“Pleased with experience at Library Hotel”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #7 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I am not usually one to write reviews about hotels, but I am compelled to say that the Library Hotel was one of the best hotels that I have encountered.

Not only was the hotel easy to find and in a convenient location (Bryant Park was wonderful, and the hotel was right across the street from Grand Central Station), but its staff was courteous to the point of being too courteous -- and that's a good thing!

As a solo female traveler, I wanted to feel safe, and I generally felt safe at the Library Hotel. There were several other solo female travelers (whom I encountered at breakfast). The one insignificant concern I have is that when I returned from exploring the city later at night (around midnight), I saw that there was no one watching the front door, which was wide open (perhaps the staff was on a break or in the back room for the moment). Nonetheless, the surrounding area is safe, so I wasn't too concerned.

The staff was very accommodating and had upgraded me to a slightly larger room for free without my asking (I was looking for a cozy room since I was traveling alone, and this room was the perfect size). I arrived early, and though the room was not yet ready, the front desk people invited me to partake in their breakfast (which was delicious, really good fruit, hardboiled eggs, pastries, cereal, a whole assortment!) and use their business center. I went out for the day, and by the time I returned in the evening, a comfortable, cozy, and very clean room was chosen for me.

The themed rooms provide added value to this hotel. Not only did it feel like a cute boutique hotel, but the personalized theme rooms really appealed to me. I was placed in a room with the theme of "Ethics," which is right up the alley of my interests (I had requested a room along this theme, and they generously provided!)

In addition, I felt a sense of community in this hotel -- despite the usually temporary feeling that one gets at hotels. I went to the library of the hotel at tea-time, and there were plenty of other travelers there enjoying their free pastries and juice. The Library Hotel seems to always have complimentary food available in the lounge. And I sat with a couple of other friendly solo travelers and we had a short and interesting conversation about New York fashion week! (It's not true at all that NYC is an unfriendly city...the atmosphere of the Library Hotel was one of the friendliest I had encountered).

I have already recommended this hotel to a friend and think very highly of it. When I visit NYC again, I plan on staying at the Library Hotel, most definitely.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stay in NYC at least 5 times per year, and have had our favorites over the years, which we have posted here. But the last time we thought we would stop at the Library Hotel since our trip brought us to the New York Public Library for research. What a great place. at the corner of Madison and 41st it is easy to get to Grand Central and Penn Station, as well as being just a few steps off Fifth. The Staff was courteous and friendly, as well as knowledgeable and helpful, and we were able to check in early (unusual, but not unheard of).
Caveat: The rooms are small - this is not a suite hotel, but rather a well appointed, pied-a-terre in the city, where they make use of every square foot of space. Very clean, the room was perfect for us - and even with a room across from the elevator, and a very light sleeper, the room was quiet and peaceful.
Good internet service, and the continental breakfast provided gratis was excellent. The prior evening there was also a wine and cheese reception, which was a nice way to unwind after a day walking the city and doing research.
Will go there again in a heartbeat. Our new favorite hotel in NYC.

Reviewed February 16, 2011

I picked this hotel due to its excellent reviews and I was not disappointed. The staff was charming, helpful and just wonderful. It felt like we were staying in a cozy B&B not in the middle of NYC. The morning and late afternoon snacks on the second floor were great. We ended each sightseeing day by stopping there to sit relax enjoy a scone and latte while we discussed our day. Because it was our anniversary I ordered the wine for our room. To my surprise and delight they adored the room with rose petals for our entrance. The aroma and display were just heartwarming. The location was great we alked everwahere even though it was 20 degrees outside. We will be back!

1  Thank GoinsOhio
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My husband & I enjoyed The Library Hotel. A small, B&B feel: breakfast offers fresh fruits, juices, etc. The afternoon wine/cheese hours is not to be missed. and when the city was windy & cold, the 14th floor sunroom felt wonderful. The staff was helpful and friendly.
The room was quiet & the Yoga student in the duo enjoyed exploring the Buddha books in the Eastern Religion topic room. the shelves of books contribute to the warm feeling of the hotel. Would I stay there again? For sure!

Reviewed February 15, 2011

with The Library Hotel and its location. Also enjoyed the daily delicious complimentary breakfast and wine/cheese time. The room was clean, quiet and very comfortable. The location couldn't have been better - we were easily able to walk to many of the places we were visiting during our weekend stay. The staff couldn't have been nicer, and they offer parking at a conveniently located lot for only $25 per night. We loved the hotel and will definitely return soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2011

Our two-night stay at the Library Hotel was great. The room was compact but perfectly outfitted and very attractive. Extremely clean. Beautiful bathroom. We were on the 6th floor and did not hear any street noise. Great, friendly service. The "Reading Room" served a terrific continental breakfast and a wine and cheese evening reception, included in the room rate. Both were generous and beautifully presented. Great location for walking to theatre district, shopping, museums, etc. and also near plenty of subways. My only issue was that we wanted a nightcap after returning from a show, but the rooftop bar was being used by a private party, and the adjoining restaurant, Madison & Vine, closed at 11; however, the restaurant manager let us in for a glass of wine.

Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed 5 nts. & LOVED everything about the hotel (except AC - see below) - staff were helpful, breakfast daily was lovely, the rooms were nice & spacious (I booked a Jr suite w/ sofa bed), bed was VERY comfortable & We LOVED the location... the only thing was a BIG thing. It was 80*+ during our stay & the AC was crazy loud - in hindsight we should've talked to the front desk about it but we thought (& still beleive) that's just the way it was. We COULDN'T sleep - we bought ear plugs, took melatonin and STILL couldn't sleep well, if we turned the AC off, of course, we were way too hot.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S_Leach
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

Dear S_Leach,

We are happy that you loved everything about the Library Hotel during your time with us. However, we do see that the noisy AC unit was bothersome for you. So, we thought we would update and you advise that we’ve already gone into all of our Junior Suite rooms since your September 2010 stay and performed maintenance on our AC units. After a few bolts were tightened it seemed to do the trick to help quiet the flow of air. We do hope that the AC unit issue doesn’t deter you from staying with us again and please next time advise us of anything that may make your stay uncomfortable. We take great pride in doing whatever we can to assist our guests. Please feel free to contact me should you have any further feedback at yogini@libraryhotel.com.

_ Yogini Patel, Honorary Librarian, and the staff at the Library Hotel