“The place has good and bad days”
Review of Cornerstone Cafe

Cornerstone Cafe
Ranked #1,863 of 14,530 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I ate here a few times and had the omelet that comes with homefries and a salad. The few times i went the food was so fresh and delicious but the last 2 times the homefries were old, omelet fell apart and everything just sloppy but i have had good experiences there and the staff doesnt mind switching things for you.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've eaten here a number of times with friends. Service has been helpful and friendly. It serves dinner as well -- not clear why the listing says only breakfast/brunch. We've eaten here on the way to see plays at the Metropolitan Playhouse, now that the funky vegetarian restaurant on the corner of 4th street and Avenue C has closed. Breakfast food is more special than dinner, but dinner was good, and offers some really good specials.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We attempted (like most people) to go to Clinton Street Baking Company, but with a straight face the Hostess told us that there was a two-hour wait (!?!?!)

We headed back down Clinton in search for some grub. What a joy that we found Cornerstone. The wait was brief (10 minutes) and we sat down for what turned into an excellent experience.

Customer service was great. Coffee: hot and tasty. Mimosa: bubble and equally tasty.

The french toast is the BEST (read: the BEST) that I've ever had. They serve turkey bacon (small victory) with potatoes and a small side salad. My hubby had the pancakes and they were light and fluffy. No syrup necessary.

We have every intention to return and sample more of what the menu has to offer.

1  Thank TravelsMyMidleName
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Cornerstone has great breakfast and brunch options. If you try to go to Clinton St. Baking Co. and the wait is crazy long (it usually is) this can be a great alternative. Cozy little corner cafe in the East Village.

I posted on article on my blog about eating in the East Village. You can find it here if you are interested in more East Village restaurants:

Reviewed May 21, 2012

My wife and I went there on our way to a show.
Downtown Manhattan on a Saturday night is lively.
Lots of people out to have a good time.
So, the vibe was very good when we came into the restaurant.
The servers were very pleasant. But that's where good things ended.
While pleasant, service was actually quite poor.
3 requests and over a half hour to get a glass of water (already bought cocktails, food, etc).
Even when it came time to get the check, it took forever. And you'd think that's something they want to give you!

The food was not only very mediocre, but it made my wife sick.
She also noticed that a number of people spent quite a bit of time in the bathroom.
Couldn't help noticing as there is only one! Not even separate men's and women's.
Just one bathroom in a place whose food causes you to need the bathroom.
There just isn't anything good I can say about our time there.