“Nice hotel, centrally located”
Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
Ranked #302 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights, one adult and two teenagers. Ended up in a king room with a bench style twin. It's not a sofa bed and doesn't pull out. The size of the room was okay, typical for New York. We didn't feel claustrophobic, but we did have to maneuver around each other. The bathroom was very spacious and felt indulgent. Both the king and the sofa were comfortable. The room was clean. The tv cable was out most of the time. Front desk said they were working on it, but nothing changed while we were there. You're not in New York to watch tv but it's nice to get the local news, etc. Got to the hotel early and they held our bags with no problem. However, disappointing that our room wasn't ready until 4:30, but they didn't have late check out available for us. Held our bags again without problem. Turn down service with chocolate chip cookies and a daily newspaper were appreciated. Staff were always polite. The hotel is located midtown, in the theatre district, walking distance from Rockefeller Plaza and Times Square.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kimberly H
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experience at City Club. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience with your cable television. During your stay we were in the process of upgrading our cable system and found that in some rooms the connection was compromised. Although the technicians attempted to fix this in a timely manner, in this case it took longer than anticipated.
I'm glad you found your accommodations comfortable and would recommend a Luxe Double Double room in the future, should you decide to visit us again. This room type would offer you more space and more bedding.
I sincerely hope to welcome you and your family back to City Club in the future and look forward to making your next stay perfect!

Kindest regards,
Lauren Reynor

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I stay at the city club this weekend. We stayed for 2 nights and split the cost, I did one night, he did the other. When we arrived the lady at the front desk put one night on my card and the second night on my boyfriends. There was also a 200$ security deposit, which was a surprise to me. Did not mention that when I called to make my reservation, so we split that too. The room was 383$ per night plus 100 for the security so 483 per night. When we arrived at our room we both checked our bank statement to make sure everything went the right way, and it did. I was charged $483 and he was also. The next morning we went down the street for breakfast, when we were done I gave the waitress my credit card and she came back saying it was declined. I started to panic because I knew I had money. I then checked on my bank statement and I had TWO charges for $483.00 at this point in time my account was withdrawn because I only brought a certain amount of money with me so I didn't spend to much. I then asked my boyfriend to check his bank statement and his 1 night which was $483 was BACK INTO HIS ACCOUNT. We then went right to the hotel and I explained the situation to the man at the front desk, which he wasn't very helpful at all. He had told us that it was a system fault because at the end of the night the system did not recognize that we were splitting the cost. Since I made the reservation my card number was the main one and the computer saw that my card was not charged enough for 2 nights and automatically charged me for the second night. The mam at the front desk still continued to not help me. Told me I had to call my bank. After being on hold for over 30 minutes with the bank I explained to her what had happened. She told me I needed them to fax overt information and what amount they needed to take off my card. After wasting about 2 hours with this, it was half way resolved. I am still waiting for my security deposit and the rest of my money to go back into my account. VERY UPSET AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. I do not recommend staying there because they just screw you over. To add to this the noise from outside was VERY VERY loud. Woke me up multiple times a night.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Katerinaxox
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We recently stayed here and it was a great experience. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. The room was lovely with an old world elegance combined with a modern vibe. We ordered coffee in the morning and the service was fabulous. It added some luxe to the start of our day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Esther H
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel the night before the hubs and I went to NYC. So we got a pretty good deal on it. We opted for the queen luxe room instead of the standard 195 ft2 room, which I've read was too small to walk around.

ROOM: Our room was cute. Decent size. Queen bed, sofa, closet, desk. The bathroom was large and I agree with other reviewers that they probably could've made the bathroom a bit smaller in order to make more living space, especially if we were in the smaller room. There was a bidet in the bathroom, which the hubs (of all people, loved). It had 2 windows, but you looked directly into the next building. We couldn't tell if it was cloudy or sunny outside.

SERVICE: We arrived very early in the morning and our room was not ready, but we left our number with the receptionist who a few hours later, as we were at lunch, called us so we could check in earlier. That was VERY nice. They were extremely hospitable. They left cookies on our bed each night as well as a card for room service and a weather report for the next day.

LOCATION: We took the subway from LGA to the hotel. It was so easy to get there. Their MTA is crowded but very efficient. THe hotel is on a quiet street but only blocks from TSQ, which was great. It was also near Grand Central Station, where we took a shuttle to the airport when we left for an early flight.

Overall, we had a great experience and really enjoyed the hotel. We would definitely stay there again in the future.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charon2143
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The City Club is a perfectly located small hotel ... safe, quiet, and modernized. I had a 'petite' room on the 9th floor. The front desk gave me the option of upgrading to a larger room as I checked in, as the 'petite' room is very small. But I was traveling alone, and I'd already read the Tripadvisor reviews of the petite room and knew it was snug but efficiently designed.

The only negatives about my room are the wallpaper, which is looking a bit tired, and the minimal shelf/storage space. However, the bed was comfortable, linens were very good, the fixtures were all modern, and, most importantly when it's 9 degrees out, the hot water was plentiful and water pressure was superb. Toiletries were also very nice. And the stocked minibar is handy when you get the munchies.

Some reviewers have complained about thin walls ... I did hear occasional conversation in the hallway, but you can hear that at The W for a lot more money. I never go to NYC without earplugs, and I didn't need mine.

The hotel staff was extremely courteous and well trained. When you check in, you affirm that you will not be partying or smoking during your stay. Yay.

I was in town to see theatre, and the location of the City Club is simply perfect for that. Also, there's a deli within steps of the hotel that's convenient for getting an inexpensive (really!) and delicious bite to eat.

I would stay at the City Club again. I did get an amazingly good rate on Expedia the weekend I was there, which might have been because it was the weekend before the Super Bowl and because the temps were extraordinarily low.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with someone, do not get the petite room. It's very small, too small for t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank CountessCeprano
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I needed a last minute room, and this hotel offered significant discounted "winter rates" compared to several other places in the immediate area. I originally reserved a "Petite" room, but was upgraded to a double on arrival. The room was lovely and comfortable. Customer service was stellar from the moment I checked in. Unexpected bonuses included free NY Times in the morning, high-quality bathroom products, super comfy mattresses and nice bathrobes. My only issue was hearing doors being slammed shut all night long and again during check out in the morning...so I didn't sleep well as a result. Street noise is also loud in the morning; front facing rooms hear everything outside.

I was presently surprised by this very small boutique property.

Room Tip: Avoid the grossly overpriced DB restaurant attached to the hotel. Save your money.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Checked in on January 14th, 2014 after flying nonstop for close to 40 hours. I arrived to a smiling face at the front desk and was told that I was upgraded from the petite room to a standard with a king bed with a tub/shower combo. I was overjoyed! My room was on the 4th floor and faced the back of the building. It was very quiet. The room was a very nice size, it had a big flat screen tv, fully stocked hidden fridge with other goodies on shelves, umbrella, tons of hangars, desk, chair, a good sized marble bathroom with tons of towels, 2 plush robes and amenities by CO Bigelow. I was only staying the night but I unpacked anyway. What I forgot to mention is that turn down service was already done on the bed and to my surprise, a fresh, large chocolate chip cookie that put a big smile on my face. It was yummy! Within a half hour I was in a bed that felt like I was floating on clouds. The pillows were so soft. It felt great for this weary traveler. I slept wonderfully! The next morning I went out to grab a take out breakfast. I asked the ladies at the front desk if I could do a late check out so instead of 12 noon I was able to get 1 pm. I actually went back to sleep after eating. The shower pressure was great and adjustable. There was a blow dryer but there was no socket in the bathroom! LOL! So I plugged it in by the desk and it was all good. This is now going to be my go to hotel when I'm in NYC. The doormen, reception...everyone - they were all great, very friendly and it was a great change from staying at the usual "name brand" hotels. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Unless you want a street view that will be a little noisy throughout the day, get one in the back of...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business