“Must get the Fondue!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I wanted a romantic night in NYC and Artisinal was recommended. We made a reservation online the night before for 8pm. It was busy, but not too loud that would couldn't talk even with people on either side of us. The restaurant is beautiful with high ceilings. Our waiter was excellent with enough attention to make us not feel neglected, but not over so much to bug us. We each had a few glasses of wine, but they also took good care of keeping my water glass filled (which is a personal must as I tend to drink alot of water with my meals!) We got a small cheese fondue that comes with bread and also ordered apples, pears, and kielbasa. For 2 people, the small was the perfect amount. The cheese was delicious, but did get hot the longer it sat and the less amount in there. We split the chicken under a brick and it was plenty of food for us. I struggled finishing, but wanted to since it was so good! It was a special meal to celebrate the last night in my 20's. Would recommend for a specail night out!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had dinner here on a Thursday night with two other couples based on the recommendation of one of them who had eaten here years ago and really enjoyed it.

Not this time. Extremely noisy, indifferent staff, expensive wine list. And the food that's another story. My friend and I ordered mussels and, although the portion was large, mussels were miniscule. Not only that, more than half didn't open. Complained to the waiter who didn't apologize but later sent over the busboy with more mussels which we really didn't want...not that they asked us. We had waited too long and requested dessert instead which they reluctantly agreed to do. The rest of the party said their meals were not so great either.

As an aside, not sure why Trip Advisor has the restaurant address on 2nd Avenue, but the correct address is 2 Park Avenue.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Enjoyed the ambiance.. expected New York prices but $58 for Dover Sole which was very chewy, not something I would expect with fish. I am sorry that I didn't have one of the other fish dishes although my dining companion had the salmon and the sauce was very good. The vegetables were excellent, but with all the restaurants in New York, I doubt that I would return.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This has a very authentic bistro atmosphere. Service was excellent, though not especially friendly, and the cheese counter was an interesting addition.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The only restaurant we returned to after our trip three years ago! Came here for our 15th anniversary and were seated IN the Cave de Fromage for the ocassion.

A lactose-intolerant nightmare, but terrific bistro fare. Great service, great atmosphere.

Cam with our kids, but this is okay - bistro is a little more casual than some French restaurants and it was just fine.