“This is an amazing hotel.”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #36 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is an amazing hotel! The staff are very nice from the second you walk in, and the location is perfect because the rooms look on Central Park. I am from the countryside and I love New York. I would recommend this hotel to everybody I know!

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I live in NYC and wanted to surprise my wife with a nice night out at the Ritz so I asked my agent to set something up last minute . I emailed her at 8am and by 12:30 pm I'm checking in at the Ritz. She had booked a city view room with club access and received an upgrade to a park view which was great! The room was nice with great views of the park and Central Park south. I want to thank the staff for everything they did for us from Orlando at the front desk , Kerry the concierge , and everyone else who went above and beyond to assure that our stay was what we come to expect from The Ritz! The club lounge is a great escape from the hustle and bustle of the busy NYC streets and is stocked with food and drinks through out the day. We had breakfast at the hotel although expensive but well worth it! Room service was on time and on the money, food tasted great and the waiter set everything up for us so we can dine in peace. Everyone working at this hotel provided us with excellent service and can't wait to come back! Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Knicpo
Reviewed July 27, 2013

wow wow wow!!! Beautiful traditional hotel in a prime location overlooking Central Park and close to Broadway and Times square. Fantastic service with very friendly courteous and helpful staff - made every guest feel very special - absolutely loved it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed as a family, 2 adults 2 children for about 3 nights in a 2 room suite. I thought for the money it was a good value. These suites were definitely on the larger size for NYC. We have stayed at the Penninsula and the St Regis and those suites are definitely smaller than the Ritz Carlton. You are literally across from the Park too and a block or so away from Bergdorf's and shopping, so the location is excellent. I think NYC has the best concierge services in the world and the concierge personnel here are all excellent, knowledgeable, friendly and not out to push their own agenda. Our only gripe would be housekeeping. It seems housekeeping standards in general in NYC are poor compared to other international cities. We just flew in from Stockhlom where it is so clean so the hotel's cleanliness really suffered in comparison. I wore white socks which were gray by the end of the evening, plus the cleaning products they do use smell unpleasant. The bathrooms are beautifully designed, lots of statuary Carrera marble. Room service was just OK.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pkmiles
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights with family during a business trip. Rooms and services in Ritz were always top notch. Because this hotel is located by the Central Park, we were expecting a good view of the Central Park and the city; however, we only got ugly views.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Alex L
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the Ritz earlier this month. It was our first stay at the property. Upon our return, I went back and looked at all of the glowing reviews on tripadvisor, and I’m a bit perplexed. It’s not as if our stay was terrible, but we are frequent guests at Ritz Carlton properties, and we generally stay on the Club Level. In the last twelve months, we have had club level stays at the downtown Atlanta, New Orleans and Amelia Island (twice) properties. Perhaps, many of these reviewers who were so impressed by the Central Park hotel simply haven’t experienced how great other properties are? Frankly, for us, this was the lowest level of service and worst quality of food we have ever encountered at a Ritz Carlton. And for anyone who thinks that perhaps I just don’t understand New York, please note that in addition to being a frequent visitor, I lived in Manhattan for many years.
Before getting to the issues we had with the club level, do note that when booking a room, if you don’t request and pay for a view, you may be looking at the backs of buildings or even at an air shaft. I don’t think the hotel is misleading about this, but some of the possible views are pretty terrible, so you may find that it is worth the extra money in the grand scheme of things.
Beyond issues of views, the room was a fairly standard Ritz Carlton room. For those who have remarked that the rooms are small, I did not find this to be the case at all. In fact, I found ours to be in line as far as size with other Ritz Carlton properties. The bathroom was nice with a separate soaking tub and shower. Storage options are a bit odd and for some reason, there was no iron. Also, the elevators are tiny and a bit slow.
The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful.
Now with regard to the club lounge, overall, at all just seemed sloppy and nowhere near the standards we have encountered previously. With the exception of one club lounge staff member, no one ever called me by name and no one ever thanked me for being a frequent customer (Marriott Gold Status). One other staff member was super friendly and helpful, but again, she never bothered to learn or use our names. We stayed three nights. This may seem petty, but for us, it is part of the experience that we have come to expect over the years.
Concierge members of the club lounge staff (most notably the women) seem to think they are “above it all” and “better than the other staff members”. I have never encountered another club lounge where they sit at their computer constantly. We were lucky to get a hello on entrance or some other greeting on departure. Generally, at other properties, the concierge staff members work to refill drinks and engage the guests just like the rest of the staff. There was there was one such employee who did this (the same one who bothered to learn our names). The others were completely unhelpful and unfriendly.
The staff was so disengaged that they did not notice all of the people who were “sneaking” into the lounge. Several families openly spoke of how they had paid for one club level room but used their keys to allow their traveling companions (aka their teen aged children) to use the lounge. Now, I realize that “guests” to the club lounge are possible, for fee, and I was not privy to every discussion, so perhaps these were “paid” guests, but I don’t believe that was the case as the guests openly referred to what a great “deal” they were getting pulling this off. Again, at other properties, the staff is engaged enough to have some clue as to who is supposed to be in the lounge.
Food offerings were significantly less generous and not as well prepared compared to other properties. For example, typically, at least, two hot dishes are offered at breakfast. There were none at the Central Park Ritz. Also at breakfast, the smoked salmon (my personal favorite) was poorly sliced, there were no capers and the onions were way too thick. Champagne was not regularly set out in the afternoons. The afternoon crackers were just out of a box rather than the beautiful sesame seed covered options seen elsewhere. No one ever refilled our glasses or asked if we wanted another beverage. On a more subjective level, I was just not impressed, again compared the other club lounges at other properties that I have visited in the last 12 months, the food was not as good and there was less of it.
In addition to the quality and quantity issues, food items at the presentations were not labeled. At some presentations, there were no labels at all. At others, there were a few. Typically, again at other properties, a menu is set out for each food presentation each day and separate labels are offered for each tray so that you know what is being offered in general and specifically what you are eating. This was not done leaving us to hunt down staff to ask, for example, if the meat in the noodles was chicken or pork.
The food (particularly the fish dishes) started to spoil on the longer presentations. We were visiting on a very hot weekend. The club lounge was quite warm in large part due to the fact that they apparently have no cooling vent in the service area. Accordingly, the door to that space is always open (and the large window fan the staff uses to try to keep comfortable is audible). The primary food presentation station is in the middle of the room, and nothing is done to keep everything at temperature. This may not be a consistent problem, but in any case, several of the fish items got terribly pungent after two plus hours in the warmth of the room.
Club Lounge hours and specifically, the hours for the food presentations are not as stated. We witnessed several cases in which the items were set out late and/or picked up early. All printed materials indicate that the lounge is open until 11PM. In other markets, this means that the presentations are continued until that time. Here, this means that the staff starts removing the food at wine at 9:50PM and that the place is set up for breakfast by 11PM. Not only that, one staff member refused to serve us because he had “locked everything up.” This happened to us when we came to the lounge at 10:45 PM. All food and drinks were removed, and the staff member would not retrieve an after dinner drink for us. As a general comment, in my experience, at other properties, the offered items are replenished throughout the service period such that, if one were to arrive 20 minutes before the end of service, all items would still be available. Here, once they ran out, the item was not restocked even an hour or more before the end of that presentation.
In all, we were very disappointed with our stay. I suppose that I had assumed (wrongly apparently) that the Tiers into which the hotels are placed were indicative of something other than how many Marriott points are required for a stay. Clearly, being in tier 5 is an indication of nothing other than being in an expensive market. We didn’t hate this, but it could and should have been so much better. As a final note, we had a great rate for this room. I really would have been disappointed if we had paid in excess of $1000 per night as some people did.

Room Tip: Go ahead and pay for a view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LydiaClaire
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Staying at the Ritz Carlton anywhere is luxurious but Ritz-Carlton Central Park was exceptional because of its great service and extra helpful staff. The Ritz-Cartlon decor is classic so if you are looking for modern this might not be the place for you. The location is great because Central Park is just across the street and on leaving the hotel you are greeted with the beautiful horses and carriages of the park. The rooms facing the park offer a great view of New York so if you book ahead you can secure them.

All in all a pleasant stay, great service and attention to detail.

Room Tip: Book ahead to secure rooms facing Central Park for amazing views of NYC.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business