“Excellent Location...Great Value....Pleasant Staff”

nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #337 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 2, 2010

The hotel is located in an excellent location being 5-10 minute walk from Times Square. Less than 5 minutes to Empire State Building, Macy's, Herald Square and a lot of shopping. Subway station within 2 minute walk.

We had booked a Non-Smoking Superior King Room with Fridge and Microwave. Upon check-in, front desk staff said our room was held, however, when we arrived in our room it was a Queen Bed with no fridge or microwave. Upon reporting this to the front desk staff she said "not all rooms have a fridge and microwave". They were able to move us to a Superior King Room with Fridge and Microwave as booked, however, it was on a smoking floor. Rooms were clean and modern and in pretty good condition.

Complimentary Breakfast of Cereal, Bagels, Toast, Fruit, Coffee and Juice was convenient. Be sure to get there early as the Breakfast Room gets crowded.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Specialist at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2010

Dear shamy08 ,
Thank you very much for your kind words! Our guests indeed love our location and enjoy our complimentary Continental breakfast made of a wide choice of healthy food. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when you arrived in your room. However, please note that we do our best to accomodate every request but requests are not guarantee. Nevertheless, we are happy to hear that we could move you to a better room with a fridge as you had requested. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you very soon again!
Myriam from Apple Core Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (2,818)

Reviewed September 27, 2010

BEWARE this hotel! i booked 13 nights at $152 (after AAA discount). upon checkout, they conveniently increased my nightly rate from $152 to $190 for the last three nights! this was not something i either saw or agreed to - obviously. and it was not a weekend rate hike or anything like that. they're slimy people - DON'T STAY THERE!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Specialist at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2010

Dear rickwriter,
Thank you for staying with us! We sincerely apologize if you experience any kind of inconvenience. However, after further investigation, we talked to our General Manager who confirmed that you had made your reservation through a website that was clearly stating the rates for each night (including the last three nights) and that you had also signed the registration card where the rates were stated. When you called our General Manager offered to send you a copy of the registration card but at that point you hung up on him. Nevertheless, we sincerely apologize if you feel like the rates were not accurate. Our rates did not increase during your stay as they were guaranteed when you booked your room and give us a valid credit card. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon!
Thank you!

Reviewed September 9, 2010

Great hotel. Nothing fancy, but clean and well managed. Close to metro, Empire State Building, Shake Shack, Flat Iron Building, Central Park, good restaurants. Would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I called the hotel's direct line at about 8pm looking to make a last-minute booking for a friend with small children who was arriving in New York City that same night in transit to another city. I was quoted a rate of $139+tax. I went over the terms twice with the receptionist and everything was made clear.

There was still a chance that my friend would be able to make a late-evening airline connection that would make the hotel stay unnecessary. The receptionist, a friendly-sounding young woman, said that the hotel had plenty of room that night and that although she was leaving soon, it would be no problem to wait a bit, I could call back or my friend could even just walk in.

I called back not fifteen minutes later, wanting to finalize the booking. A man had come on shift. He seemed to know about my earlier call, although I might have misunderstood him. He quoted me $155+tax for the same room, same configuration. I protested that I had been quoted $139 on the previous call, honest and fair square. He said “Yes, she can tell you anything she wants but that was then and now I am in charge here.” I said I wasn't very happy. Then he offered me $147+tax.

I said no and called the La Quinta across the street and got a room for $139+tax. The hotel business is tough, and I am used to bargaining and making quick commitments, but these tactics crossed the line as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ree472
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Specialist at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2010

Dear ree472,
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us and other travelers. After further investigation on the matter described in your review, it seems that you were quoted a price for one person during your first call. Children under 13 stay free of charge when sharing room with a parent. When you called the second time, you were probably asked for the age of the kid who was more than 13 years old, and as such we charged an additional $15. It explains the price discrepancy (one person at $139.99 + taxes or two persons at $154.99 + taxes). When you went to the La Quinta Manhattan, also part of Apple Core Hotels, the manager gave you a 5% discount on the rate for 2 persons, which comes to $147 + taxes. We hope it clarifies your concerns and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you!

Reviewed August 14, 2010

My wife and I spent three nights at NYMA. Perhaps due to late booking, the best rate we could get was the $185 AAA rate. The hotel is centrally located, literally in the shadow of the Empire State Building. We were on a road trip so we drove into Manhattan. The traffic was not as bad as Washington DC. I was expecting the worst. The hotel has a deal with a garage on the corner for a 24 hour rate of $26. Not bad for the location. Breakfast was always busy, but there was always a couple seats. There was toast, bagels, cereal, yogurt, donuts, and juice as well as coffee. We walked everywhere except for one trip down to the Battery. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed here four nights in blazing hot NYC and would definitely book it again. Very clean, nicely redone, decent size for NYC. Tucked into Korea Town, expect lots of people and vehicles on the street at all hours--but with no bother to you if you have the A/C going. Our room faced 32nd street with the Empire State Building towering over us and we rarely heard noise of any kind. We walked from Penn Station when we arrived and found the short walks to the two closest Subway lines made the location great for exploring the island. The staff was fine, though we're pretty low-maintenance anyway. The elevator was usually pretty quick, but the two elevators serviced a number of floors so you just have to be patient. The breakfast was bare bones but did the trick. Again, it's about expectations. (A bagel with cheese and something to drink gets me through 'til lunch.) Lots of Asian restaurants along the street. Easy access to shopping at Manhattan Mall down the street, Macy's on 34th, etc. We stayed in a King room and were promised a fridge, but that never materialized. But oh well. We were just glad for the A/C that got nice and cold. Bed was soft but not too soft for my finicky back. For the exit from NYC, we booked a car downstairs with the concierge. Cost us $40 or so, but was worth it for the convenience. If you're looking to spend about $150/night, stay here. We'd do it again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

For the money and location, you can't beat it. Plus, for at least the room I stayed in, the mattresses were MEMORY FOAM! I couldn't believe how well I slept. No street noise, no nonsense at the front desk, helpful bellhop and concierge, and GREAT PRICE! Would choose this hotel again and again if it stays the same way it is.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends