“Brillant for Families”

TRYP New York City Times Square South
Ranked #174 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are a family of five (2 adults and 3 kids - 13, 11, 7). Our room was great except for the air conditioning. It is very noisy and doesn't cool the room enough as the air conditioner is next to the main bed and the air hits the bed. The room is very modern as well as the bathroom. The room had 2 TV's but are about 3 metres apart from each other. The beds are very comfy and the kids didn't have a problem with the bunk beds. We stayed 7 nights and had a leaking shower for the whole stay after reporting the problem.

Yes, we would stay here again for the position.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 28DD72
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

We apologize for inconvenience you experience during your stay. We hope this incident does not tarnish our reputation and that you give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future. Thank you again for staying with us, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to TRYP Times Square South.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and i stayed here for 1 night only as we were passing through as part of our christmas trip. This hotel is closely located to the Penn Street Station so was ideal for us as we travelled from Philly on the Greyhound bus. The subway is very close about 2 minutes walk and takes you downtown in 10 minutes which was perfect for us. Very efficient and friendly staff. The rooms were smallish but very well designed. The bed was very comfortable and we had a great sleep! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the TRYP Times Square South. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your kind comments, and we really look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, would definitely recommend and stay there again.

Pros:
-Great price (booked through agoda)
-Very clean
-Decent size room
-Location (not right in the middle of Times Square but about a 10 min walk, which is great if you don't want the craziness around you 24/7)
- Penn Station is a 2 min walk from hotel, can take the subway anywhere
-Can leave your luggage at hotel free of charge if you arrive before check in time or leave after check out time

Cons:
-Price of drinks at hotel bar
-The street that the hotel is on
seems a little bit unpleasant at first, but you get used to it. There is also a police station right across.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Thank you for choosing the TRYP Times Square South. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate your very nice review and comments about our hotel. Take care, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is such a great hotel!! We got an amazing deal off hotwire.com. The location was perfect, very close to Times Square and many Subway trains. Our room was very clean and spacious. We had no problems with noise, I actually expected more noise. New York City is noisy in general. I would suggest staying somewhere outside the city or earplugs if you are really sensitive to noise. The hotel does not come w/ breakfast but there are plenty of cheap places near...Best Bagels (very good) right down the road. I have never stayed in a NYC hotel that included breakfast so I didn’t expect breakfast to be included. This is one of the best hotel experiences that I have ever had in NYC!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Very nice! Thank you so much for your really excellent comments and great review of our hotel! It makes us really proud that you were able to have such wonderful stay, and that our staff provided you with rock star service. We hope to see you again soon at the TRYP Times Square South Hotel!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

It's interesting another recent reviewer noted they did not get the room they booked. We experienced a similar problem. We're a family of five, and we certainly didn't get the room we expected (in fact I felt pretty misled). Don't get me wrong - there were many good features to enjoy. The staff were reasonably friendly, the breakfast we ate one day was decent, the location was close to the subway and overall the rooms were modern and clean. But I feel my gripe was a pretty major one, and I can't help docking points despite the positives.

I actually did a lot of research when choosing the hotel and room, and booked the room way back in September, several months before we travelled. I read reviews. I based my room selection on a pretty extensive conversation with the reservations hotline, too. They described a room with a large living area, bunks for two children (we also travelled with a newborn), a bed for my husband and myself, and two bathrooms. This, they said, was their family room. Great - so far, so good.

When you actually book a room on Tryp's website, you'll notice each selection and each type of family room is accompanied by photos of the room and a description. The specific selection I made was 'Family room with 1 King Bed, Bunk Beds and Living Room'. The room description included '2 HDTVs' and the photo very clearly showed a huge room with a separate living area, main bed area, two bunk beds, two TVs etc. Closer to our stay (about a month before) I confirmed these features and requested a room on a high floor if possible, since I'd read on trip advisor the rooms on lower floors can be quite noisy due to the close proximity to the police station. I was told this was fine, and also let them know we'd be arriving late at night.

As it turned out, we arrived at about 4am due to flight delays. When we learned of the delay (well in advance - I called immediately, before 3pm NY time) I let them know our new ETA and we were told they'd have our room keys ready for us. When we went to actually check in, we were all very tired, so it was a little frustrating to be welcomed by being told our room wasn't ready and we'd been charged a no show fee. It then took over half an hour to find our room. The room we were given was a 'family room', but it was absolutely tiny - much smaller than indicated in the photos and by the reservations line. It was on the ground floor, had no couch or sitting area, had only one bathroom, one TV, and the room was extremely cramped. It absolutely wasn't the room I expected. Honestly, had I known we'd end up stuck in such a cramped room that was NOTHING like what was described or shown in the photos accompanying the room selection on Tryp's website, I'd have booked elsewhere. To make matters worse, the heating unit was extremely noisy, the police station was - as others warned - also very noisy, and the bunk beds were absolutely disgraceful. The top bunk had a mattress much too small for the bed, making a foot wide gap big enough for my son to fall into at night. We had to put the mattress on the floor. The detachable bunk ladder also toppled easily, as it was fixed only by two small metal hooks. Our two kids accidentally knocked it over several times. Frankly, it's an accident waiting to happen.

I let the staff know we were unhappy right away, but because the hotel was fully booked, we had to wait till the next day to speak to a manager and it was two nights before they could move us to another room - a premium suite, which (though better) still wasn't the room Tryp advertised (there were no bunks, which meant we had to use the sofa as a bed for one of our kids instead of as a sitting area. Doable but pretty irritating considering the reason I chose the hotel was to have a separate sitting area and some room to spread out - anyone travelling with two young kids and a baby will appreciate this desire. I could have got this at another hotel).

Anyhow - the point is, when I book a hotel room, I expect to get the room shown in the pictures or, at the very least, for my room to have ALL of the features shown and described. We had to put up with a crappy room for two days, had to waste our time repacking all our stuff and having it moved around, and so on. I know we travelled at a busy time, but I really don't see this is acceptable considering how far in advance we arranged our stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank JCroc
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the TRYP Time Square South Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 212-600-2440, or Kimiller@wyndham.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back at the Wyndham Times Square South.

Kiana Miller – Assistant Guest Services Manager

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is okay, but here I want to report a serious issue.

When I left the hotel I asked them whether it is possible to arrange a taxi for me to Newark airport, they kindly agreed and told me that would be a $90 flat rate to Newark. Although I found its surprisingly high coz I usually paid $40max include tax and tips, i agreed the deal.

everything seemed alright only when I got into the car. It is not a taxi, it is a private car ran by a private unknown personnel, it is a black taxi. When we asked for a receipt after we paid, the person said he didn't have any receipt. I couldn't believe it! How can a worldwide hotel chain hired a taxi that couldn't produce any receipts for their customer??

I am travelling on company's expense, no receipt means I have to bear all the cost on my own. Besides, if the 'taxi'does not have receipt, apparently he didn't pay tax.

That is really a shock to me. I am going to file a complain to tax authority and hope the hotel will do some reflection.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Mintchelsea

Kiana Miller – Assistant Guest Services Manager

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights at the Tryp in December 2013 and I must say we were really positively surprised by the location, the rooms and the service. The location is good for both business and tourism, close to the subway and sufficient taxi traffic so that you get around quite a bit (and my wife enjoyed the closeness to Macy's). Also this hotel is directly next to a police precinct, so security was never an issue (real or perceived). The rooms were surprisingly spacious, modern and well thought through, making the best of the available space. The noise level was surprisingly low. Service and breakfast were left nothing too desire and also the free of charge (and very fast WIFI) added to the impression.
All in all certainly the place to stay for our next visit to NYC.

Room Tip: The higher the better