“City Club Hotel - Good!”
Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
City Club Hotel
Ranked #252 of 467 Hotels in New York City
South Dakota
“City Club Hotel - Good!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We booked our stay with airline reservations (hotel and air) and were going to by the reviews which were pretty favorable. We were pleased (though initially a bit apprehensive since we asked to be away from the elevator as that was noted in previous reviews as something to request.) We were on the second floor and right next to the elevator. Sounded like there wasn't another option for the accommodations we needed. Front desk assured us it wouldn't be a problem. It really was fine...so that was a pleasant surprise/I had earplugs but the others said noise wasn't a problem. Our first trip to NY so we didn't know what to expect. Staff was super friendly/professional; no lobby to speak of and "boutique" hotel is a good term to describe; kind of reminiscent of a 1940's and contemporary room decor. Nice bathroom though a suggestion would be some non-skid in the shower to avoid slipping. Towel bar and counter/mirror must have been installed by a taller person as it's not for anyone on the shorter side. Bed was a double and not very comfortable but we were so tired it was OK. We were there for 4 nights. We got cookies 2 of the nights...which were great. I think we got missed the other 2 nights. There were 3 of us in the hotel but we got two cookies. Also want to note the housekeeping service was amazing. Very kind/friendly. The best part was the location. Close to the theaters and Times Square. There were wooden shutters on the window above air conditioning unit and when folded open, we noticed black mold growing on the back side so we folded back shut but that really was our only complaint.

Room Tip: About 2 blocks to the heart of Times Square; short walk to Madame Tussaud's Wax museum; shorter...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Traveltell
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay at City Club Hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your first trip to NYC and so happy you chose to stay with us! I appreciate your feedback about your stay and your room; it helps us to continue to improve. I sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future!

Lauren Reynor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I will never return, i forget one thing in my room, i can remember when and where, i sent a lot of mails without response during one week (and nothing, any word or information!), finally i sent a mail talking about another thing and... Magical! My mail was answered in one hour.
Finally I call the hotel, they have not worried and they say "i dont have it", this service is shameful, i can remember perfectly where are my object, this hotel it not serious.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Sandrabcn2014
Thank you for writing about your experience at City Club Hotel. I am very sorry to hear that we did not recover the item that was left behind. Please contact me directly- I would be happy to try and assist you further. I can certainly understand your frustration with us for not responding to you in a timely manner; this is unacceptable and not indicative of the service we strive to provide.
I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

ohio
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Beware! I booked this hotel for 4 nights for 2 adults and 2 children. Upon arrival, we were told that the hotel was full and they could only give us a room with a Queen bed. We had no alternative at that point and were forced to stay. Apparently, the City Club Hotel knows how to take a reservation but does not know how to keep a reservation. If you are a family, I would stay away from this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank wreserve
Thank you for writing about your recent experience at City Club Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the accommodation that you originally booked and am committed to determining exactly what happened. It would be helpful if I could discuss this with you personally so I may obtain the details of your reservation.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss this.
I hope to hear from you soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I booked a room on very short notice for a business trip without having researched the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodation and staff. The rooms were very clean and well serviced. The restaurant downstairs was perfect for business meetings. The location is very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad that you found our location ideal for business travel.
We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to NYC!

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My partner and I booked a six night stay at the City Club Hotel for a recent holiday to NYC to celebrate his 50th birthday. Being a special occasion we decided to treat ourselves and so paid for an executive room. I cannot fault this hotel! The location was excellent, just a short walk to the Times Square area and all the sights around there. The room was excellent, really spacious and immaculately maintained. The bathroom was huge and very stylish in its décor, with very nice toiletries supplied and refreshed each day. The bed was very large and comfortable. House keeping were excellent. Every evening there were fresh baked cookies left in the room for us, which we thought was a really nice touch. Daily newspaper every morning. Large TV in the room. Complimentary Wi-Fi so we could use our I-Pad for internet. Reception staff were all very pleasant and helpful, and welcomed us back every time we returned to the hotel, and we really felt that nothing would have been too much trouble for them. Be aware that there is no 'business centre' in the hotel, so nowhere to print tickets or boarding passes yourself, but when we asked about this at reception they were only too happy to supply an e-mail address for the hotel so we could forward our boarding pass information. These were then printed and slid under our door for us the evening before we departed. No hotel bar which would have been nice, but then it's not as though NYC is short of bars! Very gorgeous-looking restaurant attached to the hotel next door, although we didn't actually eat there. Would thoroughly recommend this wonderful boutique hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you choosing City Club to celebrate your special occasion! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Perfectly located in midtown, tidy rooms, had a bidet and minibar, the diner next door is excellent, 2 blocks from the Newark airport express bus stop and pleasant staff. The aircon was slightly noisy, that's my only negative. Overall, you can't beat the area for access up and down Manhattan.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your stay at City Club Hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Boston
Reviewed June 11, 2014

There are lots of boutique hotels in NYC; they all start to blur after awhile. This one had some nice touches, and felt a bit less impersonal than the rest. It was slightly European in feel, and reminded me of a place that one might stumble on in, say, Milan: small, clean, efficient, stylish, and comfortable.

Though my room was in the back and on the small side (per the relatively inexpensive rate I was paying), it was fine for my needs. The bed/linens were excellent, the bathroom was huge (with nice plush robes), the TV had dozens of (free) channels, and there were good reading lights above the bed (never a given these days). There were chocolate cookies on my bed at night, and a newspaper on my door in the morning. And the staff were nice and helpful.

44th St. between Fifth and Sixth Avenues isn't New York's most beautiful stretch, but it's extremely central. And if you're going to the theater, it's a much better location than staying right in the middle of Times Square, with all its commotion; you can be at any Broadway theater in 10 minutes.

In short, I'd recommend this place, at least for a nice, relatively affordable weekend stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Bequia1
Thank you for sharing your experience at City Club Hotel! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!