“Exceptional luxury”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #36 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Staying at the Ritz Carlton anywhere is luxurious but Ritz-Carlton Central Park was exceptional because of its great service and extra helpful staff. The Ritz-Cartlon decor is classic so if you are looking for modern this might not be the place for you. The location is great because Central Park is just across the street and on leaving the hotel you are greeted with the beautiful horses and carriages of the park. The rooms facing the park offer a great view of New York so if you book ahead you can secure them.

All in all a pleasant stay, great service and attention to detail.

Room Tip: Book ahead to secure rooms facing Central Park for amazing views of NYC.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,564)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I surprised my boyfriend with a stay at the Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park. Once booking, I received a standard email from the Guest Relations Supervisor, Yoneidy, asking if I wanted to do anything special to personalize the stay. Of course, I chose mimosas upon arrival, etc. We arrived at the hotel, well before the 3pm check-in, so we went to the bar for our mimosas. Yoneidy, actually found us at the bar and introduced herself. I was stunned she was real, even though we had traded a couple of emails back and forth finalizing our stay. I had requested an early check-in, but they weren't able to accommodate. That was fine as we headed to Central Park to people watch and have lunch. Around 3pm we returned and our room was under going final inspection and the front desk would call when it was ready. About 30 mins later we were telling the hotel bartender our story and she was surprised we were still waiting. I thought nothing of it when she left the bar for a moment, and was happily surprised when she returned with our keys in hand and a complimentary glass of champagne.
Our room faced Central Park, it was very large with a seating area, beautiful bath and rose petals covering the bed. Classical music was playing in the background and we fell in love. Even though our check in process was a little off, it didn't matter, the staff was amazing, the room was clean, the attention to detail was noticeable and much appreciated. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again. Aside: The last time I was in New York I stayed at the St. Regis, which is a fantastic hotel, but the staff here at the Ritz is enough to make us come back.

Room Tip: Request a view of Central Park.
1  Thank jaybirdc16
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Overall a great hotel that excels in service, as you should expect from a Ritz and the price. I was fortunate to be able to use Marriott points for this stay, although it only got us a "standard" room with a "courtyard" view. We had a king bed, and a roll-away bed for our daughter. The room is fairly large and well appointed, by NYC standards, and the bathroom is very large with a separate toilet room. The lack of any view was offset by the all-night quite, which was very nice after long days in the loud and congested city. The concierge service was excellent and very attentive. My chief complaint is the lack of common spaces: the lobby and the lounge are small, and our rate did not give us access to the 2nd floor lounge. Great convenient location across from central park. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

From the moment my mother and I arrived to meet my sister at the hotel we were treated like royalty. We were whisked to the Club Lounge and immediately offered treats and drinks. We had connecting rooms with more than enough space for the three of us to relax. We didn't want to leave the hotel but managed to explore New York with a lovely tour guide. The horsey smell was obvious only at the entrance to the hotel, but it didn't bother me as I love horses. Each morning about 6am we explored Central Park and enjoyed our coffee thanks to the lovely pot waiting at the front door. I will be back with the family!

Room Tip: I don't think it really matters, but if you can afford it get a Central Park View.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were originally staying at the Hotel Giraffe in mid-town, but couldn't get enough rooms for the whole family there on one of the nights so decided to move to the Ritz near Central Park where we could get 3 rooms.

Ok, so we didn't reserve well in advance, only a few night in advance, but we got 3 crummy rooms looking at walls of other buildings. It felt like a dungeon and we never opened the curtains. We paid over US$600/night per room. Each room had 2 beds and were pretty standard. The bed quality was good and the bathrooms were large in each room. The ceilings felt low in both the rooms and the hallways. I guess that's what you get for staying at an old hotel.

Our first room was ok, but the modem was broken and we had to be changed to another room as we can't go without internet. The second room was different set-up and was a smaller room. Unlucky us.

The service was fine. Standard 5 star hotel type service.

The lounge is good. I think we paid $100-200 per night to use the lounge service. They have food and drinks all day long and also a concierge. If you plan on staying in the hotel, this would be handy.

Wouldn't recommend, but glad they had 3 open rooms that night!

Room Tip: Perhaps the more expensive rooms have a view of the park. Our room which was between US$600-700/nig...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Dan E
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day trip to NY and had yet another excellent trip at the Ritz Carlton

As always the service was outstanding nothing is too much trouble. From the maids to the front desk every one greets you with a smile and a happy to help attitude

Rooms were excellent, spotlessly clean, bright and large (which makes a change as most of the other hotels I have stayed in NY have been small and dark)

Used the restaurant for the first time and can highly recommend it

Worth every penny

Reviewed June 28, 2013

From the first contact with the porter to the late night in room supper, we found the personnel, the service, the decor and the over all experience to be exceptional. A view of the park provides a welcome respite from the concrete valleys. The bar here is world class. Norman is famous, and for good reason.

Room Tip: Get a park view