“An affordable, clean, safe and comfortable hotel in the middle of Manhattan...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel

nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #316 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Columbus, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I was apprehensive about staying in a hotel in Manhattan with such low rates ($109 per night + tax) but after reading the reviews and staying a night at the Red Roof Inn, I can say with no hesitation: STAY HERE!

Red Roof Inn is situated in the Koreatown area of Manhattan, which is close to just about everything. I felt very safe during my visit and definitely heard no noise from my thirteenth floor room. And what a room it was: for such a paltry sum (by New York City standards), I got a microwave, mini-fridge, flat screen tv, free high-speed wireless net, a continental breakfast, and the enjoyable iHome was included in the room. The shower pressure was awesome (we all have our 'particulars' and that's mine!) and the bathroom was well-appointed.

The service was great and the staff was helpful--even allowing me to check my baggage following my checkout, until I was ready to leave the city. My one very minor complaint would be that the elevators do take some time; it didn't bother me much, but some fast-paced travelers might find that frustrating.

A wonderful location + a steal of a price makes this a wonderful choice for your stay in New York City. The subway is just a block away, and there is a delicious Red Mango yogurt store nearby, which I would highly recommend. I hope to make it back someday to both the store and the Red Roof Inn!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I stayed at this hotel regularly for business trips. NO LONGER. I just discovered bed bugs when I stayed this month (July 2009). DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL - BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BizTraveler082
Hannover, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

The Red Roof Inn is situated in a perfect location in Manhattan. The hotel has spacious, very clean rooms. Staff is friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast is far from European standards, but at least there is a breakfast! This hotel is perfect for a city break and offers good value for money.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank Inamey
Plymouth, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

This was our first trip to NYC. We brought our kids, ages 9&11. The hotel was very clean and modern. The rooms were well appointed with modern furnishings and comfortable beds. Our room was on the 15th floor and had a very nice view to the south east. Location was very convenient to Subway and within walking distance to many sites such as the Empire State Building. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling on a budget. This hotel exceeded my expectations. Parking was available next street over for a discounted price of twenty-six dollars per 24 hours (good since parking is hard to find cheap in NYC!!). I felt very safe in the "Korea Town" neighborhood as well. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank AD-NH
applecorehotelsstaff, Myriam from Apple Core Hotels at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2009
Dear AD-NH:
We were happy to welcome you and your family at the Red Roof Inn Manhattan!
We love kids and we always try our best to make families feel comfortable and make it easy for parents to travel with kids. That’s why children under 13 don’t pay when staying with us. We also offer complimentary Continental breakfast everyday, so children can have a healthy breakfast in the morning! Both kids and adults alike love our iHomes (docking stations for iPods) and the Nintendo video games that we offer! We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you and your family very soon again!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Myself and my fiance (he was my boyfriend when we arrived in NY!) stayed here in January - I have only just got round to writing a review.

We booked the hotel when the exchange rate was at its best but even though the money went up it was still the cheapest hotel I could find in the location. The hotel was clean and the room fairly spacious, but then who goes to New York and spends all their time in the room?!

My only gripe was the heating. We stayed over the coldest New Year for something like 10 years and when the heater failed to work on several occasions I did get a little cross! But, maintenance were always prompt in coming to fix it and always did so with a smile.

The location is everything, right by the subway or a 15 min walk to Times Square. I felt safe walking around at night (even when my fiance left me to run back to the hotel to go to the toilet at 11pm!).

My advice would be if you can get this hotel at a good rate then do it. New York has become my favourite place in the world!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nichollsb01
Dear goodyb01:
Thank you for posting a review on us! We are happy to hear that you felt safe with us. Personal safety as well as that of your belongings is very important to us. That’s why we offer in-room safes free of charge and we have 24-hour security at the property. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you faced with the heater. However, as you pointed out, our maintenance staff is always happy to help our guests with any problem they face, very quickly and with a smile! Since New York is your favorite place in the world, we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you soon again!
Thank you!
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

Very good for its price. Clean and conveniently located.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FreqSurfer
Dear FreqSurfer:
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with other travelers! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you soon again!
Thank you!
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

I was all fatigues & jet lagged when i reached directly from a 16 hours flight from New delhi to New York. Trust me, the sight of the hotel was welcomming! I just crashed out in the most comfortable bed which reminded me of home!
The hotel has small comfortable rooms which were fully equipped with internet, mini bar & a great view. The best part of the hotel is the location! its bang in the middle of Manhattan with every big building & business center in walking distance.
I always stay in Red Roof. they have great deals on their website & if you are lucky you might even get the room for lass than $200! Best of luck.
All in all a great food with a great location

• Liked — The location which is in the middle of Manhattan
  • Disliked — Actually nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Secondcomming
applecorehotelsstaff, Apple Core Hotels at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2009
Dear Mountaineer01:
Thank you very much for your kind words! We ARE happy that our hotel felt like home to you. This is an amazing compliment as we all know that there is no place such as home!!!!
Thank you again!