“Great Location, Just What I needed”
Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
Ranked #300 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Needed a last minute hotel in midtown for a business trip. The City Club was a terrific experience.

Helpful Staff, Free in room wi-fi, good sized clean room with plenty of light.

...and the cookie before bed was a welcoming touch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for City Club Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I decided to use my new Tripadvisor app fort a b'day weekend in NYC. Pulled off West Side Highwy at 96th street and began search. My thinking was that I would book something with last minute prices but now nothing was coming up in the Upper West Side which is where we wanted to be. Found nice price at City Club totally unknown to me and I've been in NYC and envirions since 1996. A call to the hotel I learned that the quoted price on my iPhone would only work if I could book it over the iPhone but it would not work. More frustration and my wife and I now getting hungry. I asked if I could book it on the phone with him and after a wait, he agreed but that the room advertised was a 'petite suit' and when I asked could two people use it he was reluctant to agree. Then he said if I booked it now with him he would take that rate and give us an upgrade. Now that's a real 'pig-in-a-poke' situation but I decided to trust him and booked the room for two nights to celebrate my b'day weekend. The hotel was in the East Theater District. The drive was a nightmare but we got there with almost all our wits but hungry and angry at all the traffic snarls and totally exhausted. Now we had to hope and pray the room was at least a haven. Phillip was at front desk and very pleasant so we did the biz and madame went up to the room while I took the car across the street for fifty-percent off parking rate.
Then I made my way up to the room and knew I was going to be greeted either by a crazy crying woman or a happy woman. Fifty-fifty. The room was MAGNIFICENT...Stunning Japanese motif, black marble bathroom from the movies, great water pressure. No view but who cared. All the amenities including cookies by the deco nightstand and an incredible mini-bar hidden behind a huge Japanese painting. Needless to say Phillip got a nice tip and we were home for two glorious and very quiet days after much celebrating. Never forget this place and plan to go again next time New York City calls. This place is literally hidden. There is a small door on north side of 44th street between The Algonquin and the Iroquois hotels. Used to be a private Club in the 20's I think. Go, enjoy, ask for Phillip then step into Manhattan the way it was meant to be for night-life. Jimmy's bar towards Broadway is not to be missed. Thank you Tripadvisor app. Thank you Phillip. Thank you City Club.

Room Tip: Rooms off street might be quieter but I don't know as our room was warm and dark and quiet. I th...
2  Thank purkasz
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel was a small, modern boutique in a good location in NYC. Our room was on the smaller side, but that's expected in NYC. It was decently priced. The bathroom was larger, and full of mirrors. The bed was comfortable and there was a balcony, a good-sized balcony. There wasn't much of a view, but it was spacious. The lobby was small, but interesting. The staff was friendly, but at one point we felt that there wasn't enough people to help out at the front desk. The restaurant in the hotel was hip. We had dessert and a drink there. If you want a comfortable room at a good rate, this is the place to go.

1  Thank Megan M
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend.small clean hotel.We had horrendous problems with the toilet breaking.A maintenance man came to plunge it.We were assured the problem was resolved,but it wasn't,t.We had to use the lobby toilet which was down the hall.On the last night,we were moved to another room.Too little too late.
We will certainly never stay there again.
Otherwise the room was nice,but small.View of a brick wall,but I guess that is the norm for New York.

Room Tip: Ask whether the toilet works! test it (flush) before you accept it
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MAOSuide
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We recently had a great stay @ CC and just wanted to say a BIG thank you to ALL the staff who made our visit to NYC a great success.

John & I work in luxury hospitality & the service industry and we are both privileged to travel the globe a lot, (some for work but mostly for play) and every so often we have the pleasure of coming across a property that just does everything 'the right way'.

At CC the staff were always friendly & smiling, the guest areas were always clean & smelled great, our room was comfortable with thoughtful amenities & well placed gestures that made us feel very happy & content to spend our time with you. The end of our city break came too quickly and we were quite sad to leave but more importantly, we are excited and look forward to returning to CC.

John & Shannon Gaunt

1  Thank ShannG
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Didn´t like the room because we haven´t got a view to the street , just to a brickwall. You couldn´t say if it was day or night. The room was ok. Like the bed and bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Susanne L
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Location, location, location plus the room & bathroom were spacious and very-very comfortable, great mini-bar options and the zagat guide in the room was a great help too...and the turn-down service comes with an addictive surprise!

At CC the staff were always friendly & smiling, the guest areas were always clean & smelled great, our room was comfortable with thoughtful amenities & well placed gestures that made us feel very happy & content to spend our time in-house. The end of our city break came too quickly and we were quite sad to leave but more importantly, we are excited and look forward to returning to CC.

On the (-) : There is not a huge amount of closet space and there was no invitation from the duty manager or reception staff to visit the bar/restaurant for a drink/coffee.

Room Tip: Request a city view and I have heard that the petite rooms are very small but comfy enough for a 1-n...
1  Thank JohnGaunt