“Lovely quirky hotel, ideal location”
Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
Ranked #309 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The hotel is small and intimate with lots of luxury touches. Also lots of quirks as we found out when we found the fridge etc behind a big picture and the hanging space behind a door that blended with the wall decor so it took us a while to find it. We never did find a mirror though in the room apart from the bathroom which was a little awkward when straightening hair.
The bed in the room was super comfy and so were the pillows, i think its one of the comfiest bed i have slept in.

The staff were very welcoming and even leant us two adaptors because we forgot our own. They were always friendly and ready to help with directions or information.
The hotel has little ways of making their guests feel important. At night while we were out they turned down the beds and always left two delicious chocolate chip cookies to eat.
The hotel even has a CD and a DVD library and has CD/ipod players and DVD players in the rooms.
The location of the hotel is great for transport links and walking to the tourist places. Very near Times Square which is electric even during the day and a great place to people watch. There are alos plenty of irish pubs serving good food nearby.

All in all i would definately recommend this hotel and stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing road if you want a window with a view, may be more noisy though.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol C

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Location is excellent. Between Times Square and 5th Avenue.
We stayed in a very small room, but bathroom was good.
Wi-fi worked pretty well inside the room.
Staff is as polite and helpful as described here by others reviewers

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danielppa
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I don't get excited when I get a "good deal" on a hotel, because sometimes, upon arrival you realize the deal wasn't all that great. I get excited by value...an excellent experience for a fair price. It's hard to find value hotels especially when you are a family of 5 which in NYC usually means getting 2 rooms. But I stumbled upon reviews of the City Club in NYC and they sounded really great. I am extra picky about cleanliness especially when making a decision where my little children will sleep for the night! I saw reviews were good (re clean rooms) and I also ran a check on bedbug registry- all clear! The price was right (about $487 for deluxe double double)- so we booked it and kept our fingers crossed.
Upon arrival I was a bit worried by the appearance of the lobby. But I had read a review about this so I kept the faith. My husband however, raised an eyebrow like "really, you sure?". A few minutes later though I was pleasantly surprised when we got to the room and saw that it was clean, nicely decorated, and a decent size for our family of 5 (2 adults and kids ages 4 through 8).
The location was perfect- walking distance to Rockafeller Center and a short taxi ride to the "touristy" spots we had planned to visit this trip.
The comfort and cleanliness of the room was great. My only complaint is that I had a tough time sleeping because of street noise but the rest of my family peacefully slumbered through the night- so maybe it was just me?
Anyway- I felt this hotel was a real value and would recommend it to any families wanting to visit NYC and not sacrifice their kids college money;)

One disclaimer....if the hotel were to raise the rates it would change my perception. Let me be clear- this is not The Ritz or Four Seasons. It is a very charming, clean hotel for a good price for a family of 5. I would stay there again. I will tell my friends about it. But if their prices started to creep up to Ritz/Four Seasons levels
than my review might sound a little different.

Hopefully the prices stay where they are because I feel like I found a hotel that makes the city accessible to my family without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank MarthaNewJersey
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The City Club hotel is an excellent place to call home if you’re visiting NY. The front desk service was incredibly friendly and quick. I called down for toothpaste one morning and I had it at my doorstep moments later. The rooms are elegant, chic, and beaming with old world charm. The bathroom was outfitted beautifully, and the bath robes and C.O. Bigelow products are a really nice touch. Location of the hotel is right in the heart of Midtown, so you’ll have quite a bit of traffic getting there, but once you’re there, everything is just steps away. The free internet is a great feature, and my room on the 5th floor had a killer view of 44th Avenue. The windows actually opened the whole way, so you could stick your head out and get a great look around! Bedding is very comfy and I slept soundly each night. You do get some street noise in the room as the windows are an older style pane glass.

I did not get a chance to experience any food (other than the delicious cookies served at turn-down), so I cannot comment on the restaurant. It did look like a very lively place in the evenings with folks enjoying themselves.

The value for all these services was incredibly good too. I've stayed closer to Times Square for more money, and a less pleasant experience. City Club Hotel fired on all cylinders and for less money!

I would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 44th Street if you want a great view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dante P
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel but quickly transferred to the Westin after 3 nights. The City Club was more expensive, had a tiny lobby, rooms were small, and had no view. The hotel is walkable to Times Square but there are better options in the immediate area. My room seemed a little old and stale. For example the closer looked old and run down. Also, the bathroom shower had a holes in the privacy screen which I had to cover with towels.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank TexasCane
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent 5 nights at The City Club Hotel in New York City in mid- March, 2013.The lobby is tiny and graced by a huge piece of art. Of course most of us don't need a huge lobby, and the really outstanding thing in he lobby is the personnel behind the desk, as well as the doorman/bellman and any other staff we encountered. They make all of the amenities just that much more special. They were very friendly, helpful, and efficient and a credit to their organization. Just behind the lobby and to the left is an attached restaurant. Marvelous French inspired food, and again, wonderful service and friendly faces. The decor is stunning and yet quietly so. If we had somehow had to eat every meal there we would not have been shortchanged! Everything-breakfast, appetizers, wine, entrees, desserts, service-fantastic! Upon getting familiar with our room it became evident that the decor and art in the lobby, some of the hallways, the restaurant, and the rooms was subtle in its coordination. Had it not been it would have been fine, but what it said to me is that the City Club Hotel PAYS ATTENTION TO DETAIL. And that is very comforting and helpful when you are away from home. The location is also tops. We were about 1 1/2 blocks from Times Square one way, and about the same distance in the opposite direction from 5th Avenue. And the theaters were all around us! We even saw Tom Hanks leaving "Lucky Guy" on our way back from "Phantom"! The subway stations were all around us, and one can walk to Saks, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's, Grand Central Station, etc. I have stayed at Ritz Carlton's, The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island (in the room/suite named after and furnished by President and Mrs. Ford), Pinehurst (NC), The Grove Park Inn,(NC) etc. and many hotels internationally. While not historic nor as large, or as well known, the essence and the experience is much the same. We HIGHLY recommend the City Club Hotel! And on any return visits to NYC, we will absolutely NOT look anywhere else, and look forward to staying there again. The room was also quiet as was the whole hotel, and very comfortable.l.Oh,I almost forgot the delicious chocolate chip cookies in the room each night! Overall just a great experience!
Thanks to all,
Betsy and Ray Williams,
Lenoir, NC

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Betsy W
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Everything about this hotel stay was perfect. The staff were amazingly polite and tried to help out as best they could even though I was having a bad day. They were really great. The room was spotless and well decorated. Everything about the stay worked out great

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business