“WORST PLACE EVER - AVOID IT!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riverside Studios

Hotel Riverside Studios
Ranked #435 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Oslo, Norway
“WORST PLACE EVER - AVOID IT!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've never been in such a horrible place, please avoid it! Firstly we came and the receptionist was rude, and gave us a room in 5th floor or something, we had to walk through tiny nasty corridors and the room was next to a room with open door and there sat a group of junkies. The room was terrible, no bath, looking old and horrible. We saw no emergency exit, and went back to reception, on our way a man opened his door, and inside we saw lots of stuff and garbage, HE LIVED THERE! And it stinked urin and garbage. Then we said to the receptionist we wanted a better room on the ground floor, because we actually were too afraid to sleep there, firstly because of the nasty people we had seen (we are 2 blond girls), and secondly because if there is a fire, you are dead, you can't escape with those tiny corridors. Then the receptionist gave us a room in an annex, there the customers were a bit different: backpackers and european young tourists. The rooms were terrible, dirty, it stinked, and the owen is a fire danger. The shared bathroom was dirty as well and we went to the bathroom together because we were afraid of being raped by the homeless that lived in the hotel. One of the showers didn't work and we were afraid to get any infectious diseases... Sincerely this hotel destroyed our trip to New York, we tried to find other hotels but we couldn't afford it. We had to sleep with clothes and bath cap on our heads because we were afraid of getting bugs in the hair, it was sooo dirty there!! When we came back home we desinfected all the things that we had there, washed all the clothes that had been in contact with the hotel, and even washed the suitcases.... Imagine..... Never ever again!! Not even if I get paid for sleeping there...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank Hispanorwegian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Going to make this a short review: This hotel is not a pleasant place to stay in at all - my mum nearly killed me for booking it!! HOWEVER, we decided last minute to stay in NY, so we wanted something cheap! You really do get what you pay for and although i would not stay here again, we had a great time and the location is very good!! Also, we were up and out early as we did not really want to be in the room! So probably got to see more of NY than we would have otherwise!!! That's about the only good thing i can say!!

Room Tip: Good location but all rooms = horrible!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank gfhjkl

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Copenhagen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

called here to book for new year's eve with my friends but, i was told that the hotel has been closed since dec 2011. the manager told me that it has been shut down and they'll be renovating soon. stayed here few years back just to store our stuff and was given a suite room which was pretty decent (fridge, private bath), price was very affordable. i thought we could do the same this year since we just need a place to put our stuff after partying on new year's eve.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mahleen
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel was definitely an experience I will not forget. My group of 10 people stayed here for 2 nights. We choice this hotel mainly for the location as it was pretty central to most of the New York attractions.

The hotel, or should I say, homeless shelter, was extremely tiny, dirty, smelly and very out of our comfort zone. We found cockroaches of the bed and the cleanest place I could find to unpack my clothes was the fridge.
The hotel wasn't even well priced.
If I had my time over I would have chosen something south of manhattan. It's cheaper and a better area.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Djenat
Athens, Ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My sister and I booked here through a discount website. We knew the neighborhood and wanted a safe and quiet quarter. The hotel was some weird low income rental village where people in duct tape shoes meet European tourists. We booked for three nights but checked out after one. The desk clerk did not ask any questions, just laughed.That there was no heat or blankets was not even a factor. Unless you're scouting a site in which to shoot a horror film stay somewhere else

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank yogini910
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

After reading that short term renting is a thing of the past I find myself with conflicting feelings. I stayed there many years ago the summer after 9-11. The place was a dive but all I did was sleep and store my stuff. I did several loads of washing in the basement and talked with several residents about the building and living in NY. It was great. Being so close to Lincoln Center and Central Park and the Subway was great. But I guess it will never happen again. Real Mixed feelings.

Room Tip: Never again I guess. Again it was the Summer after 9-11
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank rwaustin
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Location: The location is great. It's just a few minutes to the 72nd street subway, The Dakota where Lennon was shot, Central Park and Strawberry Fields. The neighborhood is very residential and in a no-honk zone which makes it quiet. This is about the only good thing about the hotel

Hotel: The hotel can't even really be called a hotel. It's a youth hostel without an age restriction. In each room you get a bed, a small TV a mirror and a sink. That's it! You have to leave a deposit at the front desk for sheets and they are not the cleanest in the world. The bathrooms are shared. Each bathroom has a toilet and a shower. Imagine how long it takes for you to wait to do your business in the morning! The lifts are ancient and slow. The front desk could really care less about you being there.

The only reason we booked this hotel was because we needed to get to New York on the cheap for my wife to audition for the show Project Runway. There was some other even going on at the time and hotel prices were 3X what they usually go for. For $100 a night, we weren't expecting much. I think that I would have felt ripped off at $20.

Stay away...stay FAR FAR away!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple