My family and I are spending a few days in New York for holiday. I was able to get a promotion through Travelzoo. I picked this hotel because of its location and some reviews on its unique design and personal services. In reality, I found the only positive thing about this hotel is its location. When we checked in, I made a specific request that the room would be non-connecting (i.e. no access to next door). The front desk agent even confirmed that the room she assigned would be such. When we arrived in the room, the first thing I saw was the connecting door! I called the front desk right away and the agent was even puzzled herself and said that she made a mistake. To change to a different room, we'd have to wait for availability. So I decided to just keep our room.
I came up with a list of pros and cons about this hotel:
* Great location - central to all within walking distance
* Modern & unique design in lobby & room
* Petite Deluxe Room: the smallest room I've ever seen in a 4+ star hotel. It's like living in a large college dorm! No entrance area to leave outdoor shoes (all our winter boots and luggage are placed in the tiny walkway under the wall-mount TV); only one tiny stool and a chair available to sit on
* Very poor sound proofing: Every time someone closes the door, a big slamming sound could be heard and shake could be felt. Footsteps (or children running in hallway) from floor above and people's conversation in the hallway could be heard clearly. I've tried to avoid connecting rooms for fear of noise but in this case, noise comes from everywhere!
* Terrible WIFI quality: Though complimentary, it's around 2 Mbps for download and 1 Mbps for upload most of the time.
* Small washroom: No tub, only shower in a deluxe (or rather standard) room
* Front desk friendly and responds well to small requests like extra bath towels, etc. but not efficient in resolving issues
* Room windows face office building. Curtains must be closed at all time to avoid stares.
Overall, I would recommend this place to travelers who value location only, not quality of sleep/comfort or room amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked into the heart of Manhattan at 345 West 35th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues, TRYP New York City Times Square South is so central, so packed with fun, and so "New York"… You will truly feel like you Own the City. This is the first TRYP hotel we open in the U.S., part of a family of exciting properties in the world’s most attractive hotspots including Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Frankfurt and Paris. We rebuilt and redesigned this hotel in a retro building site smack dab in the middle of major metro business centers and most of New York City's top attractions. You'll be poised to take advantage of primo shopping and dining, Times Square, the Empire State Building and the ever-exciting Madison Square Garden.Besides our spacious TRYP Rooms, TRYP New York City Times Square South features signature rooms that have become defining elements of the TRYP brand. Our Fitness rooms come with a fitness machine and complimentary workout gear. Family rooms are the ideal choice for families with small children: bunk beds for kids and an oversized bed for parents. And our Media rooms are stacked with 55" TVs, surround sound, popcorn makers, Nintendo Wii, iPod "dock," 3D glasses, Blu Ray player and a multiple media connectivity panel. We’re sure that you’ll be in awe of the grand open environment of our Plaza Central, where you can relax, meet up with colleagues or make new friends. But our attention to detail doesn’t stop there. We also keep your heart pumping with a 24x7 fitness center and we’ll help you host the event of the year with 2,100 sq. ft. of meeting space that accommodates up to 100 people. Welcome to the first Tryp Hotel in the Americas, the Tryp Times Square South Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your TRYP New York City Times Square South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tryp Times Square South Hotel New York City