when things go wrong! I hope I have now rectified this failing!

Finally, thank you Krystal for the fruit and cheese platter and wine left in our new room, it was much appreciated.

For would be visitors, please feel free to e-mail me, we are off to Chicago after this and I am happy to answer any queries you may have.

Room Tip: E- mail before booking; the builders move around!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kirsty-kid
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you so much for this kind and thoughtful review. I’m very happy to actually have the opportunity to address a matter of concern as it occurs and not after the fact as is often the case. We do empower our team to resolve issues that arise directly but at times it is more a matter of what is available to resolve the existing issue. I appreciate that you reached out to me directly and that you were so gracious under the circumstances. I see your next stop is Chicago, if you have not been there before, you will definitely enjoy it. It’s a wonderful city with great music and beautiful sites although I’m still partial to NYC. I hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay and have a great trip.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days in May 2013. I prepaid for the hotel for a executive double Queen Bed Room. I called 3 times before my arrival to request the highest floor possible and the most quiet room away from street noise. When we arrived we were given a room on the 2nd floor above the lobby and bar/restaurant where a live band was playing loud music. I requested another room and the manager told me there were no other rooms available for that night but we probably could change rooms the 2nd night. On the 2nd night I was given another room on the 4th floor, I was told the night before the new room would be on the 7th floor but since arriving guests had reserved the room it was not available, how can it not be available to me but is available to arriving guests. New 4th floor room had lots of street noise, clogged sink. Do not pre pay full fee you have no leverage when given a bad room..

Room Tip: Do NOT pre pay for the room you have no leverage. Request the highest possible floor, hotel has 8 f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JackSimon37
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent experience. I sincerely apologize that this matter was not resolved more effective and for the inconvenience we caused you. It may have been difficult to offer you a better accommodation when you arrived for the room category you selected due to occupancy. I suspect that this may have also been the issue with granting you a higher floor. I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly in the hopes of rectifying this matter more effectively. I do not wish to leave you with this negative impression of our services or of the hotel. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you.