“Riverside Studios Update” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #434 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Escondido, California
“Riverside Studios Update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I guess this is not technically a review, but wanted to give everyone a heads up. The times my family and I have traveled to NYC (plenty of times) we have stayed at hotel Riverside Studios. It was not a fancy hotel AT ALL...but it suited our needs. The room was always decent (clean sheets, mini fridge, bathroom) although we did have to share a bathroom with other tenants. Fortunately, we did not experience anything extremely horrible that other visitors did. It was a good place to crash at night. Anyway, I was planning another trip out there and was trying to book a room at this place but saw that all of their dates were booked online. So, I decided to call and see if I could book a room. The person who answered the phone told me that they were no longer allowed to rent out their rooms since they got in trouble with the city of New York. I guess this ties in with the police officer story that someone shared on this page a while ago. I am sure many people will be happy that this place has closed its doors to the traveling public; I, on the other hand, am bummed out. It was the cheapest hotel (in a nice area), I could find in Manhattan, close to everything. Now I have to go find another hotel that is inexpensive, where I don't have to share a room with complete strangers (like in a hostel), Anywho, just wanted to make sure I tell people in case someone was thinking about booking a room at this place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mcl777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I wanted somewhere to stay in Manhattan that was cheap but close to everything. This place is perfect for that! It's not a Hilton...but the room felt as cozy as any other hotel. The building is old and seems to be mostly all original so it looks a lil run-down....but personally I like the old rustic look/feel. The room was CLEAN and the sheets smelled and felt fresh, the room had a bed, fridge, sink, table, bed and TV....bathrooms are shared with others on the floor (but you use it privately - meaning not a locker room bathroom). The location is awesome - 2 blocks from subway station, few blocks from central park, quiet and NICE neighborhood. If you're travelling to NYC to be out of your room for most of your stay then this place is great!!!! If you're looking for a romantic-stay in your hotel room alot type of get-away...then this is the wrong place to stay. NOTE: this building was built as a luxury hotel in the 30's and went through a phase where it was "single occupancy apartments" and still serves as apartments for some people who have lived there 20-30 years.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank smiling4ever
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

we arrived in NY expecting alot, we got alot! the showers had hair i them, we had food under the bed, and the long dirty hallways felt like we were walking in a horror movie. we never saw any staff other than the grumpy receptionist.
... interesting, yes

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank samgillett7

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

This cheap hotel I can recommend for it's location near the Central Park, the hotel is situated in very beautiful and silent street with nice buildings... Hotel room is simple, the restroom is on the floor, but no problem, very clean, and not so much people for one restroom...

Room Tip: In New York is better to prefer location then hotel rooms, suites...It is the city that never sleeps...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marcela K
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was looking for a cheap place to stay in the centre of NYC, that was convenient for seeing all the sites, going clubbing, and in a safe location. This hotel ticked all three boxes.

Although the place was moving with bugs, there were cigarette burns in the duvet cover, the walls were filthy, slander was scrawled over the "Do not disturb" door hanger, scorch marks on the walls, the radiator didn't work, and the fan in the window was held in with duct tape. But I liked it. We shared a bathroom with the whole floor and the window (that looked out on to an alley) didn't close. So everyone could see you. But still I liked it!

It was in a great location, five minutes walk from Times Square - the neighbourhood was really nice and there was a great little eatery just down the road. If ever I was to go back to NYC I would stay there again. There was a sink in the room and the bed was very comfortable.

... A little bit of dirtiness never hurt anyone.... Right?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dagadooga
Marlow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

It's certainly not worth the $128 I paid for it. Only thing I will give it is that I have worked at summer camps and lived in a tent for a summer which was better but the sheets were clean. The police officer story: we went to the vending machine for a snack and when we came back 3 officers asked if we lived there? We said no and they said well there has been complaints by residents who said its being used as a hotel. We said we were staying the night and they told us that it is not allowed to be used as a hotel and who did we get the room from. I said travelocity and they said well try and get your money back. SERIOUSLY if they are right and why would they be there if not, then believe me when I say, its NOT a hotel!

MY FIANCEE WAS SCARED THE WHOLE NIGHT - couldn't afford anywhere else at short notice...

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank gmansa80
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I found this hotel after looking for a cheap place to stay in Manhattan.
It is rundown and has minimal services. The hallways and stairways are shabby and the elevator was more hassle than it was worth but our room was clean and roomy and our sheets were not dirty despite what other reviews report. The room had a fridge, air conditioner sink and TV, all relatively new and functional. The communal bathrooms are old but basically clean and functional, except for one of the toilets on our floor that was backed up for a day but the second one was still functioning and not at all busy. The laundry is in the dingy basement and requires lots of coins.
Having said all that we barely did anything but sleep in the room as it is Manhattan after all. It is a great neighbourhood with easy access to the subway and good local restuarants and food shopping (Trader Joes!). In a city with outrageously expensive hotels and much to do it stacks up as good value but don't expect any real standards as it is an old building with no efforts to renovate or update.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family