“Great location, great price.”

nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #319 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
“Great location, great price.”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our second visit to this property. The location is perfect for exploring Manhattan. The price was extremely reasonable for a hotel room with a private bath. The rooms are not huge, but very functional. The best feature was the bed. It was one of the best beds I've ever slept on. The continental breakfast is a real bonus, especially for those who are travelling on a budget. Overall, this hotel has consistently exceeded our expectations when the price is considered. You could spend three times the price on a five-star hotel, but if you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to sleep, and don't need the trappings of a five-star hotel, this is the place.

1 Thank SoCalbr549

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Malden
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I only have 1 good thing to say about this hotel and it's the location, but there are other hotels on this street try one of those instead!!!! TRIP WAS FEB 16-FEB19 2013
The staff are rude and inconsiderate. I had issues from the time I went to check in. I called for an early check in, told I had one, got there was told my room was not ready to come back in an hour so took my daughter to lunch and went back an hour and a half later only to be told they were putting me in a smoking room when I booked a non-smoking room, then had to sit in the lobby for 30 minutes while they "found" me a room. There was apparently work being done in the room rght above me,which I was never told by the staff, I called to find out what was going on, told it was work on the roof the first time and it was going to stop right away, then an our later now 6pm told it was the room above us, and that they could move me the next day, I asked to speak the manager andwas told he would be there on Monday 9-5 and to call him then. I called the first thing on Monday then tl he mysteriously wasn't coming in and would be in on Tuesday. I spoke to him when I checked out on Tuesday his name is RAFEEQ [--], the most arragont rude person I have ever met, he was on the computer ignoring me while I spoke, when he finally made eye contact he would scream over everything I said, and not listen to anything, he should not be a manager, called not only myself and my child liars but his staff as well. I said I want to speak to who is above you all he said was write an email and file a complaint. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT A GREAT EXIERENCE WITH HELPFUL STAFF... LA QUINTA AND THE RADISSON ON THE SAME STREET CHECK THEM OUT FIRST!!! ANYONE WHO IS GOING TO YELL AT A CHILD AND CALL THEM A LIAR NEEDS TO BE FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Jennifer K
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Associate at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Jenn K,
Thank you for your review. When you first arrived your room type was not available yet and we apologize for this inconvenience. We try to get rooms ready as soon as possible, but we also make sure they are thoroughly cleaned. The noise above your first room was coming from work on the AC. The next day we switched you to another room and were given a late check out and 10% discount for the inconvenience. We did everything we could for your situation and tried to help you as much as possible. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you faced at our hotel.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Boulder Creek, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

just got back from a week in nyc. spent 7 nights at the nyma. this place can't be beat for value, location, helpful staff. i mean, $99 in manhattan? a block from a pretty major subway station. a few blocks from herald square (hello macy's!), and 5th avenue. a 10 minute walk to madison square garden. all the fabulous food in koreatown. and the empire state building is half a block down, one block to the left. seriously...

the only only complaint i have is the world's slowest, most annoying elevator. you have to give yourself at least 10 extra minutes to get down to the lobby. and that's not even at busy time. i could walk the 11 flights faster.

but honestly, that's my only complaint. rooms are smallish (it IS manhattan), but clean and nicely furnished. coffee, tea and hot chocolate on the mezzanine always. didn't partake of the breakfasts (never got up early enough), but nice to have an option.

this is my second time at this hotel. first time was 8 years ago; it was a red roof inn. now it's the nyma. and i would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cheryl_CA
Stoneham, MA
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a very good hotel - the essence of value. It's hard to find a European-style value hotel in NYC. Most charge exorbitant extras for wi-fi and breakfast, and offer no discount on parking. This hotel is the exception. It offers breakfast (very good!) and wi-fi included, and discounted overnight parking for less than I paid for 3 hours four crosstown blocks from the Intrepid Museum!

I tested the wi-fi and it was off the charts on Speedtest.net - 25Mbps download and >10Mbps upload. Inexplicably, they block the Apple App store.

The room was small but very clean and well appointed, as was the shower.

The breakfast room was a bit small for the size of the hotel. The exercise room was small, but because the hotel has a high percentage of Asian and European guests who seem not as much into exercise as many Americans, the four treadmills and three steppers and weight machine were always open.

The location just off 5th was great. This is "little Korea" street; the bakery beside the hotel looked European, until you went inside, and saw the icky Asian versions of French pastries. There is a Pinkberry across the street, though.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Slow elevators - low floors probably best
1 Thank Mel_StonehamMA
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel has a fabulous location in mid-town, just off of 5th Ave, close to shopping and good restaurants. My room was a good size, clean, had plenty of hot water, and a view of the Empire State Building. Breakfast was fabulous. Best of all was the price. Just 99 dollars for such a central location. Staff weren't chatty, but were very efficient. I had a small plumbing problem the first day and it was fixed instantly. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Travelibrarian
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at NYMA over a snowy weekend in February 2013. The staff was very helpful and go us into our room as soon as it was available. The rooms were small but very clean and since we were not in it much, very workable.
The Pros:
Located in Koreantown - great restaurants - try Haruhana down the street
Located one block from the Empire State Building
One block from the subway
Lots a shopping nearby
One subway stop away from Times Square
Good (not great) free breakfast
Nice lobby tv room with free coffee and hot chocolate
The Cons:
The toilet paper is horrible - we went out and bought our own
Ice machine on our floor did not work - told the front desk and still not working when we left
Very slow elevators - only two for many floors
All in all, we enjoyed our stay. The place is great for a weekend. We heard other people staying there say that it was very noisy but we did not experience it. We would stay here again but bring our own toilet paper.

4 Thank RabyFamily
Reviewed February 9, 2013

clean friendly tidy ..... great location 1 minute to subway 5 minute to macys and shops 10 minutes to times square ... 5th avenue at the end of the road cant go wrong !! would suggest to anyone family friends or business

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends