“Clean quietly located hotel but missing something.....”
Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #58 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Myself and my daughter have just returned from a 5 night trip to NYC for Christmas. We stayed at the Park South after a little investigation into reasonably priced and located small hotels in the city, which we eventually booked as a package with flights through BA. The location, although a little further out than some, is good and quiter than the more central midtown hotels; if you're prepared to walk or happy to get the subway then it's fine. If not then don't bother with this location. Our room was a standard queen and I didn't have any really high expectations, however tea/coffee making facilities in the room I did expect, particularly when any refreshments in the hotel were purely reliant upon the Black Duck Restaurant! The room was small with a lousy outlook but as with most visitors to NYC you are not there to sit in your room so we were happy with that. The bathroom was small but enough for myself and my daughter. The room and the bathroom were very clean with clean towels provided each day with a top up offered in the evening by house keeping along with a chocolate; nice little touch. We met 3 different doormen who all were very nice, polite and helpful. The desk staff in the main were pleasant and helpful but a couple of them seemed as though it was a little too much trouble to speak to you and had a very disinterested air. The breakfast provided in the Black Duck was good, and although the same everyday it was enough to kick start the day, particularly in a city where food is on every corner making one choice quite difficult! We ate in the restaurant on Christmas Eve as we were particularly tired from the previous days travelling and the days sight seeing so not up for doing much that evening. What I can say is that the food was OK, the menu is limited and I just felt that they were trying too hard to be something they are not. I also got the impression that as we were hotel visitors, we weren't terribly important and they were busy flitting round making sure everything was set-up for the evening for walk-in visitors. Our service that evening was provided by the barman; nice guy, typical friendly/approachable barman type. The other staff in the restaurant were non-descript with an air of over importance that I did not warm to. All in all I was disappointed as the reviews I read before eating here were good but the food was OK, nothing to write home about. I've eaten much better in a number of local UK Home Counties gastro style pubs and country wine bars. One of my biggest complaints is that the hotel does not have a nice comfortable central lounge just to grab a coffee and unwind a little after a day sight seeing and shopping before getting ready to go out again in the evening. Instead it just has a lobby with two sofas and the reception desk with refreshments only available after 5pm from the Black Duck or a local Starbucks. Also, if you stay on the 6th floor, watch out for the strong smell of curry in the mornings in the corridors to the lifts. This can only come from the Copper Chimney next door! Would not stay here again but each to their own I'm sure many a perfectly happy with their stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sarah B
There are newer reviews for Park South Hotel

Reviewed December 28, 2011

I've always wanted to see NYC at Christmas, so I talked a girlfriend into going this December. The primary concern was making sure that we selected a hotel in a safe area and this one was perfect. Right off of heavily traveled Park Avenue, we were 1/2 block away from a main uptown/downtown subway. Walking to/from the hotel late at night was not an issue. There was a nice deli around the corner in addition to a Duane Reade so we could pick up snacks, water and other necessities.

The hotel could probably use a little refresh, but for the rate it was more than adequate. We had the first room down the hall from the lobby and it got too loud, so ask for a room further back in the hotel if you're on the first floor. The free breakfast buffet was a definite plus and it stayed well stocked until mid-morning. The exercise room is small, but has the basic equipment (try to run in Central Park anyway - much better). My "bonus find" was a Coke machine on the lower level that sold bottled coke for $1.50.

The front desk staff was very helpful. They stored our bags before and after we checked out. They also made the arrangements for a car service to return us to the airport. The cost of a livery was only ~$10 more than the taxi we took into the city. After hailing a cab on Park Avenue that said he only had permission to travel up and down Park, I wanted to make sure we didn't have trouble getting a taxi out of the city. Worked out perfectly.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend. Would also stay here again.

Room Tip: If staying on the first floor, get a room further away from the lobby. We were the first room on th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank GlendaCrowder
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights, whilst the room was very small it didn't affect us as we were out all day and most of the night so it was ok. The rooms are very clean and well maintained, the breakfast is good and enough to get your day started. The front desk are very nice and quite helpful. The restaurant options around the hotel are limited or maybe it was our preferences? There is a subway stop at the end of the street very handy for transferring updown and downtown although sometimes you may have to take 2 or 3 trains to get back, not a big deal seeing as they come every 5 to 10 minutes

Room Tip: ask for a room upgrade it would be alot easier to store clothing etc
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Stayed for three nights with two female friends. Room was a little disappointing. Sold as a superior triple but I couldn't see what made it a superior room. The carpet was rather old and had a large stain in the doorway and the decor was rather dated. The room had two double beds but was only set up for two adults - not enough hand towels for three people, only two tumblers in the bathroom, not enough toiletries for three people.

Some nice touches though such as clock radio, fridge, bathrobe (but only one!) so maybe these were extras that made it a superior room?

However, the room and bathroom were clean as were the bedding and towels. The shower in the bathroom was very powerful and always plenty of hot water.

The room was at the back of the hotel so was extremely quiet. There was no road noise whatsoever and I never heard any noise from other guests at all - no doors slamming, no talking, no plumbing noises. The only noise was that of the air con units outside but that wasn't overly loud. I couldn't believe that we could be in mid-town Manhattan and not hear anything!

The location is good for reaching lower Manhattan and areas such as Empire State Building and Macy's. A bit of a trek to the more popular areas such as around Central Park and Broadway but walkable. There was a subway station just a few hundred yards from the hotel though I never used it.

The hotel amenities are good - gym, restaurant, business centre, luggage store room. The staf were extremely friendly and helpful - particularly the doorman who organised a return car to the airport for us. We booked it for 3pm but when we returned at 2.30pm the car was already there waiting with our luggage loaded. It was a plush car but only cost $10 more than the yellow cab we took from JFK to the hotel.

Breakfast was just continental but there was a toaster. Good selection of breads/muffins/bagels and various danish pastries, fresh fruit, cold meats and cheeses, boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, juice, tea and coffee. Everything was replenished regularly. As breakfast was included in the rate, I think what was provided was excellent and of a good quality.

This was my third trip to NY and I have always stayed further uptown (45th St, etc). Personally if I were to go again I would prefer to stay more uptown again though I would never be able to find such a quiet hotel. If I needed to stay in this area again, I would definitely be happy to stay at this hotel but would try and obtain a more up-to-date room.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Team_DC
Reviewed November 18, 2011

For New York, this was not bad. The room was decently sized - for New York. The bathroom was extremely small (you had to move to close the door). It actually reminded me of some of the small 3-star hotels I've stayed at in France or Italy, including the Euro-style buffet breakfast served in the Black Duck, the hotel's adjacent restaurant - that comes with the price of the room. Very centrally located on Park & 28th.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank truthbetold_10
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Location is excellent. Staff is friendly enough. The bar is comfy and has decent food. BUT....the rooms need serious updating - they need better lighting...and the beds and sheets were terribly dingy and dirty. Yuck.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Room was small, but clean. Great location. The vast majority of the staff was friendly and helpful. This was marred, unfortunately, by two very rude front desk employees who were seemingly in a sour mood during my whole stay. The doormen were super friendly and helpful. An excellent Indian Deli a block away. The Black Duck restaurant serves good food, but the portions are very small and overpriced. Great bartenders. Due to the demeanor of the two front desk employees, I won't be going back when I return next year.

Room Tip: Pick one away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo