“eh......”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Well, I've had dinner in this restaurant quite a few times over the last five or so years, and it has the makings of an appealing place to have dinner. And, to be fair, I've enjoyed each occasion when we'd eaten here. It was always with at least one other couple, but was usually more than that. But, on the last few dinners I...and each of the other people that I'd had dinner with on this occasion....noticed that this restaurant has become less and less appealing. I was really still not quite over what had been at my last visit there, the management's apparent experiment with offering "half-glasses" of wine at a premium price...Really????....Yes, really. I remember asking the waiter if Satan owned the restaurant when I saw that. Well, on my latest visit there, last week, that seems to be a thing of the past. However, the (full) glass of wine that the waiter brought me was hardly that...even in this day and age, the glass was absolutely less than a glass of wine. One of the people at the table remarked that his martini was also noticeably "skimpy," though I can't vouch for that since I don't drink martinis. My pre-dinner bourbon was ample. Back to the wine, though: I was just going to let it go (and consider never going back) but my wife was outraged at the shortage of wine in the glass and complained to our waiter. I can say that she did it very discretely, but the waiter obviously put off by this and didn't seem to even want to deal with the issue. But, he must have done something because a gentleman did come to the table and upon seeing the wine glass, did bring the bottle and fill the glass to a normal level.

As to the food...I had the bouillabaisse which was a "special" that evening. Now, there's a common wisdom that a proper bouillabaisse can not be made outside of France. I've had it in France a few times and enjoyed it a lot...and seeing it as a "special" made me fly in the face of that "common wisdom." I don't know if the "common wisdom" is true, or not...but the miniscule...ridiculously miniscule..and bland, tasteless portion that was brought to me, goes a good distance in proving that it is, indeed, true. And, if it isn't true, this restaurant failed in making their "special" of bouillabaisse a dish worth eating and certainly, in my estimation, shouldn't have even offered it.

The other three people at the table said that their food was "all right," with no one saying it was excellent or even "very good." This was on a weekday evening that we dined there and there's always a possibility that it was just an "off night." But, we all discussed it, and concluded that while the restaurant does have a nice ambiance and the food's, again, "all right," there's an unmistakeable sense there, that every single thing they bring out to the table was first thought about down to the penny...that feeling was actually palpable.

Another thing that we discussed is that there are other french bistros that are a lot more enjoyable that offer excellent food in Manhattan and that's we're well chose from next time.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

The Gouda fondue was delicious - have apples to dip in it!

Steak tartare was amazing and the grilled octopus - best of my life - culinary delight.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We choose Artisinal for it's proximity to the Empire State Building and the draw of the massive selection of cheese and wine. The menu for these items were definitely complete with a wide variety. Besides the cheese and wine, the menu is a little limited. My friends and I ended up doing a fondue and it was so good! After eating the whole thing, we were all glad that we made that decision.

The service was good, although not outstanding. It seemed to take a little longer than it should have, but it wasn't too bad. Because we came from the Empire State Building (for a sunset view), we were dressed in jeans. We felt a little under-dressed and out of place, although the website said nothing about a dress code. The staff didn't do anything per say to make us feel that that way, it was just the vibe we got from the other patrons, atmosphere and the service.The waitstaff was in black and white and the service etiquette was 'higher end'. The price was also on the higher end. We knew that upon going there, but I'm not sure it was quite a good value. If you go, just plan for $50+ per person if your going to do wine/drinks, too. If I went back, I'd be sure to dress a little nicer and leave the jeans at home.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I can't believe how poor the service was. the waiter forgot our drink order. I asked to change a cheese on a salad and I was told flat out no, even after explaining a lactose allergy. My steak came out over cooked and the manager argued with me about what their MR is. The manager said three people looked at it and agreed that it was their MR. I have never been so angry at a reataurant, ever. Needless to say, I got to watch my sister eat. Unbelievable.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I've never experienced a restaurant which exploited the cheese concept before so I was intrigued by this concept. Although the restaurant did everything right I wasn't overly impressed with it. We tried the cheese platters & they were quite yummy... I had the risotto which was okay. The steak tartar was also good. Overall, everything was good but I wished they would had pushed the concept even further.