“A good choice off Times Square”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
Ranked #210 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“A good choice off Times Square”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

City Club Hotel is located on a wonderful block of 44th St.--its neighbors include the Sofitel, the Algonquin, the Iroquois, some university clubs, and other small boutique hotels. It is well located relative to Fifth Avenue shopping, Rockefeller Center, and the Theatre District. I stay at City Club frequently when I'm in Manhattan on business and need to be in midtown.
Overall, the hotel is, as other guests have noted, clean, friendly, and pretty well run. The rooms are fairly large for Manhattan. I stopped staying at CC when the on-premises restaurant, db Bistro Moderne, was about to undergo renovation and started slipping badly (this is important to me because I often need to entertain clients and it is most convenient to do so at the hotel restaurant). I tried CC again on a recent trip and also ate at the remodeled restaurant (posting that review shortly). Overall, the experience was pretty good, although I noticed on this trip that the hotel, which seemed chic and well-appointed a few years ago, is now showing some wear and tear. Also, I was reminded that the front desk resembles a teller's window in a bank, which means that you may have to wait when checking in or seeking help. For example, on this trip I stood in line for some time behind another guest who was getting information, even though there were three front desk staff standing behind the counter.
For the reasons above, I always look for alternatives but keep coming back to City Club because the value is very good at the price point, and the location is unbeatable.
If you decide to stay there, check out the pre-theatre menus at the Algonquin, which does a nice dinner for the price and has a wonderful history and atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Barb1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Concierge went above and beyond. Stored our luggage without hassle before check in and after check out. Friendly, helpful staff with the info you need to get around and see the sights. Clean, modern, updated rooms. Great location close to Times Square but minus the noise and confusion. Liked the complimentary newspaper and the delicious cookies delivered with turn down service. Linens never ran low and enjoyed the robes. We stayed in a Queen luxe. Lovely chocolate granite bathroom and waterfall shower. I would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank denverjanie
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed on a Friday night and received a free upgrade. Staff was very pleasant and it was quiet. The bed was clean and bathroom was a nice size for NYC. Liked the complimentary NY Times and overall a terrific experience.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our recent stay at City Club Hotel. For the dates we were looking for this hotel was at the cheaper end of the scale (for NYC) for a central location and we were very impressed.
Room; We booked a petite room but received a complimentary upgrade on arrival to a Queen Luxe, this room was still on the small side but very comfortable with all the essentials we expected (i.e. basic toiletries, TV, iron, hairdryer, iPod docking station) and a gorgeous bathroom with a huge shower! Location; Perfect - very close to Times Square but did not suffer from noise.
Staff: were helpful and gave us a complimentary extended check-out time.
Amenities; Hotel offers very little in the way of amenities, but you're in NYC so doesn't really matter in my opinion! Excellent diner (Red Flame) a few doors down street, highly recommend esp for breakfast. Also recommend Un Deux Trois Cafe for dinner. Slightly disappointed that City Clubs website states complimentary membership to New York Sports Club however, we were informed it would cost $20 as we'd booked through lastminute.
I would definitely stay again....if only for the delicious cookies which were delivered to us each evening!!

1 Thank clusher
World
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

It's really hard to find a large enough space, with two bathrooms at a decent hotel in NYC. This is " the" place-and it is incredibly priced ( please anyone who thinks their suite price is high please compare to two bed/two bath room at any 4 star hotel in NYC ). They have several bi level suites, which offer privacy and two bathrooms ( only upstairs one is full bath). My daughter thinks the winding staircase ( not good for toddlers) leading up is amazing and the very hip decor is perfect for a NYC visit. They even supply you with a fully loaded iPod and Dock to listen to music. Great service, one of NYC best bistro is on main level adjacent to hotel, tons of space ( one of the largest suites I've had in NYC ) and it's right off Time Square. A gem, almost hated to disclose the secret of the suite in fear of it being sold out next time we go.

Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Chefintraining4ever
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for four nights to celebrate my birthday. We booked a king size bed and received a room with that, plus a day bed. We really did not use the day bed for anything more than piling our stuff on it, so it wasnt a useful feature for us. If you enjoy a lobby as a place to hang out, this hotel has no lobby. We were a bit worried when we checked in, as you walk in to a tiny vestibule area with a tiny "front desk". The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, providing recommendations and directions. Our room was on the eighth floor, facing 44th street. As with everything in New York, right across the street are other building with full views of whatever is going on inside. Our room had rudimentary shutters, not drapes, to block out light, provide privacy and probably to protect against the cold in winter. The windows are old single pane glass, and even though the days were warmer for October, we could feel the chill due to the old windows. The room was a bit tired re decor, and wallpaper needs replacing, but arent they all? There are no bureaus, just bedside tabes with drawers, which is where we stored extra clothes. Flat screen TV mounted on the wall. Lots of lights, and the bathroom, though small had a huge shower, with awesome water pressure. The bed. Sigh. Why hotels do not realize that beds are THE priority is beyond me. Ours was an older mattress with a down pillow topper. No elastic bands to keep it in place, so it slid way down during the night. My husband spent the whole weekend hauling it back in place in the middle of the night. So, sleep was just OK due to quality of bed. Even though we were directly across from the elevator, the hotel only has 44 rooms, so the elevator noise wasnt constant. The main reason I would recommend this hotel is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Just 5 minutes from Times Square, 5th Avenue and all that Manhattan has to offer. A twenty minute walk to Central Park. There is a diner down the block called The Red Flame, a strange name for a basic diner, but the food is amazing! Big servings, quality ingredients and friendly staff. We ate breakfast there every day, but it is super busy so be prepared to wait. So, I would recommend this hotel simply due to location. While there were lots of other hotels on the block, I am sure they were more expensive, with bigger lobbies, etc., but for the amount of time you spend in your room, save some money and stay here. Oh, and the chocolate chip cookies provided each night for turn down service are wonderful and a lovely touch.

2 Thank Yankeewench
Bellevue
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I joined family in NYC on a busy weekend; hotel prices were higher than usual and I opted for something on the lower end of the price scale. City Club proved a good value. Nothing pretentious about it; the lobby is so small it barely exists, two pleasant people staff the miniature front desk. I chose a Petite room, which lives up to its name - very small, but still comfortable. The hotel restaurant had been closed, and was just reopening, so only a continental breakfast was available. Moreover, coffee was only available as part of the continental breakfast, and since coffee was all I wanted, I had to leave the hotel to truly awaken in the morning. I trust that has been remedied by now. I had some trouble with TMobile coverage in the room, but that is certainly not the hotel's fault. All in all I was quite satisfied.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family