“Great staff but structural noise issues”

TRYP New York City Times Square South
Ranked #168 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Great staff but structural noise issues”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Tryp is new, stylish, trendy and visually appealing. The staff is polite and definitely works very hard to provide excellent customer service. Unfortunately – and in spite of all that, this hotel has serious structural noise problems due to hardwood flooring, thin walls, and doors that slam shut. In my room, I also noticed a weird, mournful, howling noise that envelopes the room from time to time. What’s up with that? Wind? Perhaps it’s the spirits of former hotel guests who have died from lack of a sound restful sleep?

On the first night, I could hear each and every riveting detail of my neighbor’s midnight phone call to a woman who had apparently, and quite wisely, rebuffed his earlier advances. On the second night of my stay – at 1:00AM, my floor was invaded by a group of what sounded like noisy high school or college students who spent a good half hour crisscrossing between their rooms, talking loudly, slamming doors, etc. I actually don’t begrudge their enthusiasm at visiting NYC. (At their age, I behaved the same way.) But, I don’t want to hear every detail and every sound courtesy of the shoddy construction of the hotel. After about 30 minutes of this raucous merriment, I called the front desk. To his credit, the manager immediately came up to our floor and laid down the law to the unruly guests. Things quieted down for the rest of the night.

It’s 10:21PM of night #3 as I write this review. The neighbors are restless and the genuinely responsive manager is again talking with them. Tomorrow morning, I intend to leave bright and early. Given the price that I paid ($165 per night through Travelzoo), this NYC-based hotel is a clean, stylish (albeit really, really noisy) option for one or two nights. After that... Well, let’s just say that, in 9 hours and 39 minutes, I’ll be checking out and then rapidly walking away and towards a quieter place.

Room Tip: Try to get on the top floor. That may or may not help with the noise issue.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank KevinMJM
Marianett G, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the TRYP Times Square South. I sincerely apologize for the structural noise that you experienced during your stay. Your comments have been shared with our management team. Indeed our location is perfect for guests wishing to enjoy convenient metro travel, and we do pride ourselves on providing a safe, secure environment for all of our guests and staff. We are delighted that you were pleased with our value and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Overall: Great stay, good value for the room size and location.

Rooms: My room was large, especially considering New York standards. We had four people in a queen double room, and there was more than enough space for all of us and our luggage. The rooms were very clean and non-carpeted. The bathroom was small, but bright. I loved the look of the hotel - modern and a little trendy - but not over the top.

Service: Great service. I came in on a redeye at 6am, and they were able to check me into my room early.

Convenience: TRYP hotel really wins on this point. Its close to the subway, and only 2 blocks from Penn station. If you are coming or going via Amtrak, its a very close walk.

1 Thank camsam330
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the TRYP Times Square South. I am glad to hear that we could meet your needs with our facilities and location. Indeed our location is perfect for guests wishing to venture out and enjoy the city via Mass Transit. Thank you again for choosing our property, we look forward to accommodating you in the near future.
Kennebunkport, Maine
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed here with two girlfriends on a getaway trip. We had a different hotel nearer Times Square.booked but saw the good value of TRYP and switched. We were still a short walk from Times Square, a block from 34th Street shopping and half block from subways. A quiet street with no pulsing lights outside your window. It gave us great peace of mind to see the midtown police precinct next door.
No problem with check in and bags were brought to the room promptly. Our room was quite spacious with two very comfortable queen beds and plenty of natural light. We all slept very well. The modern decor and the toiletry dispenser reminded me of hotels that I stayed in across Spain last summer. Slate floors and counters, sleek lines and great shower. Very clean. Our bathroom was kept well supplied with towels and when we informed housekeeping that conditioner was out it was promptly filled. The coffee machine was a pod style, but only one regular pod was provided. We requested more and promptly got those too.
There was a separate sitting area with a large table and a chair and plenty of space and hanging hooks for all the luggage and dresses and shoes and jewelry that a girls junket to New York requires. This area quickly filled with shopping bags too. The light in the sink area of the bathroom was good for grooming and plenty of counter space to for all the toiletries. We were very comfortable. We did not read at night so I cannot comment on lighting.

The lobby area is small and the reception, concierge desk, bar, dining seating are all right there but defined by different styles of furnishings. More sleek and professional in the reception area, the bar area had a very stylish double sofa seating area and small tables and stools in front of the window. We enjoyed a complimentary cocktail and some yummy tapas here, and were given scratch off coupons for free tapas that we used another night. The small bar had a nice high energy vibe to it and lots of people were enjoying the ambiance. The dining area consisted of a long central communal table and single tables and booths extending to the rear. The wall of the dining area had very attractive decorative wood panels that slid up to reveal the refrigerated serving areas for the breakfast buffet. The breakfast was either an American buffet with standard eggs, meats and pancakes or a Spanish style buffet each for $14. Both could be had for $16 but just get the Spanish one. This was just like the delicious breakfasts that I had in Spain, crusty bread with olive oil, jamon, other cured meats with pimenton ahumado, a variety of spanish cheese, greek yoghourt with passion fruit or strawberry puree, and and fresh pineapple or melon in their own little bowls. Delicious coffee and small but healthy bran muffins and sweets.

Service was so pleasant and so welcoming, especially cute little Elba, who treated us so well that we chose to return to the hotel for drinks after our long days. We really felt like we were coming home. The concierge whose name I wish I could remember but she has brown hair, cheerfully helped us all print out our boarding passes and the porter stored our bags all day and obligingly to met us at the street when we returned in a taxi in a mad dash to the airport.

I visit New York with my husband yearly and we usually stay in one of the bigger, and much more expensive hotels. I have gotten used to indifferent service, boring breakfasts and long waits for the most part (St. Regis is an exception) and I do hope that the staff at TRYP do not also become jaded and stressed. All three of us would certainly return to TRYP.

Room Tip: We did not take a premium room and were on the 6th floor but due to quietness of street we had no no...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Wow! Thank you so much for your glowing review! All of us here at TRYP Times Square South Hotel have a passion for delivering amazing service, so your comments really make our day! It sounds like you had a perfect hotel experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more stays in the future. Thanks again, and take care!
Pasadena, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We usually like our rooms cold, but with the AC next to our bed it made my nostrils soo dry, I couldnt sleep and my nose was hurting for 3 days.
We checked out the next morning. Its been two weeks and we still havent seen our $50 deposit that we paid for one night stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Sandra L
It is disappointing to hear that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. All of us here at TRYP Times Square South Hotel take your comments very seriously, and we are eager to correct any failures on our part.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the TRYP Time Square South Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
Carlsbad, California, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2012

my 10 year old and I visited New York for the 3rd time within six months from southern California and we loved our stay at this newly opened property. Just blocks away from the subway and Macy's and Madison Square Garden. We enjoyed the spacious size of the room and the feeling of home away from home not to mention top notch personnel who welcome you and are friendly and professional. A great place to stay while visiting New York!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We are pleased that your stay was a comfortable, welcoming one. We strive to be a "home away from home" to all of our guests. Our hotel prides itself on excellent service and I have shared your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. Thank you again we look forward to welcoming you back to TRYP Times Square South.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I booked this hotel based on its location and the fact that it is a smaller property. I was also morbidly curious about it, since it's a brand new hotel in a city teeming with options. Tryp, Wyndam Hotels' boutique product, opened on February 1st and since I visited New York City on business at the end of March, it was a mere days away from its two month birthday. I have to say first off, that I tend to stay away from big-name hotels - with the exception of a few, like the Omni in San Diego - because they all tend to be the same. If you choose to stay at the Tryp and expect the standard Wyndam experience, you will be disappointed. However, if your taste is more geared toward a more customized hotel this is the place for you. In a word, this hotel was crafted for hip, younger, more cosmopolitan travelers. However, I saw plenty of families, business travelers and active older adults here as well.

Tryp Times Square South is Wyndam's U.S. debut, with other properties already in place abroad. Located on West 35th between 8th and 9th, it's two blocks from Penn Station and close to Madison Square Garden. Sure, the fitness room is tiny, but NYC is a walking city, so after a long day out, who wants to spend their time on a treadmill anyhow?

The lobby features floor-to-ceiling windows and lots of natural light, and the Gastro Bar/restaurant is open and attached to the lobby. Offering a hot and cold breakfast menu, guests have a choice of cafe tables, booths or a long communal table at which to sit. Be sure to try the sangria - it really is very good! I really liked the cold breakfast at the Tryp. I don't eat much for breakfast anyhow, but they offered Fage Greek yogurt with berry or mango puree and a variety of fresh chopped fruit, all available in glass jars (very eco-friendly) and a nice selection of breads, pastries and cold cereals. A chalkboard menu displays the day's choices. Note: service was a bit slow while I was there, so leave yourself a bit of time to eat and get your bill. If you don't want to eat at the hotel, try the Tic Toc Diner a block away next to the New Yorker Hotel; it's open 24 hours and provides take-away.

Two things stood out for me, above other hotels where I've stayed: the Tryp provides free "New York is my Tryp" postcards to guests and will mail them for you free of charge. The other feature I've never seen before at a hotel is a temporary app called LobbyFriend. Similar to Facebook, LobbyFriend is designed so that guests can interact with one another and hotel staff as well. A large screen in the lobby displays the "conversation" taking place in real time. Want recommendations for things to do that day? Post a query on LobbyFriend and read suggestions from others. The hotel staff is quick to post comments and responses. The concierge offers tickets, special deals and other ideas throughout the day. Upon check-out, your account is automatically deleted. I really liked this feature and found it fun to dialogue with others. A very creative way to connect using social media, it was just another way the hotel is reaching out to guests on a more personal level.

My room was amazing! Wood floors, two full bathrooms - one with a walk-in shower and rainfall shower heads - a kitchenette with sink, long counter and refrigerator and two flat-screen televisions made me feel like I was living in my very own 352-square foot apartment. There was also plenty of storage: a regular closet, huge bureau, freestanding wardrobe, bench with cubbyholes and shelves in the kitchenette area. I really have only positives to say about this hotel.

I also think the Tryp got it right with the design when it optioned out of a formal business center. Knowing that travelers today are more self-sufficient with laptops and flash drives, the Tryp opted for a long wooden table with a printer and public computers in the lobby area. The wi-fi at the Tryp by the way, is extremely reliable with a strong signal.

I felt very safe here; while my room was private, the lobby always had people and staff around (although it never felt crowded). The hotel is also right next door to a huge police station with officers and patrol cars always present.

I highly recommend the Tryp. While I'm still a bargain shopper at heart, I would stay here again because I felt this hotel offered an excellent value. Considering the Tryp for your next visit to New York City? Do it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Most excellent - your experience is exactly what we strive for here at the TRYP Times Square South Hotel! We are very proud of our beautiful hotel, and we are happy to know that it shows. Thank you for staying with us and allowing us to take care of you and we look forward to being able to do it again for your next stay!
Camden, Delaware, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2012

WE recently spent four days in New York at the Time Square Tryp Hotel. The staff was wonderful and customer service was impeccable. The rooms and facility were clean, the staffing went out of their way to accommodate five women! Now you know, if you can make five women happy, that's a high rating, they are definitely doing something right!!!!. WE had a premium room with two baths, sleeper sofa and two queens.
The Bell Hop Massey, Kianna at the front desk, Elba waitress, Zahir and Stephanie, made our trip a pleasurable one. Forgive me if I forgot someone, they were all great. WE would definitely go back to this hotel. Even though they didn't have ice machines on each floor they made sure we had ice in the room.Complimentary cocktails, food! We are looking forward to our next trip already!

1 Thank Carol P
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I especially appreciate the kind review of so many members of our team. It is always wonderful to hear when the staff does a wonderful job. I look forward to sharing your comments with them as they will be ecstatic. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!