“Nice boutique hotel in the heart of Manhattan”
Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
Ranked #302 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The City Club indeed in a nice little surprise tucked away on W 44th St. (Not a lot of signage--easy to miss.) It is just a block or so away from the heart of the theatre district. For me, it was a combination of location, price, and style. I was looking for a good deal, which this wound up being for me, but also meant that it was probably one of the smallest rooms and did not have the spacious bathroom others mentioned and the view was into the air shaft (which was quiet though!). Which was all fine; it was big enough for me, and who comes to the theater district to stay in the room? I liked the atmosphere, and the staff at the hotel were all gracious and professional. The other touches (nice toiletries, bathrobes for your stay, cookies on check-in) make it just that much nicer. It's not the newest hotel, but my room was fine and the bed fairly comfortable. AND free wifi. Now THAT will always win me over.
The one thing it could use is a couple more outlets open for guest use in the room.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

It's a beautiful little hotel that I had booked based on the price and the 4 star reviews that was given on it.The location was very easy to get to. Its a staff were very helpful from front desk to turn down service. I would truly stay here again and definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This place really is a nice surprise in NYC, where even in "nice" places you can be easily disappointed. Smaller and more intimate than the usual hotels--this place sits in the old "club district" where clubs like the Harvard Club etc moved in in the late 1890s. City Club was a bi-partisan pols hang-out finished in 1904. Today the rooms have a fairly classy feeling--with lots of wood, historical lithos and very nice traditional bath fixtures. I've stayed several times and recommend the larger rooms (King and Queen)--you can find them on Amex in the travel section if you're trading miles. Also--the ladies will want a room with a bathtub which you need to request when you book. Big pluses incl very reasonable (35) validated parking directly across the street; warm cookies on check in; walk to Broadway theatres; and very good on-site restaurant (Daniel Boulud's DB Moderne) where I ordered a fab poached egg breakfast from room service.

Room Tip: Bathtub rooms in back on request; validated parking across the street. Queen size best deal but King...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Knohanz
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have stayed at City Club Hotel on most NYC visits and LOVE it! Fantastic service, small intimate and clear attention by the staff make for a perfect get-away in a fun busy city. From the friendly approachable general manager to the hospitable and reliable guest services to the housekeeping staff. Scented toiletries and the turndown service with a chocolate chip cookie make the stay. I can't think of a better hotel. I plan to continue to use this as my first go-to hotel in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I just returned from a very quick business trip to NYC. Stayed at the City Club for one night only...wished I could have stayed a few extra nights. the location is outstanding for access to shopping on Fifth Ave, Radio City and Times Square. Anywhere else in NYC you need to get to is less than a five minute walk to the subway station in Times Square.
I reserved a standard room that had a full size bed and day lounge. My room was on the third floor and I did not notice any outside noise. . The bed and linen was very comfortable..the bathroom stylish and the shower had the hottest and best pressure I have experienced in NY.
Returning from dinner I was greeted warmly by the front desk and in my room was a plate of delicious chocolate chip cookies. In the morning attached to my door was a small linen bag that held the daily newspaper..a nice touch. The closet was a bit hard to notice in my room as the door is built into the wall next to the front door. The wall and door look pretty much the same. Plenty of room to hang clothes and in the closet is an iron and iron board along with a full size umbrella that can be used during your stay..however you are charged if the umbrella finds its way back home with you.
My room had two windows, both covered by the drawn curtain and neither with any view...which is fine by me...I don't book a room in NY for the view.
I was very pleased with finding this hotel and will definitely plan on staying here in the future.

1  Thank Foxman2014
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We booked this hotel last minute as a stopping point en route to JFK airport. We got a great deal from Hotels.com and the location was perfect as it was just a block from where our bus dropped us off. We arrived at about 10pm and were greeted by a friendly doorman and front desk agents who checked us in quickly and were able to answer questions about airport transportation. Our room was on the ninth floor, and upon getting in the elevator, we noticed the 9th floor button was added on after the elevator was built, which made us feel a little uneasy. However, when we got to our room, we were very pleasantly surprised! The room was small, but made good use of the space available. The double bed was comfortable and had a plate of chocolate chip cookies sitting on the pillow when we arrived. The room was very clean! The bathroom was very spacious and had a huge marble shower, two bathrobes for our use, and a bidet. We left for the airport early in the morning so didn't have the chance to try the bistro on the first floor. We would definitely stay here again! Very unassuming from the street, but exceeded our expectations! It is in a great location - only a short walk from times square and next to a few other boutique hotels such as the Royalton.

Room Tip: rooms on a high floor, not facing the street have very little street noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I booked this the same day as arrival through hotels.com. Got incredible deal of under $150 - the location is on a little side street (44th) around the corner from the mayhem of Broadway and Times Sq. Arriving on a Friday night after a snowstorm, I was able to get street parking across the street from the hotel for $3.50 an hour while I checked in with my little dog. (After 6 I was able to park for free overnight) They were very welcoming of my well-behaved pup which I appreciated. Check-in so easy, the lobby is tiny and check in counter the size of a drive-through (not a bad thing). The hotel seemed like a small classic old-style broadway hotel, yet with several nice touches, updates, and finishes. Nice service as well.
The room was small and faced the "courtyard"/alley. I kept the windows covered the whole time so no biggie. There was no view out the front anyway.
Double bed was comfy, and linen was crisp and clean. Nice feather comforter. Bathroom was HUGE, but simple. Nice toiletries. I thought they did a good job with the layout of the room. It had a nice little settee space built in to the wall, that looked like it could also double as a twin sleeping space. Also there was a nice desk area that I was able to comfortably do some work.
The restaurant downstairs ambiance looked good but I did not try it. I did though stop into The Red Flame diner a few doors down from the hotel at the corner of 6th Ave for a late night snack after seeing "700 Sundays".
The next day I took a meander into the Diamond District on the 5th Ave side of the hotel and up a few blocks. After check out I was able to remote start my car from the lobby and when ready, drove off to do some business in SOHO.
Overall I found this to be a cute little place if you need to be in midtown. I generally like to stay in the less touristy places like the meatpacking district or Soho to get away from the mania of mid-town, but this place was intimate enough to make me feel like I was in a quaint neighborhood.
I have no idea what subways are nearby, but I'm pretty sure they are close by.
There are some other hotels on this street as well, but I would absolutely stay here again as long as I needed to be in mid-town and the price was right.

2  Thank betti14