“Nyce stay at the Tryp”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Four Corners, Florida
“Nyce stay at the Tryp”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a new hotel and that usually means everything is in good shape and very clean. This was exactly my experience at the Tryp.

The hotel is not in Times Square South, rather its in Garment District West. But that's not much of a problem as you are near the subway stop and within walking distance of most of the tourist attractions.

The lobby was a bit small and chaotic. Check-in was efficient and friendly. There were plenty of elevators which means no long wait as is the case with some other boutique hotels. My room was about as large as any I've experienced in NY and that is saying something. I liked the fact there was a Pergo type floor rather than carpet for sanitary reasons. The bathroom was large and attractively designed.

Free wifi is a plus as most hotels in NY charge about $15 a day for this.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DamienHarveston
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We really appreciate your very nice review and comments about our hotel! It sounds like you had a very nice time, and got to enjoy all that our hotel and New York City had to offer! Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to taking care of you during your next stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have booked this hotel in June for possible NYC trip in September but things had changed so I did cancel the booking 10 days later and confirmation said no fees on the cancelation. Still they have charged me for one night stay without contacting me via telephone nor e-mail. Not impressed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I do apologize that our policy was not made clear to you. As with most hotels, we do have a non cancellation policy fee that is charged as one night stay. If i can advise for future reservations that need to be cancelled, that you contact our reservations department.
Mass, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in a premium room recently.

Location/Noise
The location met our needs - the ACE trains are on the same block as the hotel and it is a very easy walk to Penn Station (even with 2 kids and luggage). The amtrak tracks are on the close (8th Ave) side of Penn Station helping keep the walk down. I was a little worried about the police station next door for noise purposes. However, even though we were on a low floor (2) and overlooked 35th just at the police station I didn't find it loud at all. Sirens were very rare and didn't wake me up. (I am a moderate sleeper). We couldn't hear people in other rooms, either and I am pretty sure the hotel was quite full. I am not entirely sure what others experienced to complain about noise. For being in the heart of the city I thought the noise was quite low.

Staff
Check-in and all my dealings with staff from housekeeping, to front desk were professional and friendly. We didn't not use the concierge, so cannot comment on that.

Room
I never thought I would say this in NYC, but the room might have had more space than was necessary! The "living room" felt a bit spartan and bare with a lot of empty floor space. We normally stay at Marriott Residence Inn’s standard 1 bedrooms. This Tryp room was bigger than any of those I have been in. Plus this one had 2 bathrooms as well. It was actually bigger than the website's picture implied.

I do wish the room had a microwave and toaster to go with the mini-fridge in the bar area. This would be have been really nice traveling with kids.

Overall
Everything I encountered on property was clean, new and functioning.

The only reason I withhold 5 stars is the room just didn't have the fully polished decorating that I would expect from a 5 star hotel. Also, it had a bar area with sink and fridge but no other “kitchen” things. I do understand it was not advertised as a kitchen, but the overall feel felt like it was missing something. And the added functionality for guests vs. price seems like something they should consider.

I would definitely recommend it and certainly would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L_M_in_Mass
Most excellent - your experience is exactly what we strive for here at the TRYP Times Square South Hotel! We are very proud of our beautiful hotel, and we are happy to know that it shows. Thank you for staying with us and allowing us to take care of you and we look forward to being able to do it again for your next stay!
Genk, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Perfect! What a great and beautiful hotel! Very well located! Super nice and clean rooms! Many thanks to the housekeeping team! A heavenly bed sleep in after visiting the city! And the breakfast at the hotel was delicious! Lot of things to choose from and freshly baked! I can't wait to go back one day. Thanks everyone at the Tryp for making our stay in the hotel and in NYC unforgetable. If only all hotels were like this one...

Room Tip: We stayed in room 510! Very quiet!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wow! Thank you so much for your glowing review! All of us here at TRYP Times Square South Hotel have a passion for delivering amazing service, so your comments really make our day! It sounds like you had a perfect hotel experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more stays in the future. Thanks again, and take care!
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I got a free upgrade to a bigger room, in on of the highest floors. The view was amazing (top of the Empire S.B.), taking in account that the hotel lies in a side road. The noise from the street was pretty loud, maybe also because 2 windows didn't close properly and needed maintenance. The staff was very friendly and helpful towards my questions, the booking and charging procedure very precise. The price per night is affordable (the hotel is 1 mile from Penn Station!!!).

Room Tip: Rooms not located at the 35th road may be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Hi, I stayed at Tryp Hotel for one week and I really enjoyed my stay!! The personal was so friendly and helped me in each possible way! The biggest and most special Thanks to the cleaning lady of room 1208, Lauradita was her name I think, unfortunately I lost the paper I had her name written on, but she was amazing!!! When I left the hotel my bags broke and she called her friend Eva who brought a lot of other bags and they helped me putting my stuff from my old bag into the new ones and they were more than friendly, I really enjoyed meeting them and I was very thankful, because: What are you doing when you are about to leave and suddenly your bag is broken? They saved me! And there were not only very friendly and funny and helpful but also great cleaning ladies who did their job very well!
Special thanks also to Danny(from the Knicks) who became a good friend in these couple of days and let me feel at home!!
I recommed this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 452Cherry

We are very happy that our excellent staff was able to provide such great service during your stay! It also sounds like you took full advantage of our prime location and had a lovely time in New York City. We hope that you will come back and visit us again at the beautiful TRYP Times Square South Hotel!
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

very nice hotel located just of 8th.
subway down the street and penn station 1 block away.
very friendly personnel and helpful.
Room was big (esp for ny standards) with big bed, enough space to get in and a desk, big enough for 2 people to move around freely.
comfortable bathroom.

Did not try the bar/restaurant

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the TRYP Times Square South. I am glad to hear that we could meet your needs with our facilities and location. Indeed our location is perfect for guests wishing to venture out and enjoy the city via Mass Transit. Thank you again for choosing our property, we look forward to accommodating you in the near future.