“Weekend at the Ritz”

Ranked #32 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Fort Myers, Florida
“Weekend at the Ritz”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I was not exactly impressed by this Ritz. I've been to several and the quality and service seemed to be below what I had experienced at other Ritz Carlton's. I'm sure the next time I'm in New York I will try some place else. However, Central Park is a nice location and I did have good views from my room.

Stayed April 2013
Patrick R, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Ann L,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my deepest apology for your unpleasant experience. I regret that you were left with a completely negative impression and please know that regaining your trust and faith in our hotel is very important to us. We certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. If you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at this number (212)- 521 6050. I look forward to hearing from you.

Area Vice President/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Woodbridge, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Just a short stop over for work, before I head back to snow covered Ontario. Not to say the weather is any better here, though when your in another city you just don't notice the cold! Anyways on to the hotel. Great place! Classy and "ritzy". Located over looking the best park in the world, makes waking up to a beautiful view! The room was nice. The concierge is very helpful, even though I have been to this city so many times always something to learn! The food was very nice. Though we only ate breakfast a few times. Dinners were out and about...but fantastic! Shopping near by... ;) if you have time to spare. Lovely place. Will return to NYC - but to be honest this place is good but not a favourite! ....now back to my cold city before traveling south with my kiddies! I love NY

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Patrick R, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear JoyofTravellin,

I do appreciate you taking the time to forward your comments and pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable visit during your visit. We strive to be your “home away from home” when traveling and hope to welcome you back again soon. At your convenience, I would be grateful for your feedback how to make our property your favorite destination in NYC. I may be reached directly at this number (212)- 521 6050.

Area Vice President/General Manager
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked to stay for 10 nights from 27th December and were so looking forward to a wonderful vacation in what we thought was one of the best hotels in New York. Bad weather in the Uk meant our flights were cancelled so we arrived a day late. Our travel agent had made all the arrangements for us and the RC was advised. When we arrived the front desk said that they had cancelled our whole booking and were treating us as "no shows"!!!. They eventually found us a room but it was dreadful. the view was awful - see attached photo and was right next to the elevator and every time it went up and down the room vibrated.
the next morning we asked to see the Duty Manager and he listened and said we would be moved to a better room and to leave our things and he would call us at 2pm. The call didn't materialise and we waited until 3.30. We were shown 2 rooms which were miles better with a view of Central Park.
This room had issues though and the toilet was broken and kept overfilling to the point one day it spilt out all over the bathroom floor, with effluent everywhere. We had to call on 4 different occasions to ask for the loo to be unblocked and no one seemed to actually fix the problem.
We also had issues with one of the staff in the club lounge, called Kelly. I asked her for a decaf coffee one morning and I got an eye roll and a huff. The food presentations were not replenished so if you arrived shortly afterwards there was just scraps for you to eat.. I did mention this and was told it was a busy time of year...
there are some good points... If the Management team had not responded positively to our complaints we would have rated this hotel and stay as terrible. The senior staff did try and resolve our issues but added together we had quite a few.
Gabrielle in the Club lounge was very professional and efficient and it was a much better place when she was on duty.
Lazar is a star, a true New Yorker who looks after his guests very well.
The Duty Managers including Samuel did their best. We eventually have been refunded for the first night by the hotel. which was good of them.
The location is fantastic... maybe it was the time of year that was a problem, but this is nothing like we are used to with the Ritz Carlton chain of hotels... our stay the last time we were in New York at The Pierre was far superior.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a Central Park view room. Make sure you are not next to the elevator as it is ver...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue B
Dear Sue B,

We truly appreciate that time you have taken to share review of your recent experience at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park. We sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations and it is truly disheartening to hear that your stay was anything less than a memorable experience. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. If you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at this number (212)- 521 6050. I look forward to hearing from you.

Area Vice President & General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2014

A luxury hotel can often curtail you from experiencing the local culture; I've certainly experienced this at many hotels. This Ritz Carlton however, provides luxury and immerses you with the local culture. Like what many neighbors of the Ritz Carlton experience, I felt like I was returning to a luxury residence building. You enter effortlessly past bellman that remember you, and into what feels more like a private foyer rather than a "lobby." From there you can be up to your room in no-time given elevators that you rarely have to wait on and our rooms proximity to the elevator - which is what I loved given my 35pound dog traveled with me.

The "Parkview Guestroom" we had on the 6th floor was beautifully decorated and had unforgettable views into the park. Since it was winter, we were able to look right into the park - specifically viewing a sanctuary and large pond. The room was also very well laid out, and even with a rollaway bed it felt spacious.

A spa treatment at the onsite LaPrairie Spa was very private and relaxing. Auden Bistro & the Star Lounge feature classic menus with discrete service. Espressos ordered through Room Service arrived quickly and hot. And the complimentary coffee and tea in the bar was appreciated.

The Ritz Carlton certainly extends their service and amenities to pets as well. My dog was treated like a prince! He was given several welcome amenities and genuinely recognized by the staff each time he passed through the lobby.

The purpose of this stay was to celebrate my mom's birthday with my parents. They recognized the celebration and provided a unique amenity for my mom - a large silver frame with the Ritz Carlton logo! I even really enjoyed the location, with a great espresso bar around the corner, a very casual Italian restaurant recommended by the concierge, and of course the park.

Some staff outshines others, there is a faint sound of street noise from the 6th floor, and there's the smell of horses when in front of the property - but none of this takes away from the hotel's well deserving status of being a Forbes 5 Star & AAA 5 Diamond property. I will return.

Room Tip: Don't forget to bring you dog!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Traveler_424
Warwick
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

This is a quintessential Ritz Cartlon, doing what they do best, helpful and courteous staff, elegant rooms and good food.
But .... The only twin bedded rooms in the hotel are hidden away at the far reaches of the end of the world ( well not quite !)

There is no such thing as a twin bedded room with a view .. Unless you count a fire escape and/or brick wall. Come on RC group you can do so much better than this.

I, like many on a NYC trip, was on a 'girls' trip so did not want a double room or a double room with a cot bed ( as neither of us is 5) PLEASE consider allocating some twin rooms to better locations in the Hotel .

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Me1163
NYC
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Rarely have we stayed at a hotel that is impressive on every level as The Ritz-Carton NY, Central Park is truly exceptional. The staff are all efficient and friendly and seem genuinely happy to do their job. The concierge lounge on the 2nd floor really went out of their way several times to assist us and make us feel at home. We had a deluxe room with a view of Central Park, which was spacious and cheaper than the suite. It's definitely worth paying for access to the club lounge. The food and service in the lounge is fabulous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bernard H
va
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I took my daughter to New York for the first time and stayed at the Ritz. We had a wonderful stay. The rooms are beautiful and have a warm feeling. The staff at the Ritz really make the experience. They are so nice and helpful. We went to a play and came back to a copy of the play soundtrack. This was a really nice touch. I would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013