“The Only Place Stay in NY”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #36 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 29, 2008

My husband took me to New York for my 40th BDay and we stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Central Park. This hotel is hands down the best hotel we have ever encountered. We are well traveled and stay in 4 or 5 star hotels consistently. We have stayed at many Ritz Carltons, but the Central Park location is simply outstanding. The hotel limo picked us up from the airport and upon arrival we were greeted by name and I was wished Happy Birthday from most of the staff. They upgraded our room, had complimentary champagne sent each evening, rose petals covered the bed and champagne and desserts at the restaurants we dined (compliments of the Ritz). The spa is to die for and I was given a bag full of products to take home. There was never a time that we were not greeted by name from the staff and throughout the weekend I was consistently asked if I was enjoying my birthday stay. The room was exceptionally clean and tended to and trust me that coming from me says a lot. The BLT market is fabulous and the hotel bar is fun and a good people watching place. I never wanted to leave and actually teared up when we did. Thanks to the Ritz Carlton Central Park, I was able to enjoy my 40th and feel like royalty. The pampering is never ending. We are already planning a trip back with our entire family and even though it is pricy, we would never stay anywhere else in NY. Go and enjoy!

Stayed: January 2008
6  Thank Adrienne L
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park

Reviewed January 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for 4 days in December. It was a great location for shopping ! The hotel was very busy which meant the lobby bar was always full to bursting and it was difficult to get a table. We had a suite and it was lovely with an incredibly comfy bed and a big, well fitted bathroom. The spa was slightly disappointing - my massage was OK but the waiting area was very small and felt dated.
This is definitely a hotel where the location counts for a lot and it's probably best to just use the hotel for sleeping - it's not a place to spend time in its own right.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank NickiChalfontStPeter
Reviewed January 13, 2008

We stayed in December for a business/pleasure trip. We traveled with our 3 year old daughter. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful, especially with her. For example, front lobby staff would watch her while I got stroller, etc ready to get out the door.

The rooms do see a little dated for a Ritz, however it was very clean and the housekeeping service was great.

We stayed in a room that allowed club level access that had a lot of free perks. I highly recommend booking a room with this access. There was food, drinks (water, soda, wine, tea, etc) out all day. This was great with having our 3 year old along. Very easy to stop in for snack on our way out or way in. Each night was tapas with sushi, cavier, etc. Very high end. We normally eat out when in NYC, however since we had our 3 year old we ate the majority of our meals here.

The club access also has a conceirge. They were very helpful and knew our names from the first time we stopped in.

I also become sick during the trip and the hotel doctor was fantastic. His office is very close or he will make a house call if you are too sick to travel to him. Fortunately, I had an ear infection so it was easy to stop by his office.

We are planning on staying at the Ritz again this week and hope for the same wonderful, welcoming experience.

On a side note, we stayed at the Peninsula on our prior trip and while as impressive, I did not find the staff as welcoming and our bill was not correct. It took over an hour to fix and there was another couple at the counter with the same problem.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank charlestonpanic
Reviewed December 28, 2007

This was the most amazing hotel stay my husband and I could ever imagine. We stayed here using a Gracious Getaway certificate which includes an interior room (no view) and breakfast in the morning.

We arrived at the hotel right at 3:00 p.m. and Wenny told us that our room was available, but that they would like to upgrade us to a room overlooking Central Park, complimentary. We had to wait about 15 minutes, so she found us a place in the swanky hotel bar. We drank $19 glasses of pinot noir, and were happily surprised when the hotel paid for them!! The hotel bar was unbelievable, and the staff was better than we could have expected, even for the Ritz. These people know how to treat guests and were just amazing.

When we got up to our room on the 22nd floor, we had a breathtaking view of Central Park. The room was gorgeous. We took a bubble bath together in the oversized tub while listening to Tony Bennett Christmas, one of the cds available in the room.

The American Breakfast in the morning was delicious. The meal came rolled in on a table and we enjoyed breakfast overlooking Central Park.

This was a night to remember and I recommend this hotel above all others I've stayed in New York City.

Stayed: December 2007
10  Thank TravelingJess333
Reviewed December 11, 2007

We stayed at the Central Park Ritz-Carlton the week after Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time.

Check-in:
Unfortunately, they only had one person at the front desk at the time we checked in, so we had to wait several minutes for him to help us. But the check in process was extremely speedy.

Room:
We were given an "interior view" Superior Room, which is essentially a window that faces a brick wall. The room was pretty large, compared to other New York hotel rooms I've stayed in. The bathroom was especially spacious and had both a soaking tub and a shower. The bath products were Frederic Fekkai and the toilet even had its own room, which I loved. The bed was extremely comfortable. The only complaint I have about the room is that there was no iron or ironing board.

Staff:
The housekeeping staff were great! We never saw them, but they visit your room twice a day. Once in the morning for the usual cleaning, then once in the evening for turndown service, complete with chocolates on your pillow! The concierge staff was friendly, though extremely busy. When we went down in the morning, there were three of them all working at full capacity. The doormen are very helpful and anytime you leave the hotel, they tell you to have a wonderful day/night. The only staff that was not friendly was the waitstaff in the lounge bar. She was not very helpful to us when we were looking for a table.

Service:
Room service was prompt and efficient. The restaurant downstairs is pretty busy and they recommend you have reservations, even for breakfast. We had to use the business center once, but the business concierge was not there, so it was confusing as to how to use it when no one is present. But eventually someone helped us and we didn't get charged for the internet usage or printing.

Location:
It was lovely to walk out the door each morning and have Central Park right across the street, though the smell of the horses can be a bit overwhelming. There are two subway stops within one block, which made for easy access to any other part of town. It's a short walk to 5th Avenue, which made window shopping a breeze. You just need to plan ahead and leave with plenty of time if you are taking the subway to mid-town for a show.

Check-out:
Checking out was easy and painless and we were out the door quickly. The doorman was extremely helpful in getting us a cab to the train station.

Other:
I have heard that the Central Park Ritz has a complimentary Bentley that can be used to take you short distances, but the couple of times we wanted to use it, it was already booked. It is first come, first served.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wickidkid
Reviewed December 7, 2007

Once again, top notch! Well worth the money (and its a lot!). Ensure you get a room as high up as possible - stunning views at dawn when with European jetlag you lie awake staring out across the trees! Only draw back is hotel lacks a fine dining 'option' and as such no glam breakfast room either. But space is limited in NYC and this hotel, as far as luxury & location go, is top!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank Livingoutofasuitcase
Reviewed November 19, 2007

I've stayed at many different Ritz Carlton's now, and I gotta say that I'm most impressed w/ the level of service from their Central Park Staff. My parents who have been married for 35 yrs were celebrating their anniversary this past weekend, and several staff members went out of their way to say a nice word of congratulations to them. I thought that was classy. The club level staff is absolutely stellar, clean rooms, etc... Will definately stay again.

• Stayed: November 2007