“This lovely hotel is in itself a reason to go to New York.”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 27, 2011

The Library Hotel has mastered the art of providing guests with all the comforts and amenities of a classy hotel with the intimacy and privacy of feeling "at home." The staff is attentive, discreet and kind. The room was immaculately clean and incredibly sound-proof. In the cozy seclusion of our room, we did not hear a footstep, a voice or a door opening and closing at any time of day or night. The second floor reading room where breakfast and afternoon wine/cheese are served is exceptionally pleasant. We looked forward to stopping back at the hotel in the middle of the day just to relax for a few moments en route to the next activity - it is that pretty a spot. Even after many years staying at hotels in Paris, Istanbul and Madrid, and so on, I have never loved a place enough to write a review, but this hotel is special news. The bed was super comfortable and the turn-down service in the evening was charming. I was traveling with my daughter for her 11th birthday, and every staff person we encountered wished her a happy birthday and treated her as if her birthday was a special occasion in the hotel. Thanks to the graciousness and enthusiasm of the staff, it is a birthday we will always remember. I can't find adjectives that are glowing and emphatic enough to describe the Library Hotel...but I absolutely cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ericalbany

Reviewed February 25, 2011

If you want a comfortable, friendly and stylish hotel in the heart of Manhattan - look no further! Our room was a deluxe queen - it was a good size and very confortable. There was some noise from the road during the night - but this is New York City! The staff were great - friendly, helpful and all service was a very high standard. The continental breakfast was fresh and a perfect way to start a day sightseeing! The breakfast room was busy on some days - but we enjoyed sitting and chatting to others about sights/things to do etc. We enjoyed the nibbles throughout the day and cheese&wine in the evening. The hotel location is great - central station just round the corner - 5th Avenue a 2 minute walk. The hotel had a very relaxing feel - we loved it!

1  Thank Clareinthemiddle
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I've no idea how they do it, but the Library Hotel has cornered the art of making a stay in a hotel in New York City perfect. You will have read in all the reviews that the staff are amazing...they are in every way.... but further than that is what seems to be a core philosophy of the hotel which is dedicated to making a stay in New York such a full and restful experience. Enthusiastic but calm, generous and lively. This is superb and I can only uphold all the other positive comments made. Thank you Library Staff....ps we stayed in the paranormal room ...there may have been a whistling visitor!!!

1  Thank xjosettex
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights mid-February 2011. The staff was incredibly friendly and gave great recommendations for dining and nightlife. All of the staff were so nice -- not just front desk employees. It was so refreshing to feel welcomed at all times. Rooms were nice, quiet, clean. Breakfast was very good. And the complimentary nightly wine and cheese was fantastic!

1  Thank togirl999
Reviewed February 22, 2011

My colleague and I travelled to the Library Hotel for a very brief stay. With it being an NYC hotel we didn't have high hopes, but our expectations couldn't have been any further from the truth. Easy to find, fantastic greeting, wonderful welcome, beautiful room and the best night's sleep I've had in a hotel for a long time!

This hotel is a cut above the rest in so many ways. Complimentary bottled water in your room every day, complimentary cookies, coffee and pink lemonade (or tea as is my preference) all day on the 2nd floor reading room, complimentary breakfast of fruits, yoghurts, toast & bagels and a chance to mix with other hotel guests if you wish (we had an hour long conversation with two lovely ladies that made our breakfast a real treat!). As if all of this wasn't great, from 5pm there is a wine and cheese selection in the Reading Room for guests to enjoy - complimentary too!

The wifi connectivity was brilliant while the hotel was quiet, but do be warned that once a few people start to use it it does slow up. But as our friends on the Library Hotel staff said "Make time for fun as well as work".

This hotel is positioned next to my favourite area in NYC - Bryant Park. We were within walking distance of all the shopping and sights and right next to Grand Central Station. As few reviewers commented on the noise. My room was on the 9th floor and I slept soundly. I think a little noise was to be expected - it's New York City after all - but compared with other hotels I've stayed in in the city, I couldn't have hoped for a better night's sleep.

Arriving with low expectations, I can tell you 100% that we were totally wrong. We were so happy with the hotel that 2 days just wasn't long enough, we wanted to stay there and soak everything in for much longer!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Munchkin1981
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I stayed in the Library Hotel last August with my partner and came back again for 2 nights in February on a solo trip, which gave me a new perspective on the hotel. It's an excellent choice for solo travelers. They have single rooms at lower prices, which is quite rare in the US in my experience. The breakfast and the cheese/wine reception are great whether you're traveling solo or not, but the ambience of the Reading Room makes it perfectly possible to read a book while sipping a glass of wine without feeling like a nae mates. The staff are very friendly, as all the reviews attest, and the free DVDs available at reception are also welcome to the single traveler who prefers to spend the evening in. Last time I stayed in the Library my biggest complaint was the street noise. This time I didn't notice, even though I had a room on the 3rd floor. Possibly sound travels further in the summer? Also very nice toiletries, and the free wifi was very useful.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Only stayed one night but thoroughly enjoyed it. The library theme was whimsical and well executed - stylish not corny. The bedding was high quality. The "poetry garden terrace" was relaxing with interesting views. Romantic and very comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple