“Glad we stayed at a discounted rate”
Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #48 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Glad we stayed at a discounted rate”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently spent four nights at Park South. Despite my average rating, overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• There was a substantial amount of rennovations underway, but the noise did not disturb us.
• The rates were a special January bargain at only $129/night, and the location was nicely situated for us to walk north to neighbourhoods in midtown or south to Greenwich, Soho, etc.
• The breakfast, which was included in the cost, was more than we expected and we really appreciated the nice fireplace are where we ate every morning.
• The front desk staff were always polite and helpful.
• The bathroom was nicely appointed, clean and bright.

My only real criticism is that the bedroom area was really not pleasant. The carpets looked old and filthy (we made a point of keeping our socks on all the time except when we were in bed). The armchair was not only too bulky for the small room, but was placed right at the entrance to the room, making the room look even smaller than it was, even to the point of making it difficult to get into the room. I took the liberty of rearranging the room just a little by lifting the armchair over the bed to put it under the window...it made a huge difference. Management might want to pay attention to these small things that can make such a huge impact on customer enjoyment of the room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Deanno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Cambs
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here with a friend in a 2 bed double room. The room was small but that was due to the fact we had 2 double beds and very clean. The beds were super comfy as were the pillows and because we were at the back and not facing the street, extremely quiet for a large city. As two women travellers we found the closet space more than adequate however, a few more hangers would have been welcome. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous and breakfast was more than adequate. The free wifi throughout the hotel was a bonus as was the ability to use the guest computers and printer in the business centre.

My only complaint was that there was not enough light in the bedroom and it was quite difficult to see to use the dressing table mirror as the only available light source close enough to use was an inadequate desk lamp - no good for putting makeup on. A minor critique was the room was always hot even though we turned the heating off (even though the outdoor temperature were below 0), however we overcame this by opening the window.

The location of this hotel is what it's really all about. Situated just off 5th Avenue it was around a 5 minute walk to the Empire State Building, Macys and the Flatiron Building. It's a little longer to the main shopping areas around 5th Avenue, Central Park and Times Square. We walked everywhere (except going downtown to Battery Park, Wall Street and the financial district as these were quite a distance), day and night and felt completely safe.

We ate in the on site Black Duck restaurant which was ok (there are a few strange combinations on the menu).

Overall I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to NYC.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor and not facing the street
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrsHolidayJunkie
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Park South for a great price. It is in a good location and you get a free continental breakfast. Thank goodness there was only two of us because the room was very small but the bed was comfortable. Our room was on the first floor next to the kitchen so it was extremely loud, especially at night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We needed a hotel in the Murry Hill section of New York City just for one night and stumbled upon the Park South Hotel and I am glad we did. It is the best value in the entire city. The hotel is not in a pretty section of the city but it is a very close walk to all of midtown and I felt safe. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the free breakfast although we did not eat there, was a nice European style buffet. I would definitely stay at the Park South Hotel again if I planned on enjoying the NYC area and not spending a lot of time in my room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wales
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just come back from staying at this hotel for the weekend. It is a very nice hotel which includes breakfast and wi fi. A very good benefit to the hotel. All attractions are within walking distance if you did not want to use the subway or taxi.
Room was clean and comfortable. Excellent service from all the hotel staff including maintenance. We will definitely stay here again when we go back to New York!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at the Park South while attending the NY Motorcycle Show. The registration was quick and the personnel was very helpful and client oriented. The room was clean and comfortable. The nights were quiet and restful The included breakfasts were also quite good. And the price for all of this was very reasonable, by New York standards. The only weakness was the fact that the room had no fridge and ice had to be obtained from the bar. However, I will go back there anytime I visit New York.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RaynaldLortie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I am currently staying at the Park South Hotel. It is a very nice and clean hotel. The 6 train is just a few feet away and about a 15 min walk to Union Square. I reserved this hotel on Travelzoo. It comes with a delicious breakfast every morning and free WiFi (couldn't ask for more from a hotel in NYC). My room is small but you expect that from a hotel in NYC. The bed is super comfortable, great heating and a nice bathroom. My only complaint would be that I didn't have a refrigerator in my room (that's why I gave it 4 stars). The staff is very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again when I return to New York.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family