Book In Advance
In high demand - travelers recommend booking ahead!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from $98.75
from $135.35
from $97.99
3,349 results
All reviews south park laughed so hard elder cunningham mormon religion foul language trey parker and matt stone avenue q broadway show subject matter singing and dancing great cast great songs front row story line box office great seats new york
Reviewed 3 days ago

Not a spoiler. Just an inside joke. Brilliant guys! Whose idea was it?

Without going into any detail as to the context within the show that might be a spoiler, "Hasa Diga Eebowai" actually means "Especially Diarrhea" in Swahili. Still providing new laughs after the show. For the thin skinned "sensitive" ones with no sense of humor, I'll phrase it appropriately ... laughing off the posterior portion of my personage yet again after looking up "Hasa Diga Eebowai".

So many negative reviews. I don't get it. Homophobes? A person on stage is flamboyant, it's in the job description. Want a quiet reserved introspective individual on stage, sounds boring, Show would close in a week. Of course, automatically assume they are gay and its a problem? Maybe they are, maybe not. Who cares. Seriously, its irrelevant. Unable to laugh at the world? Laugh a little people. So many claiming the play is "racist"? "Racist" against whom? EVERYONE is equally stereotyped. Laugh together. If you feel its "racist", I have news for you, you are only looking at the play from your own racial point of view, and you are in fact the racist. Everyone should be equally offended ... which should offend nobody. LAUGH PEOPLE!!! Don't take yourself so seriously.

THANKS GREAT SHOW!!!

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

We are not Mormons, but we certainly appreciated the show’s pokes at organized religion and the need to do missions and proselytize without considering the culture before you. The dancing, singing, and acting we’re all spot on. I loved the different characters and costumes. Be prepared for plenty of adult language, but that also seems to be a character in the show.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

Firstly, I get this may not be for everyone, don’t see it if you are easily offended or religious, however I do not feel this play is racist or homophobic or portraying African Americans negatively at all. It actually makes some pretty valid points and if anything makes fun of Caucasians with ‘first world problems’ and this new generation of people becoming offended on behalf of others. The songs are great, the acting and cast are brilliant. I’ve seen it on Broadway and in London (where I was lucky enough to see Josh Gad as Elder Cunningham!)
Cast received a standing ovation at both Broadway and West End performances, but I think if you can get past the rudeness it makes a point worth thinking about.

Reviewed 6 days ago

For years I wanted to see this play, via commercials and awards I thought why not. I understand and I am not offended by off color jokes, kind of knew what I was getting into. About 30 mins into it I wanted to leave, I felt like I stumbled into a secret meeting of white people. The content and portrayal of Africans was so offensive. I don't know what got to me more, the play or the people in the audience laughing really hard. For the African American actors in the roles, you are way too talented to be apart of something so wrong. There were young white kids in there and I could never figure out how they have so much hate in their hearts at a young age. Well parents take them to plays like this to kick start their racist journey. I ran out before the lights came up, I was ashamed to be in there. I was mad that I wasted my money and disappointed yet again by the reality of the world we live in.

2  Thank Melanie C
Reviewed 1 week ago

This was really good entertainment, but given that it was written by the South Park guys, I expected more. They are basically mocking organized religion (that's my summary) and the show was well paced and the songs memorable.

I expected more which is why I gave it only four stars.

1  Thank LuxeFamilyFun
Reviewed 1 week ago

Ok- Well, I knew what I was getting into but I thought there might be a bit more intellectual humor along with the in your face naughtiness I expected. The singing was great. The idea was funny. The plot was kinda cute. The way they played it out was slightly cringy. I took my two older teens 16 and 18. Of course they thought it was awesome. That kind of explains why I thought it was Meh...I expected more. 4 candy bars and 2 cokes at intermission set me back $45 with tip though. That one definitely displeased me! Sigh, In any case it was a fun evening out. Buyer beware!

Reviewed 1 week ago

This play is the brain child of the writers and creators of “South Park”, so it was sort of understood that it will offend and repulse. They clearly have no respect for anybody or anything, henceforth the lyrics were expectedly offensive. There are continual, direct and indirect, negative references to homosexuality, bestiality, blind faith and organized religions. The language is filthy, the script is racy and sacrilegious, the parody is absurd, the humor is harsh and abound in sexual innuendoes, and yet, (shame on us), we laughed out loud several times till our sides hurt and our jaws ached. Once we got over the initial shock and awkwardness while watching the irreverent, cringe worthy and graphic song “Hasa Diga Ebowai”, we just sat back and enjoyed the comedic musical and perfect execution of the other song and dance numbers. Everything was so wrong, so crude, and so ridiculously inappropriate on so many levels, yet, we observed that the audience could not help but laugh during the entire duration of the play, Some of the subject matter touched upon was extremely unnerving, (for example infant rape and female mutilation), but we are aware that it does exists in that part of the world. I have to admit that maintaining a sane balance between those horrific stories, the vulgar lyrics and the actions and the gyrations in the songs and the dances, while making the audience stay put and laugh openly, was creative genius on their part.

Kudos to the talented cast members who were magnificent in effortlessly bringing all that crass into live entertainment. We had heard the soundtracks of some of the numbers, and seeing them come alive on stage was truly fascinating. The choreography and comedic timing were brilliant, and the singing voices of the actors were fantastic. The main characters -- Ryan Bondy as the Elder Price, Cody Jamison Strand as Elder Cunningham and Kim Exum as Nabulungi (hands down -- our favorite) were memorable,

If you are sensitive, make sure you read up on what the play is all about before you buy those very expensive tickets. The play is obviously not for everyone, so if you do happen to come, just see it with an extremely open mind, and a sense of humor. Also, be aware that the content is a very adult one and will be offensive to everybody, so keep the kids and teenagers at home.

The play has been running for quite some time now, and has won several commendations and awards. Not sure whether to recommend it to others, because some people will love it while others will absolutely hate it. I vehemently repeat – go with an OPEN mind.

1  Thank TheExplorerFamily
Reviewed 1 week ago

I didn't really know anything about the play except the name and that it was a musical. The cast was fabulous. My only advise would be if you are very religious or overly sensitive to irreverence, this is not the play for you. For the most part the play is hysterical but there were 1 or 2 songs/scenes that were questionable in my eyes, yet still wonderfully performed. It was also very thought provoking.

1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 1 week ago

Saw this with 5 other friends, all I can say is that it was the worse play I ever saw.
Did not find it funny. From our group 1 person liked it. Would definitely not recommend this play. One note I have to make is that this is the only play I’ve been to where there was no standing ovation when it was over. .??

1  Thank NjLuv2trvl
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I have seen this show twice and I can see it again and again
Live the play, the idea with its humorous criticism and above all the great music.
Great show!