“Great Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I learned of this great boutique hotel on tripadvisor.com. Stayed in a junior suite . Plenty of room and drawer and closet space for clothes. The hotel features a very nice rooftop indoor/outdoor bar as well as a second floor reading room that also serves as the setting for a daily free continental breakfast and free late afternoon wine and cheese reception. There is a ground floor restaurant that features outdoor seating, weather permitting. There is free high speed internet. The staff is extraordinarily knowledgeable and helpful. The only drawback - and it is a minor one - is the a/c is a bit noisy. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bsieg48

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rome, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We made a trip down into the city from upstate NY for our anniversary weekend. It was our first time staying at the Library Hotel. We were impressed, and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank XTim
Dubai
Reviewed August 18, 2010

In my opinion, and if you have not visited New York a lot of times (more than 5-6), the concierge is one of the most important services of the hotel, it can make all the difference to your stay or not... At the end of the day, you're not in New York to spend your time at the hotel... You want to see the city!! And the library hotel staff will make sure that you see it in the best way possible...
The hotel is clean, romantic, cosy and brilliantly located. I would not say overwhelming, cause I've been to fancier hotel rooms with fancier views and amenities, however, I have to say that the service was overwhelming... From the GM Lenka, to the chief concierge Lennard, to the cheese and wine hostess Roxanna, I don't think I have ever met nicer or more professional staff, who are really concerned about their guests' happiness...

Also, the fact that they include breakfast, afternoon cheese and wine and high speed internet within the room price gives very good value for the money you're paying...

My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay there, and highly recommend this hotel to other people.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Our one night stay in a junior suite was just wonderful! From the moment we arrived until the time we left every single staff member was welcoming, kind, helpful, and just very enjoyable to talk with. They are not at all pretentious. The hotel will validate your ticket at a parking garage just two blocks away, and $25 for 24 hour parking in NYC is a great deal! Our room was ready when we arrived early, and they even gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne for our anniversary.
After being out all afternoon, we took advantage of the evening wine and cheese by taking our glasses up to our room and enjoying it as we relaxed and got ready for dinner! Breakfast was delicious on the second floor with a variety of pastries, cereals, fruit, hard boiled eggs, toast, yogurt and great coffee, or cappuccino!
We stayed on the 8th floor and you do hear street noise. We slept just fine though, and our room was immaculate. The suite was not huge, but spacious and overlooked Madison Ave. We took advantage of the prepay option and saved 20%.I really recommend this hotel; it's a great location, spotlessly clean and comfortable, with a friendly, welcoming and very knowledgable staff.
As an aside, we have stayed at a sister hotel to this one several times ; The Hotel Elysee at E. 54th, which I would also recommend for all the same reasons.

London
Reviewed August 18, 2010

This trip was for my partner's 40th birthday, and the place really helped to make it special. The service was attentive but not obtrusive, efficient without being stuffy, and the staff were always smiling (great sense of humour on the front desk!) and very helpful. The Library theme is a brilliant concept - it really adds character to the whole experience. By sheer coincidence, our room was particularly romantic for us, because we were on the 10th floor (General Knowledge) and stayed in the Museums room (we met in the V&A!). The room was small but well appointed, comfy bed, air con that worked (and we needed that!) and soundproofing that meant we actually slept well. The maid service was excellent, too.
Being right in the heart of Manhattan meant that we could cram loads into our weekend - we managed to visit all five boroughs to get a feel for the different areas of New York.
The best bit about Library Hotel has to be the amazing breakfast and afternoon cheese and wine. Unlike many hotels, It feels more like being in a club, with a more relaxed feel and great surroundings in which to revive yourself. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Pully, Switzerland
Reviewed August 17, 2010

It's a shame because the Library Hotel was really lovely, but the room was so noisy I don't think I would stay there again. I put a good night's sleep above all else in a hotel, even above daily complimentary cheese and wine, continental breakfast, free wifi in room, lots of reading material, handy location, all of which we greatly appreciated. The first morning when I tried to see if we could be moved to a quieter room (we couldn't - the hotel is ALL on the street side) one guy at the desk asked me rather patronizingly if I came from a small town. (In retrospect this touch of New York attitude was quite a relief among the otherwise obsequious service. And to be fair the other two were very sympathetic and running round finding me earplugs.) I know it's NYC, I know it's noisy. But we came to this hotel immediately after hotels in downtown Vancouver and San Francisco, which were wonderfully quiet. And there are quiet hotel rooms in New York - I've stayed in them! Get some triple glazing or double windows, and the hotel will REALLY be an oasis in the middle of Manhattan.

1 Thank CityGirlCH
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2010

The rooms are tiny and cost a fortune- they're also very noisy! However the service and welcome at this hotel can't be beaten. The staff are so friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay a good one. The free breakfast was delicious and you can't beat the complimentary evening reception. If I had the money I would stay there again!

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo