“Perfect no-frills in a great location”
Review of Park South Hotel

Ranked #59 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Charming, small hotel in the middle of the big city. Bowl of Hersey minis on desk at check-in. :)

Room was bigger than expected and quiet (I was on top floor). The decor was a little shabby b/c they are working on renovations. The bathroom renovations seems to be complete already- the shower was great!

Free breakfast in the morning had many fresh, healthy options. Surprisingly well-done after I was expecting a soggy danish at best.

Elevators were slow, but part of that could be b/c of the renovations.

They promoted turn-down service, but I didn't see any evidence of it when I returned from dinner.

Overall I was really happy with my stay. There was just the right level of service for what I needed. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: As always in NYC, ask for a room on a higher floor so that it's quieter. Of course, be prepared...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank skohn
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Park South Hotel. I’m very pleased you enjoyed your stay. Your observations are correct; we are in the process of a full refurbishment of our guest rooms which is being conducted in stages. It appears you were in one of our executive rooms with the slate bathroom tiles and rainfall showerhead. The refurbishment is not limited to just our guest rooms but also all of our public areas later in the year. I hope you like the many changes planned for the Park South and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist with your next visit. Thanks again.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at Park South for a week. Our room on level 6 was at the back and faced in towards the building next door. The room was really small (but we'd been warned accom in NY was pokey) and the only cons I have with the room was the air-con or heating machine which was right outside our window was really loud and humming non-stop and the room was always quite warm, so we had to sleep with the window open, and of course, put up with the humming. Didn't really bother us as we were beat from our day adventures. Also the elevators are super slow, so take the stairs if you can! The bathroom was lovely and clean and housekeeping was excellent. Every night, two house keepers would knock and offer more towels and chocolates, it was really lovely.
Park South do the BEST breakfasts you could want while on holidays between 7am and 10am you can dig into amazing bagels, cold meats, eggs, toast, muffins, cereal, juice, coffee, tea, fruit, yoghurt, croissants etc etc... We are missing those breakfasts!
The location of Park South is also great, right next to the green train and two blocks to Madison Square to catch the yellow train. Also, on the corner of Lexington and 29th, you can find a self-serve coin laundry... perfect for those who need to do a bit of washing during your trip!
Park South Staff were really friendly and helpful. There is also a restaurant called Black Duck who do Happy Hour... check it out!
I'd recommend staying at Park South, we'll be staying there again next year!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you so much for the great feedback, I’m very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the Park South and found both our services and breakfast to your liking. My apologies however with the exterior noise in the courtyard, the HVAC units can be rather noisy when the windows are open. I am very happy to hear that you plan on visiting with us again next year. The ongoing guest room refurbishments will be completed by then so you should see a significant improvement overall. I hope you will reach out to me directly so I can assist with a more quite accommodation on your next trip. Thanks again and have a wonderful summer.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Description on their website tells a tale of a lovely old New York building however this is far from the truth nothing in the hotel appears 'restored'! Our room absolutely stank of stale perfume smelly feet and staleness and the stench from the pillows was revolting I had to wrap it with two towels to bear to sleep on it! The entire hotel smells odd as soon as you walk in the door. Our room was tiny furniture was appalling very worn and covered in chips as were the walls. Room was very stuffy with a small window which was filthy not at all as described on their website and for $800 for 3 nights thought it was blind robbery. Chose to eat at the nearby McDonald's father than utilise the included breakfast as the entire hotel felt unclean! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone as it ruined my trip to New York

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kiwislovetoholiday

Thank you for making time to post your comments. I must say I’m very disappointed you felt this way about your recent stay. I do apologize for any inconvenience, this not indicative of our room conditions. I will note that we are in the process of a full guest room refurbishment and we are still making our way to every guest room. I am curious whether you brought any of your concerns to our team’s attention during your stay. It is always our policy to address and rectify any areas of concern when they arise. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly in the hopes of addressing this matter accordingly. Please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Parksouth is a hidden gem of NYC. Love staying there because like their sister property in South beach, we get a personal, friendly and geniune service from the staff. Always smiling, always willing to go an extra mile to help.. Staff definitely stands out. And their renovated rooms!!! Love them! i feel like i am in my own bedroom. not intimidating, comfy.. love it, love it.
Location is just amazing. close to every where, near subway and all the great restaurants and entertainment... Keep up the good work..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Park South. It’s always great to hear from our frequent guests and even nicer when they frequent our sister properties. You must have been in one of our model rooms which are real departure from our current design. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with all of the upgrades we have planned. I hope you will share with us your thoughts as we continue with the changes. I will be certain to share your wonderful comments with the team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

First time advisors have so let me down. Thought this hotel was so below par. The room, a superior, at nearly 300 dollars a night didn't even have a wardrobe! Evidently you had to pay 50 dollars more for an executive room to warrant somewhere to hang your clothes. And there was a patch of dried blood on the carpet, something that the hotel was extremely contrite about and gave us a small rebate. Obviously their cleaning staff isn't as vigilant as they said they were. The room was a wedged shape, small, dismal, resembling a Hopper pitting from the 1950s. The tiny window, at the pointed end of the room was useless and just looked out into an air shaft. We had to keep all the lights on, and it was still dark
The bathroom however was really good, nice fluffy towels as was the breakfast room/ bar, but the bedroom so let it down. And the staff didn't care we were unhappy, and said we couldn't be moved to another room unless we paid 50 dollars more. Having come from the fabulous Kimberly hotel after one of our party left New York, this was such a let down, and not much cheeper. Will never stay there again and really can not understand why others recommended it. Must have had much better rooms.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank debbieg5
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to express your valuable concerns. I do apologize if the reserved guest room was not to your satisfaction. It is always our intent to accommodate guest requests and to work with you to ensure you are comfortable. I am certain there was likely an issue with limited availability at the time of your request for another room. I would genuinely welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly in an effort to make amends and change your opinion of us. Please feel free to contact me directly so we can speak further. Thanks again for your input, I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a good atmosphere. Friendly and helpful staff, not always the norm in NYC.

Room was small, but I have stayed in much smaller. Fridge, safe, good shower, reasonable size TV. Clean and air-conditioned.

Decent bar/restaurant although I can recommend Snafu 28 the bar over the road for a cheap domestic beer.

Handy location, seems to be in the middle of the Indian quarter, load of Indian restaurants within a block. Subway station is only yards away.

Would certainly recommend and be happy to return

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Warwickshire_John_64

Thank you so much, we always appreciate the feedback and wonderful comments. I would say that the right atmosphere is always a delicate balance to achieve and I’m very pleased to hear that we did. Not sure if you are a jazz fan but I would highly recommend a weekend night in the Black Duck over Snafu. First beer flight is on us. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can be of any assistance on your next trip.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here from 15th April until 22nd April.On arrival our room was not ready so it seemed like ages to wait and were rather disappointed that we were not offered any refreshments whilst waiting.However it all got better.Room a Superior Queen,very clean and comfortable,but alas little hanging space for clothes-we stayed a week,so more cupboard space would have been good,but we managed.Housekeeping really excellent,towels changed twice a day if wanted and chocolates arrived on our piloows every night! All staff we came into contact with were polite and helpful.Breakfast was a bonus every morning which started at 7until 10am,so the chance of a lie in...lots of choice for breakfast albeit cold and you were never rushed so could sit and plan your day.
A Gym was in the basement,but alas i never made it in.
The Bar opened about 4pm and often a Happy Hour was included
As for the location of the Hotel-excellent-near to Subway,or most places within walking distance.
Most definately i would recommend staying here and hopefully i will make it back another time.

Room Tip: Our room number was 514 which looked out onto buildings but so so quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbara A

Thank you for the thorough and kind feedback. My apologies to you for the wait upon arrival, I hope we did not inconvenience you greatly. I am excited to report that we are in the process of a property refurbishment and all of the items you touched on are expected to be remedied in the months ahead. It’s this type of useful feedback that helps us address areas in our service and our accommodations. I hope you will see many of these changes and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any service.