“You get what you pay for!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riverside Studios
Ranked #444 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Going to make this a short review: This hotel is not a pleasant place to stay in at all - my mum nearly killed me for booking it!! HOWEVER, we decided last minute to stay in NY, so we wanted something cheap! You really do get what you pay for and although i would not stay here again, we had a great time and the location is very good!! Also, we were up and out early as we did not really want to be in the room! So probably got to see more of NY than we would have otherwise!!! That's about the only good thing i can say!!

Room Tip: Good location but all rooms = horrible!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank gfhjkl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Copenhagen
Reviewed November 15, 2012

called here to book for new year's eve with my friends but, i was told that the hotel has been closed since dec 2011. the manager told me that it has been shut down and they'll be renovating soon. stayed here few years back just to store our stuff and was given a suite room which was pretty decent (fridge, private bath), price was very affordable. i thought we could do the same this year since we just need a place to put our stuff after partying on new year's eve.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mahleen

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel was definitely an experience I will not forget. My group of 10 people stayed here for 2 nights. We choice this hotel mainly for the location as it was pretty central to most of the New York attractions.

The hotel, or should I say, homeless shelter, was extremely tiny, dirty, smelly and very out of our comfort zone. We found cockroaches of the bed and the cleanest place I could find to unpack my clothes was the fridge.
The hotel wasn't even well priced.
If I had my time over I would have chosen something south of manhattan. It's cheaper and a better area.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Djenat
Athens, Ga
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My sister and I booked here through a discount website. We knew the neighborhood and wanted a safe and quiet quarter. The hotel was some weird low income rental village where people in duct tape shoes meet European tourists. We booked for three nights but checked out after one. The desk clerk did not ask any questions, just laughed.That there was no heat or blankets was not even a factor. Unless you're scouting a site in which to shoot a horror film stay somewhere else

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank yogini910
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 13, 2012

After reading that short term renting is a thing of the past I find myself with conflicting feelings. I stayed there many years ago the summer after 9-11. The place was a dive but all I did was sleep and store my stuff. I did several loads of washing in the basement and talked with several residents about the building and living in NY. It was great. Being so close to Lincoln Center and Central Park and the Subway was great. But I guess it will never happen again. Real Mixed feelings.

Room Tip: Never again I guess. Again it was the Summer after 9-11
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank rwaustin
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Location: The location is great. It's just a few minutes to the 72nd street subway, The Dakota where Lennon was shot, Central Park and Strawberry Fields. The neighborhood is very residential and in a no-honk zone which makes it quiet. This is about the only good thing about the hotel

Hotel: The hotel can't even really be called a hotel. It's a youth hostel without an age restriction. In each room you get a bed, a small TV a mirror and a sink. That's it! You have to leave a deposit at the front desk for sheets and they are not the cleanest in the world. The bathrooms are shared. Each bathroom has a toilet and a shower. Imagine how long it takes for you to wait to do your business in the morning! The lifts are ancient and slow. The front desk could really care less about you being there.

The only reason we booked this hotel was because we needed to get to New York on the cheap for my wife to audition for the show Project Runway. There was some other even going on at the time and hotel prices were 3X what they usually go for. For $100 a night, we weren't expecting much. I think that I would have felt ripped off at $20.

Stay away...stay FAR FAR away!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Spankytoes
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I had a chance to stay 1 night in Hotel Riverside Studios and I know it was my last visit at this hotel. The interior of the building is very old fashioned and I would recommend you to go through the dark corridors to your room only if you want to feel like in a horror movie. There are shared toilets as well as dirty bathrooms. Maybe it could be a good hotel for drunk people returning from the pub, who don't care about where they will sleep in next 5 hours. On the other side, the courtyard view rooms are quiet.

Room Tip: Try it, but be sure you don't want to spent a romantic weekend in New York.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo