“Ritz Central park - Met Expectations”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #35 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed 3 nights for a business trip in early December. While certainly a top hotel in town with a great location, considering the room price, I can only give an average rating. Nothing about the hotel seemed exceptional, other than perhaps the bathroom facilities in our room. The room itself was small, comfortable and well appointed, but with minimal closet space. I would rate the condition of the room as above average. The bathroom seemed more recently updated than the room itself and was quite nice. Service was fine, but again not any better than many of the midtown hotels I have stayed in. All in all a very nice hotel at the south end of Central Park, but next time I will save a few bucks and walk a couple extra blocks.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,589)

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was, by far, the greatest hotel experience I've ever had. Just across the street from Central Park in NYC, this hotel boasts not only the perfect location in all the city, but stellar amenities in the most hospitable environment. I stayed here a few years ago during the week of Thanksgiving, and was completely blown away by everything. We stayed in adjoining suites on the 5th floor with corner views of the park. Our room came stocked with everything one needs on vacation, including a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label and dried fruits put out daily. It was a completely lavish experience and one I will cherish forever. We dined downstairs for Thanksgiving dinner, which of course was a bit of a disaster since the place was obviously overbooked, however the foods was gourmet and delicious, and the service was a bit slow but kind. There was nothing better than enjoying a glass of Prosecco in the lounge area just inside through the foyer. Anyone is welcome to dine and drink in this space, which made for a lively atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Beautiful hotel, fabulous rooms and the best location. We enjoyed a huge suite that was just great. Beautiful furniture, great bedding and quiet. Service in the bar and restaurant was a bit slow but hey--it's NY. Overall--the Ritz always delivers.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the ritz Central Park this past December. The staff was always polite, attentive, and 'smiling'. I had the best Manhatten I've had in a long time. The location is such that we could walk everywhere and the holidays were beautiful!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is by far the best hotel in nyc! Have stayed there 2 times this year and love it! Staff is fabulous service is fabulous ! Can't wait to go back! Great location .. I have stayed at other hotels in the city and this has been the best! My children loved it as well! Location is great too!

Room Tip: All rooms are great! On all floors .
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Liana B
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed for three nights whilst attending concerts at Carnegie Hall and opera at the Met.

Firstly, the hotel location is great, especially for the purpose of my trip. Everything I needed was within walking distance, although saying that I've walked from Central Park to Battery and back before!

The check-in was very functional, not warm and certainly not welcoming. As a Marriott Platinum Elite member I expected better (and have received much better at other Ritz-Carlton hotels), especially when paying over $1000 per night. Unfortunately, check-out wasn't much better - I wasn't even asked if I had enjoyed my stay! Overall, I did not find the staff at all helpful or friendly, and certainly not up to level of service I have found elsewhere in New York. Reading other reviews, maybe I just experienced the staff on a bad weekend.

The room was lovely, looking right down Central Park, well furnished, clean and quiet, although the mattress was too soft for my liking - one night I actually slept in one of the chairs as I found it more comfortable. However, for over $1000 per night, the room (not a suite) was small, although I was almost certainly paying more because of the view. I don't normally use minibars in hotel rooms, but the Ritz-Carlton branded candies and snacks looked too good not to try and they certainly lived up to expectations.

I only had breakfast in the hotel once and didn't think it to be very special and overpriced for what I ordered. The other mornings, I just went out and found a lovely little coffee shop nearby.

This probably one of those hotels you have to stay at once, and for me once was certainly enough.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Forthill81
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We sat in the lounge for a few cocktails and some snacks. We had meatballs, hummus, and caviar. The food and service was outstanding. We told them it was my birthday and they surprised me weith hot molten chocolate cake, ice cream and a song!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends