We went to NYC Jan. 1 - 5 and stayed at the TRYP Wyndham hotel. We booked the Samsung Experience Room. Upon first impression, my kids (boy 15 and girl 12) loved the room. I was looking for a room big enough for the 4 of us (queen & bunk beds), and thought they would like the big 3D tv in the room.
I knew it would be a little crowded suitcase wise because I could tell from the pics and description it was a narrow room with no storage. There ended up being so many issues, I would not go back.
1. Upon arrival, there was hair in the bath tub. I called the person at the front desk and told them. I asked that it be cleaned while we were out to dinner. He asked me if I thought it might be the maid's hair?? Ummm...I don't care whose hair it is! He apologized and said yes it would be cleaned while we were gone. Well, actually first he asked if they could come clean it now because the maid was about to get off duty. When I told him we were still in the room and wanted to be gone while the maid was cleaning, he agreed to have someone (don't know if it was the maid) clean it after we left.
2. We came back and you could tell the bathroom had been re-cleaned - but the hair was still in the tub! It was long black hair wrapped around the drain plug. I had already wiped off the strands on the side of the tub myself.
3. Our room was freezing! We turned the heat up as much as we could. It didn't help. They said it was because the ceilings were high. I don't care "why" it's cold. It's cold! Really cold! They figured out later that air was coming through a window so they blocked it with a rolled up towel. A couple of days later they gave us a space heater which helped a lot.
4. The hotel has been open 8 months, so I think there a lot of things they are going to discover along the way need to be fixed. We fortunately did not have any accidents in the room, but that room is an accident waiting to happen. The bunk beds and sofa are up on a weird step. It juts out in some random jagged cut out pattern. Someone is going to run into it in the middle of the night and get hurt - if they haven't already. The ladder to the bunk beds is extremely uncomfortable to climb and if you are on the top bunk, be careful not to hit your head on the ceiling when you sit up because the bed is raised up on the elevated floor. It just seems cheap and like they rushed to get the hotel open. Things seem thrown together and not well planned.
5. If you are used to any service, go somewhere else. This is like a travel hotel/motel "get it yourself" kind of hotel. Breakfast is buffet, get your own coffee, make your own toast,...Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not what I expected. I thought it was a restaurant.
6. It's not really in Times Square. It's off a side street quite a walk from Times Square. We were fine with that, but thought I should mention.
On a positive note, I thought the price was ok for NYC, but I would definitely pay more for somewhere else in the future. They wanted to offer us "free breakfast" as compensation. It was part of our rate plan! After much arguing over a couple of days with the manager, they did comp a night to make up for the issues. I will not return to this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked into the heart of Manhattan at 345 West 35th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues, TRYP New York City Times Square South is so central, so packed with fun, and so "New York"… You will truly feel like you Own the City. This is the first TRYP hotel we open in the U.S., part of a family of exciting properties in the world’s most attractive hotspots including Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Frankfurt and Paris. We rebuilt and redesigned this hotel in a retro building site smack dab in the middle of major metro business centers and most of New York City's top attractions. You'll be poised to take advantage of primo shopping and dining, Times Square, the Empire State Building and the ever-exciting Madison Square Garden.Besides our spacious TRYP Rooms, TRYP New York City Times Square South features signature rooms that have become defining elements of the TRYP brand. Our Fitness rooms come with a fitness machine and complimentary workout gear. Family rooms are the ideal choice for families with small children: bunk beds for kids and an oversized bed for parents. And our Media rooms are stacked with 55" TVs, surround sound, popcorn makers, Nintendo Wii, iPod "dock," 3D glasses, Blu Ray player and a multiple media connectivity panel. We’re sure that you’ll be in awe of the grand open environment of our Plaza Central, where you can relax, meet up with colleagues or make new friends. But our attention to detail doesn’t stop there. We also keep your heart pumping with a 24x7 fitness center and we’ll help you host the event of the year with 2,100 sq. ft. of meeting space that accommodates up to 100 people. Welcome to the first Tryp Hotel in the Americas, the Tryp Times Square South Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your TRYP New York City Times Square South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tryp Times Square South Hotel New York City