“What a "TRYP"!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“What a "TRYP"!”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My family and I are spending a few days in New York for holiday. I was able to get a promotion through Travelzoo. I picked this hotel because of its location and some reviews on its unique design and personal services. In reality, I found the only positive thing about this hotel is its location. When we checked in, I made a specific request that the room would be non-connecting (i.e. no access to next door). The front desk agent even confirmed that the room she assigned would be such. When we arrived in the room, the first thing I saw was the connecting door! I called the front desk right away and the agent was even puzzled herself and said that she made a mistake. To change to a different room, we'd have to wait for availability. So I decided to just keep our room.

I came up with a list of pros and cons about this hotel:
Pros:
* Great location - central to all within walking distance
* Modern & unique design in lobby & room

Cons:
* Petite Deluxe Room: the smallest room I've ever seen in a 4+ star hotel. It's like living in a large college dorm! No entrance area to leave outdoor shoes (all our winter boots and luggage are placed in the tiny walkway under the wall-mount TV); only one tiny stool and a chair available to sit on
* Very poor sound proofing: Every time someone closes the door, a big slamming sound could be heard and shake could be felt. Footsteps (or children running in hallway) from floor above and people's conversation in the hallway could be heard clearly. I've tried to avoid connecting rooms for fear of noise but in this case, noise comes from everywhere!
* Terrible WIFI quality: Though complimentary, it's around 2 Mbps for download and 1 Mbps for upload most of the time.
* Small washroom: No tub, only shower in a deluxe (or rather standard) room
* Front desk friendly and responds well to small requests like extra bath towels, etc. but not efficient in resolving issues
* Room windows face office building. Curtains must be closed at all time to avoid stares.

Overall, I would recommend this place to travelers who value location only, not quality of sleep/comfort or room amenities.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Earthcruiser
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the TRYP Time Square South Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 212-600-2440, or BElie@wyndham.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back at the Wyndham Times Square South.

Ben Elie – Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Verneuil Sur Seine, France
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Good place to stay with good amenities and proximity to subway.
Nice personnel like Zahir who speak french and give good advices

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Tryp Hotels

Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I especially appreciate the kind review of so many members of our team. It is always great to hear when the Zahir does a wonderful job. I look forward to sharing your comments with him. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!
South Carolina
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had a wonderful experience staying here. It is so close to most everything: Times Square, Penn station, Empire State building, Javits Center. Felt very safe walking around the area (being women we were wary). Police station next door but never heard a siren. Employees at desk were very nice and the Concierge was the most helpful in planning our daily adventures. Just a note, in our room on the tenth floor there was a wonderful bathroom with just a shower. So those of you wanting a tub, check when making reservations. Also, The rooms are small but you are in NYC and there are no drawers to put your clothes only a wardrobe with a shelves and two cabinets one contains a safe where you can put your computer. All in all a nice place and helpful employees. Did have some door slamming early one morning by housekeeping, maybe they can work on that.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher room for less noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We really appreciate your very nice review and comments about our hotel! It sounds like you had a very nice time, and got to enjoy all that our hotel and New York City had to offer. However, we apologize for inconvenience you experience with the slamming doors. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My stay at this hotel was very disappointing. My wife and I arrived to our initial room only to be saddened by how small the room was, the desk was literally right next to the bed, as if they had no where else to place it. After this realization, we attempted to take a nap only to be disturbed by maids slamming doors every 5 minutes, no exaggeration. My wife went to look in the hallway to see a bunch of them huddling around talking about useless information. We moved to another room and was still disappointed with how often people slammed doors. Aside from that, I wanted to microwave food I had the night before so I called the front desk the night before to inquire about whether there is a microwave, the gentleman told me that there is one available. So next morning before our flight, I went down to the front desk to get my food microwaved, the lady at the desk told me because of "liability" concerns, I could not microwave my food, so due to heavy traffic towards the airport, I ended up starving by the time I reached my flight. Absolutely awful experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shawn2342
It is disappointing to hear that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. All of us here at TRYP Times Square South Hotel take your comments very seriously, and we are eager to correct any failures on our part.

We also understand that our hotel is very unique in regards to the design and the size of our rooms and that the structure of the rooms may not be for everyone.
I would love an opportunity to discuss your stay and experiences with you directly, and am confident that I can restore your faith in us. I can be contacted at 646-200-8853, or belie@wyndham.com. I look forward hearing back from you!

Ben Elie