“Not without issues...but a good place to stay”

TRYP New York City Times Square South
Ranked #169 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Not without issues...but a good place to stay”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

On a recent weekend trip to NYC, my friends and I stayed at the Tryp by Wyndham. The room was amazing as it was made for a family with 2 queen beds, a pull out couch, a kitchenette and TWO SEPARATE BATHROOMS!!! That was amazing.

UNFORTUNATELY, there were some issues...all of which were resolved by the staff.

FIrst of all, we arrived in NYC around lunch time and requested early check-in. Our luggage was stored and we were assured we would get first priority to have our room readied. We called at 1:30pm and were told it was still not ready but that it would be complete shortly. We arrived back at the hotel at 4 pm, but the room was still not ready for us. Within 20 minutes, everybody was settled in but it still was disconcerting to feel lied to earlier in the afternoon.

Upon entering the room, there were two more issues. The room had a foul odor when we arrived and my friends found there to be hair on the pillowcases of one of the "freshly made' beds. Housekeeping was called and the manager came up as well. She saw the hair and witnessed the smell. She apologized and agreed it would be remedied. We left for the evening only to return and still find both issues unaddressed. The night manager said she was sorry and sent housekeeping up immediately. The linens were changed but shockingly, the pillowcases were not causing my friends to become rather irate. This was remedied but should never have happened in the first place. As for the smell, upon further inspection by both us and the hotel engineering staff, mouse traps were in plentiful supply under the sink. It was remedied and the smell was removed, but it was still a bit off-setting.

The staff went out of their way to rectify the situation by providing us with free breakfast buffets ($19/per person) for both mornings of our stay...and a bottle of wine was in our room when we arrived back after our second night out in the city.

The hotel was conveniently located and the staff members were excellent, especially one of the managers, Channell, on eof the porters, Zahir and one on of the engineer staff, Nadeen.

Despite the issues we had, I would still choose to stay at the Tryp the next time I stay in NYC.

1 Thank RegularJoe237
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We really appreciate your very nice review and comments about our hotel! However, we apologize for all the issues that occurred during your stay! It's great to hear that our staff gave you great service and was always there to help. Thank you again for staying with us, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to TRYP Times Square South.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nokomis Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The room was large and comfortable the bedding was clean and relaxing...Our bathroom and shower had all the amenties we coulld hope for Very pleasant experience ...Breakfast buffet in the morning was excellent. The staff was consciencious and caring. We arrived early and were allowed early check in. They helped us with parking which was great being in the city and having a rental car. Employees,,ESPECIALLY ZAHIR,,couldnt do enough to help us with luggage, and finding places to go in the city. Very VERY nice experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I especially appreciate the kind review of so many members of our team. It is always wonderful to hear when Zahir does a wonderful job. I look forward to sharing your comments with them as they will be ecstatic. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!
Findlay, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We enjoyed our recent stay in NYC. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was beautifully decorated, large and comfortable for a group of 5. We loved the spacious shower, fabulous water pressure, and the large fluffy robes. Within walking distance to Time Square, or an affordable cab ride, and close to subways too. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 9th floor, so no street noise, and could not hear noise from other rooms. View...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the TRYP Times Square South. I am glad to hear that we could meet your needs with our facilities and location. Indeed our location is perfect for guests wishing to venture out and enjoy the city via Mass Transit. Thank you again for choosing our property, we look forward to accommodating you in the near future
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

It's the second time we have stayed at this Tryp. It's so well placed in midtown- Close to times square, all the great shopping and all subway rail (we also did a side train trip to DC which left from Penn Station- two blocks away). The hotel is clean and trendy. The staff are always there to help. The wifi is free and easy to connect. The rooms are modern and very clean. The gym is small but adequate for quick work outs. Absolutely would recommend this place to anyone.
Zahir the doorman/porter was very friendly and courteous.

Room Tip: Our room the second time was at the front of the building - a liitle road noise with sirens etc - bu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Tryp recently with some girlfriends for a weekend in the city and we could not have been more impressed with our experience from start to finish. Our room was spacious and beautifully furnished, with modern amenities and plenty of closet space for all 3 of us girls! The enormous windows let in plenty of natural light, but when we closed the curtains and blinds it was completely dark (a great bonus when we all wanted to sleep in after a night on the town)! We had a room with 2 beds and a pull-out couch and even the couch was wonderfully comfortable! I had the couch and slept like a baby both nights we were there (as did my counterparts in their queen-sized beds). There were 2 large bathrooms and the showers were seriously incredible -- I did not want to get out -- my shower felt that good! We really loved having our own Keurig in the room to make coffee before heading downstairs to enjoy the fantastic continental breakfast. There was an abundance of decadent goodies from croissants and pastries to classic breakfast fare and the most adorable yogurt and fruit parfaits you have ever seen. In the evenings, we indulged in a few of the bar's yummy champagne cocktails and enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel before hitting the town. The location could not be better -- it is within walking distance of Times Square South and we were able to hit the H&M flagship, Macy's, Tiffany and see Trump Tower and Central Park (to name a few places) -- all without needing to hail a cab once! The staff was extremely professional and friendly, from the front desk, to the bar, to the waitstaff, and ESPECIALLY ZAHIR! We were expecting a Town Car to take us back to the airport on Sunday but Zahir surprised us with an incredibly luxurious stretch limousine! It was a perfect end to the perfect girls weekend -- we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Don't shy away from a room with a pull-out couch if you're in a group of more than 2 -- the...
3 Thank Elsa C
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of TRYP Times Square South. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you find our property to be "beyond compare". I have shared your kind remarks with the staff in recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the TRYP Times Square South in the very near future.
New Philadelphia, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Traveled to New York for a long ladies weekend out. Based on the reviews and the hotel amenities this hotel was chosen and a great pick it was. Compared to other hotels we compared to it was a great value as well. Prior to our trip we called the hotel to get information on transportation from the airport and were provided an excellent contact (Sandra) who was at the airport when we arrived and who we felt very comfortable with on the ride into the city. Her vehicle was clean,neat and she was very helpful and friendly. She also checked during our stay to make sure we had scheduled transportation back to the airport. Once arriving at the hotel we were met by Channel who had arranged the transportation after our call and who was very accommodating throughout our entire 4 night stay. All of the desk staff was helpful and friendly but we saw Channel as a gem. We had an issue with our in room safe which they could not immediately resolve but it was resolved within the same day and they locked our valuables at the desk until this was resolved. Our premium room had two large comfortable beds, a sofabed and 2 bath rooms which is perfect for a ladies getaway or a family. The rooms were clean and well cared for.I will agree with a previous reviewer that we dd have to wait longer than we should have for luggage to be brought up (it came right up after a phone call to the desk). Would recommend this hotel to anyone wholeheartedly. We did not use the bar or any food service so we cannot comment on that however, we did receive coupons to use on appetizers if we ordered drinks. .

4 Thank Deb Z
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I unexpectedly had time to check into the hotel before an afternoon business meeting so I thought I'd give it a try. When I arrived, I asked if my room was ready and was told that I had been upgraded to a family room but that unfortunately it was not ready. Since I had arrived before the check-in time and because I had been upgraded, I didn't mind them telling me that. They said they could check me into the room now and hold my bag until I returned later that evening. When I returned, I went to the registration desk and was provided my key and was told they would send up my luggage. I got to my room and looked around. It wasn't large, though it was clean. I called downstairs and asked if it was a family room and was told that it was not. I told the desk staff that I had been informed when I checked in earlier that afternoon that I had been upgraded to a family room. She did not know what to say or do, at first putting me on hold, and then telling me her manager wasn't available at the moment, but would call me back. I didn't want to mess up the room if I was going to be moved to a new room so I laid down on the bed and waited. About an hour later, I realized that my luggage had not been brought up, so I called downstairs to inquire. I was told it would be brought up immediately. A few moments later, there was a knock at the door, and I was handed my luggage and given an apology for the delay. At that point, I figured the manager wasn't going to call me back so i unpacked. I had originally planned to go down to the bar and maybe have a beer if they had good ones on tap. But was so tired by that point, I just went to sleep. In the morning, I had breakfast at the hotel, which was ok. Glad I skipped the bar the night before, because they didn't have an IPA on draft. The hotel was not worth what I paid for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adam F
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the TRYP Time Square South Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 212-600-2440, or Kimiller@wyndham.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back at the Wyndham Times Square South.

Kiana Miller – Assistant Guest Services Manager